DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery drain

Sevier456

Reactions
Has anybody found a safe way to completely drain your battery. Also may be a way to completely take away all the low battery warning's

Draining it safely isn't the problem. It's recharging it safely where it gets hairy. I guess my question is: "Why?"

Reactions: Rbruz
I was told that to pro long battery life it's better to completely drain your battery to zero

For instance on my lab top it never is 100 percent it gets to 99 and stops

My bebop 2 I literally hover 1 foot off the ground till it completely dies then I charge it

You were told wrong, Don't do it, these are lithium polymer batteries and draining them all the way is probably one of the worst things you can do to them. What you were told is a throwback from the days when rechargeable batteries would get a memory meaning if they were only discharged to say 50% all the time then eventually that's all you would get out of them. This isn't true with these type of batteries.

Lithium batteries last I knew the ideal conditions are 20-80% charge, best not to fully discharge or leave at 100% which the mavic batteries don't do if you leave them anyway, built in discharge after 3-10 days

I was told that to pro long battery life it's better to completely drain your battery to zero

For instance on my lab top it never is 100 percent it gets to 99 and stops

My bebop 2 I literally hover 1 foot off the ground till it completely dies then I charge it

OK -- what you're talking about is not actually "draining", it's reducing the charge to the lowest safe level. Your beebop 2 does what the Mavic does: lands when the battery gets to a critical level.

Use in the battery bank adapter and charge your phone (or other device) until you have 50-60%

I'll most likely be doing that tonight because for the past few days, it's either been too rainy or windy to fly and all 4 of my packs have been sitting at 100% since Saturday (not good)

Has anybody found a safe way to completely drain your battery. Also may be a way to completely take away all the low battery warning's
Take a look at your battery manual. It'll explain how to configure the smart battery so that it starts to discharge after a number of days that you set. It'll discharge until it reaches the optimum charge capacity for long term storage.

And yes, fully discharging Li-Po batteries is a bad idea. The old Ni-Cd batteries needed to be completely discharged in order to avoid the "memory effect", but that's a completely different battery chemistry than Li-Po.

Reactions: butterflyslicer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02