DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Falling Out

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
In a Mavic Mini thread I read a couple of weeks ago, I saw, "there was a storm and high winds and thought if the drone landed on a tree it might fall down and thankfully it did and i did retrieve it.... But the battery cover was open and the battery was missing... how could this happen and is this a defect."

It stuck in my mind along with posts about swelling batteries. Went flying the other day and thought I made sure to press the battery into place. Took off and flew over a local farm for about 20 minutes. At one point, lost VLOS as sun was in my eyes., and walked under the shadow of a farm building.. Finally got back orientation and decided that was enough for the day. Could have used RTH but as I saw the drone about 300m away decided to fly it back. Landed right in front of me perfectly. Picked up the Mavic2 Pro by battery and to my horror, the battery lifted out.

The scare was frightening. Decided to delve into issue. What I found to be the simplest method of prevention is how to insert the battery. Until now, always pushed down hard on middle of battery till hearing a click. What I discovered is you need to hear 2 positive clicks. Press down on front and back separately. See the attached picture for X marking the spots to press.
MavicBattery.jpg

Thanks! Good to know.
How about adding... After the clicks, grab the side of the battery (not the release buttons) and try to pull the battery out. Kinda like making sure the props are well seated in their locks by trying to twist them back and forth.

Thanks! Good to know.
How about adding... After the clicks, grab the side of the battery (not the release buttons) and try to pull the battery out. Kinda like making sure the props are well seated in their locks by trying to twist them back and forth.
Good idea. Makes me think of the old carpentry adage, "Measure twice, cut once."

Thanks! Good to know.

It's a standard procedure for me when I fly the DJI Spark.

I call it the Plug and Tug.

So many stories of the Spark falling out the sky when it was released due to the battery falling off.

DJI did update the locking tabs of the battery but it's still a good pre flight check on all drones to do the Plug and Tug.

I think the problem with your post (OP) is your talking separate aircraft and don't make that totally clear in the post until one deciphers. You speak of a Mini hitting a tree..which would easily dislodge a battery, then bring in the already known issue with some M2P/Z batteries that had swelling issues, then to the point of not evenly properly seating batteries in a Mavic 2 series. All well and good but you could have just skipped the Mini story and got into the "meat" of the discussion which was the M2 series and the "two clicks" that you observed needs to happen.

I have a M2Z and have never experienced what you have shown, nor do I believe your pictures/procedure would be best approach given the locking tabs are not front to back, but side to side.

Therefore to me (at least) the correct locking procedure on a ill fitting battery would be to press firmly on top center, then confirm over one locking tab side location then the other. To hear two clicks if needed, then a tug to confirm. When I insert a battery I note that there are guides on connector (tapered) end and then more on front as well as the 4 on the sides. I press dead center between the two clips, as it was designed to be done and use the guides to allow a straight down insertion vice the rocking method you suggest..just makes sense to me.

By pressing front to back you will inevitably round off the locking clips thus making them less effective to hold. And also weaken the guides as designed to guide it straight down and into locking position proper. Where as applying the pressure where it is indeed needed in a straight down point over the locking mechanism as designed seems to me the preferred and a suggested method. YMMV and IMHO. ;)

Last edited:
I have a M2Z and have never experienced what you have shown, nor do I believe your pictures/procedure would be best approach
Up until the incident a few days ago, even though visually checking battery every time for tight fit, the loosened battery had not occurred previously. Using my appoach a distinct click is heard at front press and back press. Will try your side press technique and will post back should it work better.

You are correct, should have mentioned at outset the related experience was with a Mavic2 Pro.

Where as applying the pressure where it is indeed needed in a straight down point over the locking mechanism as designed seems to me the preferred and a suggested method. YMMV and IMHO. ;)
After actually looking, I see the 2 connection locking tabs on the sides. Although my method works, I have to agree and will use your procedure to press down over the 2 locking tabs from now on.

Below is what is in the manual. It shows an arrow to push down at the front. Considering the issues with swelling batteries and batteries falling out in flight, the full manual and a quick start manual should emphasize the importance of seating the battery correctly.

1612882331853.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61