DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Issues - Mavic Air 2 ?

Geekser

Reactions
I bought the Mavic Air 2 fly more package - and have been loving this awesome Drone. I typically go out and fly using all three batteries before returning home, at which point I have been using the Battery Bar to charge all three batteries.

When I charged them them last night, I had each of them connected to the battery bar. First, one battery would show it's lights (on the power button) one or two lights blinking at first, and after some time when it neared completion, all four lights would be blinking. Then the lights would stop on that battery and the next battery would begin to charge, and it's lights would start to blink.

I kept all three batteries connected until each had gone thru their respective charging - I assumed when the lights were no longer blinking, they had charged to 100%....

So, the next day when I went out to fly the batteries each had considerably less than 100%. One battery had 70%, another had less than 40 and the third had about 50%.

Today, I decided to charge each battery separately, without using the battery bar. This time, when the battery had finished it's charging cycles, I disconnected and added the next. I also checked all three after I finished and they each had either 100% or very close (99%)

So long story - short question - what gives ? Am I doing something wrong when I use the Battery Bar? Has something similar happened to others? Am I better off just doing each battery seperately?

Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I've only used the battery bar once or twice and have been using the single charger every time seeing as how it seems to work faster, so really I'm not sure if there's a problem or not. Just saying what I've been doing and why.

MA2 batteries are "intelligent batteries." They will discharge themselves to 96% after 24 hours and to 60% after 5 days. Even if you leave them on the charger they will discharge to that level until the battery senses that it is being used.

I tend to leave the batteries discharged after flying and then put them on the charger again the night before I know I'll be flying. That way they are at 100%.

I've only used the battery bar once or twice and have been using the single charger every time seeing as how it seems to work faster, so really I'm not sure if there's a problem or not. Just saying what I've been doing and why.
Thanks - I think I will do the same....

Reactions: Himerosteam
MA2 batteries are "intelligent batteries." They will discharge themselves to 96% after 24 hours and to 60% after 5 days. Even if you leave them on the charger they will discharge to that level until the battery senses that it is being used.

I tend to leave the batteries discharged after flying and then put them on the charger again the night before I know I'll be flying. That way they are at 100%.

I understand and I did know that - however, I charged them (and I thought fully charged them) the night before - so when all three batteries were wll below 90% I was really surprised. Possibly my Battery Bar doesn't work right? Regardless, I don't think I will use it anymore. Charging one a time with a direct hookup to the charge seems like it is more reliable.

Thanks for your thoughts

Reactions: Rchawks

I'm also not a big fan of the battery bar, and have also used it only a couple of times. To me there is really no benefit in it, since it charges the batteries in sequence - so no time advantage. Plus I noticed mine gets unusually hot during charging, even with a small fan blowing over it. Didn't like that!

Long story short - I charge the batteries one after the other, using the single charger.

Reactions: Rchawks and Geekser
I understand and I did know that - however, I charged them (and I thought fully charged them) the night before - so when all three batteries were wll below 90% I was really surprised. Possibly my Battery Bar doesn't work right? Regardless, I don't think I will use it anymore. Charging one a time with a direct hookup to the charge seems like it is more reliable.
Based on how my charging bar works, I would say that yours probably has a problem. Maybe experiment a couple more times and if it still doesn't work, you should try to replace it under warranty. I would think you'd be able to replace just the charging bar.

One other thought, the batteries do have firmware that updates to the same firmware as the MA2, but you'll need to use the Assistant app to update each battery individually.

I will say that the charging bar is convenient when it works because you can plug in three batteries and forget about them.

Reactions: Geekser
I'm also not a big fan of the battery bar, and have also used it only a couple of times. To me there is really no benefit in it, since it charges the batteries in sequence - so no time advantage. Plus I noticed mine gets unusually hot during charging, even with a small fan blowing over it. Didn't like that!

Long story short - I charge the batteries one after the other, using the single charger.
Thanks

Based on how my charging bar works, I would say that yours probably has a problem. Maybe experiment a couple more times and if it still doesn't work, you should try to replace it under warranty. I would think you'd be able to replace just the charging bar.

One other thought, the batteries do have firmware that updates to the same firmware as the MA2, but you'll need to use the Assistant app to update each battery individually.

I will say that the charging bar is convenient when it works because you can plug in three batteries and forget about them.

I guess I missed that when I read the manual (I did read cover to cover, but I don't recall seeing that) can you give me a quick overview about how I would go about updating batteries with the assistant ap?

As you know they are smart batteries and their charging performance is also based on battery temperature, maybe they get hotter especially the middle battery when using charging hub. Where as they have more air/space around them when charging one at a time. Just a thought, I have not proved this. However I do know the charging performance is reliant on many factors including temperature. I initially thought they meant decreased charging performance when you try and recharge a battery shortly after draining it in the drone without letting it cool properly, but maybe anytime the battery gets warm charging performance suffers. Wish I had time to investigate this more. I think from now on I will put a fan on them while charging.

Reactions: Geekser
I guess I missed that when I read the manual (I did read cover to cover, but I don't recall seeing that) can you give me a quick overview about how I would go about updating batteries with the assistant ap?
  1. Install DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic
  2. Connect MA2 to computer using USB cable (the one for charging controller will work)
  3. Insert a battery in MA2 and power up
  4. In Assistant click on Mavic Air 2 and see a list of firmware
  5. Tap the latest firmware
  6. If the drone or battery need an update, Assistant will inform you
  7. Install the update
  8. Repeat for each battery (the battery inserted when MA2 was updated will already be updated)

As you know they are smart batteries and their charging performance is also based on battery temperature, maybe they get hotter especially the middle battery when using charging hub.
The charging bar will only charge one battery at a time, starting with the battery with the greatest charge. The heat produced by the charging bar is the same as charging a battery individually. I've used both ways and have not seen a difference in heat.

Yes but let’s say battery number 1 just finished charging for 1 hour + and is warm then it starts charging battery #2 next which is in the middle slot. It’s gonna draw some of the heat from battery 1 that just finished not to mention produce heat of its own. Also less airflow with 2 bricks basically on either side of it. It will define get warmer than charging solo that’s for sure, I am just wondering if this is what’s causing his to not charge fully

Reactions: cien952
what was the room temperature like when you were charging? Could it be that the batteries got too hot & stopped charging to protect themselves?

1. Install DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic
  2. Connect MA2 to computer using USB cable (the one for charging controller will work)
  3. Insert a battery in MA2 and power up
  4. In Assistant click on Mavic Air 2 and see a list of firmware
  5. Tap the latest firmware
  6. If the drone or battery need an update, Assistant will inform you
  7. Install the update
  8. Repeat for each battery (the battery inserted when MA2 was updated will already be updated)
thank you very much!

Thanks @BenAnderson!
i didnt know that even the battery has a firmware and we need to update it periodically. How do we know if there is a battery update without connecting to DJI Assistant 2?

Reactions: earth3rd
i didnt know that even the battery has a firmware and we need to update it periodically. How do we know if there is a battery update without connecting to DJI Assistant 2?
The firmware update will show up in the DJI Fly app if your device is online. You can update the MA2 and the installed battery from Fly--in fact you might be forced to update before flying--or switch to Assistant and update from there. I have the Fly More Combo so that means two batteries are not updated. The firmware number in the MA2 matches the firmware number of the batteries. I have not had Fly force an update to the batteries; however, Assistant will always inform you to do it. Assistant updates are faster probably due to the USB connection and the computer having a faster processor.

Reactions: Dronacharya!
The firmware update will show up in the DJI Fly app if your device is online. You can update the MA2 and the installed battery from Fly--in fact you might be forced to update before flying--or switch to Assistant and update from there. I have the Fly More Combo so that means two batteries are not updated. The firmware number in the MA2 matches the firmware number of the batteries. I have not had Fly force an update to the batteries; however, Assistant will always inform you to do it. Assistant updates are faster probably due to the USB connection and the computer having a faster processor.
Makes sense Ben! Thank you for your inputs..

I followed steps outlined here a few comments ago and connected the MA2 to my PC and launched the Assistant - found there was a firmware update - went thru the update and then switched batteries and both additional batteries also needed to be updated. So all is good. Looking forward to checking out the Gimbal Updates - and other improvements....(hoping that some day soon we will get an update that will allow us to use the Smart Controller....for the time being though, all is good.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Reactions: LoganAir
what was the room temperature like when you were charging? Could it be that the batteries got too hot & stopped charging to protect themselves?
I don't recall the batteries or the Battery Bar being hot or even very warm - but then I wasn't paying attention to that and it might have been. I know I get a full charge when I do the batteries one at a time, I think I will try one more time when all three batteries need to be charged - just to see if it happens again - and this time, I will check battery temps and of course battery bar heat...

Reactions: Ben Anderson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78