DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Levels for shorter storage periods?

jmark

Reactions
Hey, I've been researching this a bit and found conflicting information about battery storage.

If I fly and my battery is down to 24% and plan to fly within 10 days. Should I...

A) Charge it up to between 40-60% if I am not going to fly for a few days? Will only charging it up so much hurt the battery at all?

B) Leave it at 24% until I want to fly again?

C) Or should I just charge up to 100%?

What is the correct way to do it?

B

I trust your answer completely, as I know you have a lot of experience, but I'm just curious. I have heard that leaving them on a low charge like that can damage them. Doing a bit of research has told me that many have chosen to charge them to around 50 as this keeps them more "stable".

Is there any merit to this?

It's best to keep the charge level within this range when the batteries are not in use:

64475b96525f9d8739fa5f05d3920b25ccb60624.png

In your example above, you said you were going to fly again within 10 days. I would even bother charging the battery a bit in this case since it's close enough to the proper range and it wouldn't discharge much more (if any) in less than 10 days.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
It's best to keep the charge level within this range when the batteries are not in use:

View attachment 46886

In your example above, you said you were going to fly again within 10 days. I would even bother charging the battery a bit in this case since it's close enough to the proper range and it wouldn't discharge much more (if any) in less than 10 days.

Great! Thanks for the explanation and the pic

While it is unlikely to harm to battery if you leave it that low for a few days, I really think the best thing to do is charge it closer to 50% whenever you can.

If not only in case you don't fly soon and forget to charge the battery up. I would not personally be comfortable leaving a battery at that charge level for an extended period of time. Getting in a routine is a good habit with batteries.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
If you want to know what’s optimal versus acceptable, then the answer is A.

Quoting page 4 of the Mavic 2 Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines manual:

Battery Storage
Discharge the battery to 40%-60% if it will not be used for 10 days or more, as it can greatly extend the battery life.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom