DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery maintenance

Ralph thompson

Reactions
Looks like DJI has not provided any means to discharge Mavic 3 batteries for hibernating or for on going maintenance. I see there is a third party device that charges just one battery at a time but also allows the M3 battery to be used as a power bank and therefore be used to discharge batteries. Looks like a well engineered product. One obvious concern would be where is the cutoff point in discharging so as not to deplete the battery to zero. Does anyone have any thoughts on this; SYMIK 100W Mavic 3 Battery Charger for DJI Mavic 3

Last edited:
Looks like DJI has not provided any means to discharge Mavic 3 batteries for hibernating or for on going maintenance. I see there is a third party device that charges just one battery at a time but also allows the M3 battery to be used as a power bank and therefore be used to discharge batteries. Looks like a well engineered product. One obvious concern would be where is the cutoff point in discharging so as not to deplete the battery to zero. Does anyone have any thoughts on this; SYMIK 100W Mavic 3 Battery Charger for DJI Mavic 3
I don't use 3rd party devices to "discharge" a battery. (Mavic 3) If I can't get it down myself to a respectable storage level of charge I just WAIT since the batteries are designed to discharge automatically after x number of days... something like down to 96% after 3 days and down to 70something% after 10 days.. I'm not 100% sure about the numbers and days but they definitely discharge on their own.

Certainly, NO reason to BUY a device to do this. imo

Reactions: leebroath
You maybe right, the "Captain's" on the DJI forum say a similar thing. It may be old fashioned thinking but in the early days of flying quads (2012 era) this was one of the most important parts of maintaining the drone.
For now I'll see how it goes, not keen on spending money that isn't necessary and I'll keep a close eye on the voltage drops on the cell's in AIRDATA.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
You maybe right, the "Captain's" on the DJI forum say a similar thing. It may be old fashioned thinking but in the early days of flying quads (2012 era) this was one of the most important parts of maintaining the drone.
For now I'll see how it goes, not keen on spending money that isn't necessary and I'll keep a close eye on the voltage drops on the cell's in AIRDATA.
I get it. You're trying to be proactive.
Thats admirable but it's all a moot point today with current tech. Hopefully, some of these "captains" will chime in and support my educated guesses. +1

The Mavic 3 batteries are almost too good at discharging - in my experience to date if you haven't flown your drone for about a week or more you might want to put them back on the charger before you head out the door because they won't be fully charged any more.

Being a "Captain" on the DJI forum is no guarantee they will give good advice.
Yes ... it's old-fashioned thinking from the days before DJI's smart batteries were available.

DJI provide a battery maintenance guide here:

It only suggests ...
Charge and discharge the batteries to around 15% every 2-3 months to maintain good battery health.
That could be achieved in normal flying without the need for any extra effort.

Yes I had seen DJI had updated their recommendation in the newer drones. It used to say cycle every 10 uses which always seems a little excessive. I suppose flying to 15% is pretty straight forward but I did also find it pretty convenient to cycle the batteries with the Phantom Angel whenever you got to a recommended maintenance point in Airdata.
Well more robust batteries is a good thing, nice to know. Thanks Meta4

Ok I'm interested in this topic from the travel perspective. I haven't traveled by air with my drone yet, and I would like to think there was a way to safely discharge your batteries down to say 1 light or 30% so that you can avoid issues with airport security if they happen to check. (not just U.S. but last summer I was in Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam).

Ok I'm interested in this topic from the travel perspective. I haven't traveled by air with my drone yet, and I would like to think there was a way to safely discharge your batteries down to say 1 light or 30% so that you can avoid issues with airport security if they happen to check. (not just U.S. but last summer I was in Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam).
There is no need to do this.
No airline or air safety authority suggests that you should discharge your batteries before flying.
No-one at the airport cares about the charge level in your batteries.
All you have to do is make sure that the batteries are in your carry-on and not in your checked luggage.

There is no need to do this.
No airline or air safety authority suggests that you should discharge your batteries before flying.
No-one at the airport cares about the charge level in your batteries.
All you have to do is make sure that the batteries are in your carry-on and not in your checked luggage.
Awesome. Is there really a 2 battery carry on limit for Mavic 3 sized batteries?

Awesome. Is there really a 2 battery carry on limit for Mavic 3 sized batteries?
Unless your airline has their own strange rules, that's not correct.
Where did you get the idea from?

Go to the airline's website and search for battery or lithium to see their rules.

I know you can contact your particular airline and request a form to download that will allow you to "pre" approve your batteries. This might save you from getting them taken from you somewhere away from home. humph.
At least this is what is done for the OneWheel which, of course, is a much much larger lipo battery.
Nothing about this is relevant to travelling with Mavic batteries.
I recommend you contact the airline. This is a common question for them.
You are only confusing him with this.
It's completely unnecessary.
People travel with Mavic batteries all the time and no-one is getting them taken away.

Nothing about this is relevant to travelling with Mavic batteries.

You are only confusing him with this.
It's completely unnecessary.
People travel with Mavic batteries all the time and no-one is getting them taken away.
You're correct. I made things a ton more difficult than they needed to be.
It's not the first time I've heard that before. ugh

I deleted my post first thing this morning. It was definitely useless info here.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98