DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Management Tip

Jack in Dixie

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Happened upon this YouTube video earlier today, thought is was a clever way to manage charged, and un-charged DJI drone batteries. Hope some members also find it useful. I personally never knew such an item(s) existed:

CLICK: Watch On YouTube (below)

The video is 4:00 minutes long that could probably be condensed to <1 minute, but aren't most YouTube videos full of 'fluff'?

Enjoy!

- Jack

Last edited:
Reactions: CvCow
I used these red/green on all my FPV drones and Mavic 3 drones and yeah they cost money but they also double as connector protectors. They all have power buttons but when you have a bag full of 6-8 batteries and you are letting them cool to revisit and recharge them later, it's just a tad bit easier to know which ones to grab. I really need to use this 3d printer. I don't think there is one for the Mini3 and I don't think the Mini 3 has buttons on the battery.

Reactions: Jack in Dixie
You still have to put in the drone or charger to know what window to display :)

That is an interesting tip, but let's say that the last time you used the battery, you charged it up, but it has been some time since you charged it, how charged does it have to be to be considered charged, what if it's discharged down to 50% from just sitting, is it still considered charged? Alternatively, it turns out that the battery is having issues and you think it is fully charged, but in reality, the problem battery loses its charge in a week or so… Just asking?

That is an interesting tip, but let's say that the last time you used the battery, you charged it up, but it has been some time since you charged it, how charged does it have to be to be considered charged, what if it's discharged down to 50% from just sitting, is it still considered charged? Alternatively, it turns out that the battery is having issues and you think it is fully charged, but in reality, the problem battery loses its charge in a week or so… Just asking?
For sure, that's why this isn't 100%. I have a bag full of green tips (charged) when I go to fly and if it's been awhile, I have to check one and it 50% so I know the entire bag is not really green any more. In this example, since it's a manual switch, this really only helps if you are using the batteries every few day or I dunno, if you leave them on the charger does it stay charged? Like others I can't really see you needing this for 1 or 2 batteries but when you have a bunch, it's really helpful to pick out the dead ones (red) which actually never charge themselves. :)

if it's been awhile
Without doing any research, I am under the impression that the hub will slowly discharge the battery and not the battery itself outside the hub. You do not want to keep the batteries at full charge as it shortens the battery life…

I have three batteries and keep them in the hub for this reason.

That is an interesting tip, but let's say that the last time you used the battery, you charged it up, but it has been some time since you charged it, how charged does it have to be to be considered charged,
It has to be 100% to go flying.
what if it's discharged down to 50% from just sitting, is it still considered charged?
No way.
If it's showing 50%, the actual percentage usable could be much less.
The % indicator gives a false reading unless the battery has been freshly charged.
Many flyers have learned the hard way that 50% is not 50% (unless you've just flown it down to 50%)..

Without doing any research, I am under the impression that the hub will slowly discharge the battery and not the battery itself outside the hub. You do not want to keep the batteries at full charge as it shortens the battery life…

I have three batteries and keep them in the hub for this reason.
You heard wrong.

All DJI Intelligent Batteries have had a built-in automatic discharge feature going back to at least the Mavic Pro (can't remember if my P3 batteries did). The delay (in days) used to be configurable. No need to leave in the hub, it's not a participant.

In fact, there was a bug (since fixed) in the firmware for the Mini 2 batteries that would completely self-discharge, rather than to 60%, if it detected it was in the charge hub.

All DJI Intelligent Batteries have had a built-in automatic discharge
I have had my Mini 2 for almost 2-years and I remember when the update to the Batteries came in and I was instructed to insert each battery into the drone to update the Firmware. But as I remember it, before the update, the batteries did not self-discharge and that was bad, bad, bad…

I have to tweak my thinking again as you are right about the Hub not being a participant in that feature…

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne