DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery mod - why doesn't DJI do it ?

But the Autel EVO II can do 40 minutes .....
No it can't! Autel also claims a range on their Autel Smart Controller of 8 miles in heavily congested urban areas! That battery starts out at 34 minutes in their app, and delivers less than 30 minutes of flight time, averaging 25 minutes at 34 mph, same as the Mavic 2 Pro, that claims 31 minutes The actual true range of Autel's Smart Controller is about a mile, in the same area where DJI's OcuSync 3.0 is good to over 5 miles!

Autel Robotics sells snake oil!

No it can't! Autel also claims a range on their Autel Smart Controller of 8 miles in heavily congested urban areas! That battery starts out at 34 minutes in their app, and delivers less than 30 minutes of flight time, averaging 25 minutes at 34 mph, same as the Mavic 2 Pro, that claims 31 minutes The actual true range of Autel's Smart Controller is about a mile, in the same area where DJI's OcuSync 3.0 is good to over 5 miles!

Autel Robotics sells snake oil!
I agree autel's advertising is snake oil. But the, I find most manufacturers claims are a bit over exaggerated. I have flown both the Mavic 2 and EVO2 side by side. The flight times of both are less than advertised, but that also depends on wind conditions. I do have to say the EVO2's flight time is at least 5 maybe 8 minutes longer than the MAV2's. That's a side by side same day comparison, which I did like 3 times just to make sure. I don't know about range distances, but I use modded antenna systems on both the Autel and DJI. Both OEMs boasted High ranges, but both failed to live up to their promises. SO I converted or modded both Remotes to amplified antenna systems. Now I can at least get 5 miles from each of them. The battery is the only distance limiter. The DJIs are definitely more agile and more stable than the Autels. That goes for all DJI's products. But Autel's Gimbal compensates so well the fight behavior isn't noticable on film.

What else was I going to mention. Because EVO2 is using an 8K, better for daylight shooting, and a 6K ,great for low light and night video, the video is much cleaner and crisper than the MAV2. THIS will change when the MAV3 series or whatever they will call it is released. October or later in 2021 is the last I heard it may or may not be released. There is one other problem I have with Autel. The gimbal control, when zoomed doesn't compensate when the camera is zoomed. So even the slightest touch of an EVO2's gimbal at 4x or 6x, the gimbal will go flying way off the subject matter. The DJI air2s seems to slow it's gimbal when the user zooms the camera into a subject. The reduced speed at highly zoomed setting allows the subject matter to stay within frame. Maybe there is a setting on the EVO2's gimbal control, but I haven't looked.

Enjoy the weekend, today is Saturday, Jul 24th 2021.

I agree autel's advertising is snake oil. But the, I find most manufacturers claims are a bit over exaggerated. I have flown both the Mavic 2 and EVO2 side by side. The flight times of both are less than advertised, but that also depends on wind conditions. I do have to say the EVO2's flight time is at least 5 maybe 8 minutes longer than the MAV2's. That's a side by side same day comparison, which I did like 3 times just to make sure. I don't know about range distances, but I use modded antenna systems on both the Autel and DJI. Both OEMs boasted High ranges, but both failed to live up to their promises. SO I converted or modded both Remotes to amplified antenna systems. Now I can at least get 5 miles from each of them. The battery is the only distance limiter. The DJIs are definitely more agile and more stable than the Autels. That goes for all DJI's products. But Autel's Gimbal compensates so well the fight behavior isn't noticable on film.

What else was I going to mention. Because EVO2 is using an 8K, better for daylight shooting, and a 6K ,great for low light and night video, the video is much cleaner and crisper than the MAV2. THIS will change when the MAV3 series or whatever they will call it is released. October or later in 2021 is the last I heard it may or may not be released. There is one other problem I have with Autel. The gimbal control, when zoomed doesn't compensate when the camera is zoomed. So even the slightest touch of an EVO2's gimbal at 4x or 6x, the gimbal will go flying way off the subject matter. The DJI air2s seems to slow it's gimbal when the user zooms the camera into a subject. The reduced speed at highly zoomed setting allows the subject matter to stay within frame. Maybe there is a setting on the EVO2's gimbal control, but I haven't looked.

Enjoy the weekend, today is Saturday, Jul 24th 2021.
Which amplified antenna system are you using most successfully with the EVO 2?

We need some good battery mods for the Mavic 2 to support the new extended ranges, and get EVO 2 flight times! Glad the EVO 2 is actually delivering more flight time than the Mavic 2, once the range issues are overcome, even if nowhere close to 40 minutes. I have lost signal so frequently on the EVO 2 that I haven’t been able to truly test the flight time in a comparable manner to the Mavic 2 Pro. Good info on the Air 2S on the zoom. I'll have play with that more! One more weekend day left!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada