DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Overheated During Discharge

The Bob

Reactions
Anyone ever seen this? Should I be concerned?
I was pushing it pretty hard in sport mode.. not really that hot out... upper 70's.

20190919_120442.jpg20190919_120455.jpg

a high current draw will cause the warning message to appear ,the battery naturally heats up during use ,and bombing along in sport mode is a sure fire way to heat things up

Reactions: The Bob
a high current draw will cause the warning message to appear ,the battery naturally heats up during use ,and bombing along in sport mode is a sure fire way to heat things up
Yeah.. I am using NLD Sport+ so it was being abused at the time for about an 8 minute run. I will be sure to watch the battery cells in the app and make sure no crazy variance.

A sure fire way of of killing all your batts and maybe lose your Aircraft Sport+ is to much for these batteries especially if there aging.. When you get the warning your batt temp is over 70c not good ask me how i know i've done it all to my mavic over the years she has been stock for the last year and she is perfect for me. have fun watch those batts during your flights to make sure there okay.

Reactions: The Bob
When you get the warning your batt temp is over 70c not good

I think that was the outdoor air temperature (not battery temp), which is only around 26c, quite mild.

But maybe the battery is coming to the end of it's safe life ?

If you don't get this warning with other batteries, then I'd ditch it (well, recycle responsibly).

I'd try it again (once) if the error message appears, RTH asap, check battery stats straight after landed (vs doing it in the air when distracted).
Then fly another battery (or all you have in turn) and compare stats of health and temp.

not out door temp!!! the mavic does not know outside temp it knows it's batt temp well. if you get a batt temp warning its over 70c period..

not out door temp!!! the mavic does not know outside temp it knows it's batt temp well. if you get a batt temp warning its over 70c period..

I think he was guessing the outdoor temp > > "not really that hot out... upper 70's".
Not sure about temp for warning level, never had one appear with my MP, even flying at ambient air temps 35c (95f +), though I don't normally fly sports mode.

I had a quick look to see if I could find out about the temp warning, and how it relates to battery temp.
Not much out there . . . Many stated they have flown with battery temps of up to 145f (62c) and not had warnings, so you are probably right about the approx temps with a warning being very high.

I'd do the tests as above (my post 6) and consider if that battery is alone in its behaviour compared to any other under the same conditions, then decide if it's worth continuing to use it.

Fairly new battery.. maybe 50 cycles. Battery checks out.. no bad variances and since that day I have had no other warnings on that battery. Yeah Outside temps not battery.
I think the Sport+ and 40+mph was just too much for it... I backed off the settings just to keep it safe.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54