DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Saftey

-MavicMiniPilot

Reactions
I’ve been flying micro FPV quads for years but sold all my DJI drones to buy some bigger 4s quads. Getting a lot of new batteries wanted me to test what the safest option was. I decided to use fireworks as placeholders for batteries but it shows how lipo safe bags work. This was an extra bag laying around that I wanted to experiment with - I recommend metal safes rather than these types of bags.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I wonder how a US government surplus 50 cal ammo can would work?

View attachment 176043
I’m sold. Now all I have to do is find an army surplus store up here in Vancouver Canada. I have 8 DJI batteries, 2 small iPhone sized power packs, 2 vacuum batteries, and 8 hand power tool batteries…great application. I do have the bag which I use for plane or car travel…it is now my secondary source. I do buy good brand name, but, whose to say you have a lemon 🍋

Thanks again…safety first

🇨🇦👍

I wonder how a US government surplus 50 cal ammo can would work?

View attachment 176043
This is what I use. I was told to take the rubber seal/ grommet off from around the lid. Supposedly to vent gases and flame to escape. Also keep it in the garage away from things.
Thankfully, I’ve never had an issue with a battery in years of flying.

Reactions: YVRGUY
So interesting thread and a few points:

LI batteries don't explode they deflagrate (has to do with the speed of the reaction and resulting release of energy - deflagration is slightly slower than an explosion but still violent); fireworks explode so the difference between release of energy and gases is slightly different. Remember that in the case of batteries that they produce a LOT of off gassing during a thermal event (estimate one liter of gas for every watt hour of capacity) meaning whatever enclosure you choose it must have the capability to vent overpressure off gassing or it may become pressurized and fail.

Battery failures often result in the ejection under pressure of molten metal and other hot materials that can be propelled at a great distance and spread the fire (frag).

At present there is really no established standard (e.g.: UL, FM or other standards agency) to test or evaluate protective bags or storage containers for batteries but they are under development. There is a lot of activity in the R&D of these devices/containment systems but be careful as it is largely unregulated (in the US at least). Do not be confused by shipping containers, they serve a completely different purpose and are designed to only contain a thermal event for batteries at 30%SOC (state of charge) or less

I did find an interesting company that makes thermally protected containers that might be a good fit for UAS users and stopped and looked at their stuff recently at a fire protection conference. They look well made but as in the case of anything new I always am cautions and they are not cheap but do show testing that contains the gas and thermal release of batteries in thermal runaway at 100% state of charge..

One container they make that looks promising is a sleeve that will hold several battery modules, or a tablet or laptop and is rated to .3KWH (300 watts). The largest DJI inspire battery is around 100 watt hours so it could hold three of those safely.

Here is a link to their web site if you wish to learn more: SafeSLEEVE KULR Technology

The best guidance out there for battery safety is to INSPECT every time you use or charge, pull them from service and replace if they show ANY discoloration, bulging, or emit odors, charge ONLY when your present (and awake) and in a place that will not block your means of egress (the way out in case of fire). Only use OEM batteries and chargers, do not MODIFY or REBUILD battery packs.

Good discussion, keep talking and fly safe!

I’m sold. Now all I have to do is find an army surplus store up here in Vancouver Canada. I have 8 DJI batteries, 2 small iPhone sized power packs, 2 vacuum batteries, and 8 hand power tool batteries…great application. I do have the bag which I use for plane or car travel…it is now my secondary source. I do buy good brand name, but, whose to say you have a lemon 🍋

Thanks again…safety first

🇨🇦👍
YVR: Be careful- If you add up the watt capacity of all the batteries that your describing the total is not gonna be contained by the ammo can; consider segregating/separating the batteries to create smaller potential releases instead of one big combined one. One way to control a hazard is to separate it from others, this is especially critical when dealing with LI battery systems as they easily spread to or cascade to other nearby modules or cells during a thermal runaway event.

If one cooks off in the can it has the potential to initiate a reaction in the rest.

YVR: Be careful- If you add up the watt capacity of all the batteries that your describing the total is not gonna be contained by the ammo can; consider segregating/separating the batteries to create smaller potential releases instead of one big combined one. One way to control a hazard is to separate it from others, this is especially critical when dealing with LI battery systems as they easily spread to or cascade to other nearby modules or cells during a thermal runaway event.

If one cooks off in the can it has the potential to initiate a reaction in the rest.
Bcdf29 thanks for the heads up. tstr14 removed the rubber seal for venting purposes…I will do the same. I’ve decided to store only my Air 2S and Mini 3 Pro batteries only and add a 1/2” hole to the sides of the box…just below the lid. So, there will be room to move and breathe. I store them at 60% when away from home for long periods. Still it will be nice to know they’re better secured and safer in the ammo box regarding fire safety. ✅

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
james7