DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Storage immediately after flight(s) - Avoid Swelling?

What do you do with your used battery once it is done?

• Leave in drone til I can get back home to charge.

• Take out of drone and replace with another battery.

• Take out of drone and leave drone batteryless so that both drone and battery can cool down.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Air_Deo

Reactions
Hi all ... what is your procedure after your flights in terms of battery storage? Do you immediately take out the battery and let it cool off? Was just wondering because I have seen some videos on YouTube that have said that their batteries have warped/swelled a bit due to the heat generated in the drone and in the battery ... causing the battery to not sit flushly upon installation.

I'm thinking separating them immediately after flight might potentially avoid this problem and prolong battery longevity.

Thoughts?

Edited: included video forward to 2:10 ... he talks about possible battery swell in Mavic 2 Series batteries and how it doesn't allow the battery to sit flushly in the drone.

Last edited:
I haven't flown my MA2 yet but I would think the biggest issue with causing the battery to swell beside age would be flying in very hot conditions, or storing in a hot car too long, charging too soon after using. What I've seen in the manual tells me the batteries tend to self discharge to protect itself. Again I'm learning here myself.

I take the warm/drained battery out, if I’m going to keep flying I let the AC cool a few minutes and then keep flying, and keep the warm/drained in a cool place while I keep flying. When I’m done I give it all a bit to cool down before packing up...

I haven't flown my MA2 yet but I would think the biggest issue with causing the battery to swell beside age would be flying in very hot conditions, or storing in a hot car too long, charging too soon after using. What I've seen in the manual tells me the batteries tend to self discharge to protect itself. Again I'm learning here myself.
I've had the MA1 and now the MA2 ... my conditions that I usually fly in arn't very hot to begin with, but in the summer and the extended time that the MA2 has in flight time it MIGHT become an issue. I never store my batteries in the car for a prolonged time, its only really if I'm going on a day trip and going from location to location. Again in the summer, on a road trip, the batteries might be in the car for a little bit of time ... but they are well hidden from the sun, in a backpack or in the flymore bag.

I take the warm/drained battery out, if I’m going to keep flying I let the AC cool a few minutes and then keep flying, and keep the warm/drained in a cool place while I keep flying. When I’m done I give it all a bit to cool down before packing up...
Yeah I pretty much do the same ... I haven't had to let the drone cool off, I've never recalled it being too hot after a flight to warrent a cool done of the unit itself. I bought the fly more combo, so I have 3 batteries; I'll pretty much use at least 1 or 2 batteries at a specific location, and then travel to another location to fly and film some more footage.

When I'm done at one location, I'll take battery #1 out, and pop in battery #2 into the MA2; store it in the fly more combo bag and drive to next location. Next location its all ready set to fly. Repeat for battery #3. Just wondering now if I should leave the drone battery less to cool off inbetween locational shoots.

Yeah I pretty much do the same ... I haven't had to let the drone cool off, I've never recalled it being too hot after a flight to warrent a cool done of the unit itself. I bought the fly more combo, so I have 3 batteries; I'll pretty much use at least 1 or 2 batteries at a specific location, and then travel to another location to fly and film some more footage.

When I'm done at one location, I'll take battery #1 out, and pop in battery #2 into the MA2; store it in the fly more combo bag and drive to next location. Next location its all ready set to fly. Repeat for battery #3. Just wondering now if I should leave the drone battery less to cool off inbetween locational shoots.

Typically the AC isn’t too hot after a single battery use, but when I first got it I noticed if I jumped right in to battery 2, after battery 2 she’d be pretty hot especially on the belly. Doesn’t take long to cool with the battery out, just a few minutes.

Might not be necessary, just what I’ve been doing...

Reactions: Air_Deo
If there is a chance of the battery swelling a little after usage, unless it was dangerously hot to touch, I would suggest leaving it in place in the drone for 5-10 minutes at the end of the flying session so that the battery shell does not risk becoming warped and not fitting back correctly, on to the drone terminals. I have had no temperature issues with my Air 2 but our NZ climate is approaching autumn/winter, so the air is quite cool, now.

The batteries swell (slightly) on charging. It’s caused by a gas build up from the chemical reaction taking place.

There appears to be a few batteries around that are swelling excessively and should be returned to DJI.

If there is a chance of the battery swelling a little after usage, unless it was dangerously hot to touch, I would suggest leaving it in place in the drone for 5-10 minutes at the end of the flying session so that the battery shell does not risk becoming warped and not fitting back correctly, on to the drone terminals. I have had no temperature issues with my Air 2 but our NZ climate is approaching autumn/winter, so the air is quite cool, now.
I see, I guess its a case by case basis.

The batteries swell (slightly) on charging. It’s caused by a gas build up from the chemical reaction taking place.

There appears to be a few batteries around that are swelling excessively and should be returned to DJI.
Good to know, I guess I'll be paying more attention when I charge my batteries.

in a backpack or in the flymore bag.

You should really consider a fireproof battery bag to store your batteries.

I'm not sure if you've ever experienced a battery vent, but it is NOT something to leave uncontained or by cloth only. I had one bad experience, and never again will I be without one of those bags to store my batteries.

Hi all ... what is your procedure after your flights in terms of battery storage? Do you immediately take out the battery and let it cool off? Was just wondering because I have seen some videos on YouTube that have said that their batteries have warped/swelled a bit due to the heat generated in the drone and in the battery ... causing the battery to not sit flushly upon installation.

I'm thinking separating them immediately after flight might potentially avoid this problem and prolong battery longevity.

Thoughts?

Edited: included video forward to 2:10 ... he talks about possible battery swell in Mavic 2 Series batteries and how it doesn't allow the battery to sit flushly in the drone.

I always remove my batteries and leave them out. I have my area in my basement for my drone and equipment. I leave all my batteries out and on my bench organized.

Just had a flight this morning ... used two out of the three batteries. I put the unused one in the drone while coming home. Now all 3 batteries are sitting on my desk waiting to be charged.

Thoughts?

If I will be home within an hour I just leave it in the drone. If longer I take it out and place all the batteries in a safety bag. These types of batteries (from my RC car experience) are high powered and can be dangerous. It is not swelling that concerns me....it is the risk of a potential fire.

Reactions: Rchawks and Air_Deo
If I will be home within an hour I just leave it in the drone. If longer I take it out and place all the batteries in a safety bag. These types of batteries (from my RC car experience) are high powered and can be dangerous. It is not swelling that concerns me....it is the risk of a potential fire.
Interesting, do you have a separate lipo bag? I've been keeping everything in the fly more combo so far.

Interesting, do you have a separate lipo bag? I've been keeping everything in the fly more combo so far.

Not the person you replied to, but I did chime in earlier in this thread.

I highly recommend having a separate lipo bag. I've had a 9500 mAh 6S RC battery vent ("explode") and there's a scary amount of potential energy stored in them.

Batteries are generally very safe but you still need to be diligent about taking care of them. A lipo bag isn't expensive and provides a lot of safety value.

Not the person you replied to, but I did chime in earlier in this thread.

I highly recommend having a separate lipo bag. I've had a 9500 mAh 6S RC battery vent ("explode") and there's a scary amount of potential energy stored in them.

Batteries are generally very safe but you still need to be diligent about taking care of them. A lipo bag isn't expensive and provides a lot of safety value.

Does the lypo bag contain the pressure and sparks and heat from the bad battery enough to prevent it from spreading to the rest of the house? Is storing in a lypo bag as well as a metal storage container the safest bet?
Brand name of the best lypo bags?

/

Are you suggesting the bag offers more safety than an ammo can, I read a post suggesting the Ammo can stop a exploding battery from burning the house down. I was not aware of a "lipo Bag" Thanks in advance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green