DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Swell Still A Problem?

AIredale1

Reactions
I'm thinking of buying a M2P but I've seen people reporting swollen batteries. Is that a widespread problem?

Also, I'm interested in the MA2 and it's half the price of the M2P. Is the M2P worth the extra money?

I have not had any issues with my batteries - I've had the bird for about 6 months. Might wait until this evening about the MA2... see what all it really has and the pricing...

Yes, as far as it goes now from reports, swollen batteries ares still a problem....
As for MA2 if it's your first drone, go for it. M2P is sure better overall for most use scenarios drone, but it's double the price, as you noted, and it has to be updated till the end of the year to M3P.
I'm thinking of buying a M2P but I've seen people reporting swollen batteries. Is that a widespread problem?

Also, I'm interested in the MA2 and it's half the price of the M2P. Is the M2P worth the extra money?

I've had 5 M2 batteries for 5 months, no issues. I think that was a run of suspect batteries some time ago - should be good now. Just treat them well and store them at half charge.

As far as the battery issues go I own four batteries never had one problem with them. If you store them at 50% and you treat those batteries the right way you will never have a problem. Mavic 2 is definitely Worth the extra money.

I can help with that subject. There was reportedly a bad batch of batteries produced in Aug 2018. I had three of them. They all swelled after 40-60 charges. I contacted DJI with serial numbers and pics. After a month or so they replaced all three free of charge. Apparently they are aware of the problem. I'm not saying every battery produced in that month will swell, just that mine did. Kudos to DJI since they were way out of warranty. Hope that helps.

Reactions: AIredale1
I can help with that subject. There was reportedly a bad batch of batteries produced in Aug 2018. I had three of them. They all swelled after 40-60 charges. I contacted DJI with serial numbers and pics. After a month or so they replaced all three free of charge. Apparently they are aware of the problem. I'm not saying every battery produced in that month will swell, just that mine did. Kudos to DJI since they were way out of warranty. Hope that helps.

Thank you!

I bought m2p fly more combo almost on release date and i have no problems with any of my three batteries too this time.
Worth noting that i am flying also on same set of propellers for almost two years. Well, this dron is really durable beast!
If i were you i would wait for mavic 3 pro cuz i think with high dose of probability that it will be release on august or somewhere near this time, same as m2 series in 2018.

Reactions: ZooCougar
Don’t buy used, I purchased three additional M2P from DJI few months ago after the original 3 swelled. Be careful. The original batteries were no good.

I just ordered the new Mavic 2 Air, combo unit. And still have my M2P. The Mavic 2Air,is a great bargain. You won’t go wrong getting the air 2 instead

I have 2 and no problems here...

However, be carefull with August, September 2018....

Hopefully the M2 battery issue is relatively contained.
Look after them and they should give a long life.
The bad thing is if they fail after 6 months, you aren't going to get a lot of love from DJI with warranty . . . though here in Oz there have been successful claims for 'not being fit for purpose / expected lifespan for cost' etc.

The M2 battery has that flat back, no recess area for expansion like the M1P/P battery.
This is possibly a problem with battery ejection, if there is any swelling over lifespan, especially if heat / humidity in the region, and hard flying (Sports mode etc) is consistent from a pilot.

I just had a look at the MA2 battery . . .

One of the photos shows the back, and it LOOKS like it too is flat, no recessed expansion area to cope with normal swelling.
Maybe they have built in internal room.

Here are two battery examples. One is swelled (bottom), one is brand new. The battery gets worse when charging/flying due to heat. DJI replaced all three of my swelled batteries manufactured Aug 2018 free of charge. They were a year and a half old. So, if DJI knows about the issue warranty expiration means nothing.
cb0f27965349cfea813802e7d6bbcfff.jpg

0e9dadb8cdbb7d745e15d9a60e8db038.jpg

If only they used a recessed area on the back, like the M1P, this might not be such a problem, even flying under stress like Sports mode, into wind, etc.

This image posted by @sar104 here . . .

Left M2 - Right M1P / MPP

img_3158-jpg.98094

I have 8 batteries and 4 of them are swelling. I just yesterday ordered 5 more. These batteres are getting expensive!

I have 8 batteries and 4 of them are swelling. I just yesterday ordered 5 more. These batteres are getting expensive!

Hell yeah they are!! I spent $600 for new ones waiting for replacements from DJI. Can't have the bird grounded now can we ??!! Good news is now I have seven, I think I'm good now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard