DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery swelling in four of six batteries

No I quit flying for a while and stored my batteries at around 30% to 40% while I was not using it. A few days before I took her out I charged all of my batteries, but 4 out of 6 did not do to well. So now I have 2 batteries left and 2 on order.
Would you recommend storing them in a refrigerator to keep them really cool ?

Last edited:
I am relatively new to the MA2 and don't know how to tell when or if my batteries "Swell" - can you post a picture or give me a description of the signs to look for when this happens? Is it so obvious I will be able to tell instantly - like it swells so much I can't get it to fit in the drone ? Or something less ?

flat bottom. You can see it if starts to or already is swollen. The Mavic Air one has tiny tabs on the bottom. It will sit flat and not rock until it swells.

Reactions: Geekser
Mavic 2 batteries are rubbish. They start to swell after about 50 hours, and are ridiculously expensive to replace. I suggest you contact dji and complain. Mine are swelling, were made in 08 2018, and are discharged automatically to 66% every 3 days, yet still all swollen. i am going to keep flying till it falls out of the sky, then sue dji for the hopefully resulting injuries, damage or worse. That will show them, especially if it kills someone!
Swollen batteries can also explode when charging, so I'm hoping to burn down my house while charging because of this poor product, then sueing DJI for a new house. I leave it in my car most of the time, so hopefully it will catch fire and burn up my car. I will sue them for a new car also.
In fact, I'll sue them for all of the above now, and maybe they'll replace my batteries. Suggest you try the same. No thanks necessary, but dollars fine.

You say, “I leave it in my car most of the time”. And you wonder why they swell? There are warnings about that. Result; swollen batteries. Keep them as cool as possible. Even so, we all get swells eventually (it sucks). Some Care is required to slow the inevitable.

Mavic 2 batteries are rubbish. They start to swell after about 50 hours, and are ridiculously expensive to replace. I suggest you contact dji and complain. Mine are swelling, were made in 08 2018, and are discharged automatically to 66% every 3 days, yet still all swollen. i am going to keep flying till it falls out of the sky, then sue dji for the hopefully resulting injuries, damage or worse. That will show them, especially if it kills someone!
Swollen batteries can also explode when charging, so I'm hoping to burn down my house while charging because of this poor product, then sueing DJI for a new house. I leave it in my car most of the time, so hopefully it will catch fire and burn up my car. I will sue them for a new car also.
In fact, I'll sue them for all of the above now, and maybe they'll replace my batteries. Suggest you try the same. No thanks necessary, but dollars fine.
After writing something ridicules and dangerous, you not only will not have a chance in a lawsuit, you'll be lucky if you don't get charged.

I went out to fly the Mavic 2 zoom the other day and noticed that my batteries are swelling. Can I get any of these re-built or do I need to get new ones ?
Hi. I am very sorry that you had such a problem. Pay attention to two important factors that affect the bloating of batteries; 1.this is the use of a battery with a load at high ambient temperatures. 2. when loading on a battery when there is little battery left in it. I would also recommend monitoring the operating temperature during the flight through the DJI Go 4 application, and if you see that the temperature is high, then try to give less load in flight and then I’m sure that the battery will last for a long time. I have batteries since 2018, and no problems are observed. I also recommend storing the battery at a temperature from 18C to 25C maximum.

I never leave any of my electronic gear in the car. Too many prying eyes looking for something to make a buck on these days. Not to mention it gets to hot for me to stay in, so I know it's not good for any of my toys.

I spent a few bucks for a couple of batteries for my m2z as it's cheaper to buy her new batteries. Not have her fall out of the sky as she ran out of juice because I was trying to save a buck.

Reactions: KB9Radio
I just checked the batteries in question and they have been charged 24 times, 43 times, 59 times, and 65 times. I hope my bird still has some life in her.

My mpp has 2 batteries, and flies often. I have about 100 and 70 flights on each, but they are fine re swelling. However, the myth from dji about 31 mind use time is a lie. I have always only got about 20 minutes down to 20%, nowhere near the claimed 31 under ideal conditions.
The mp zoom has only about 70 flights, and is noticeably swollen after flights, and has been for most of its life.

Americans are hugely wealthy rather, especially drone owners, so a few bucks is a drop in the ocean.
I am a disabled pensioner, actually old, who spent my entire pension, plus taking my credit card overdraft over limit just to buy my drones, as i realised i would never fly microlights again, nor fixed wing aircraft, which i had flown for fun despite getting a policeman's salary, which is worthless in this unappreciative country, even when we used to be adequate at law enforcement.

So... Long story short, I spent a fortune at dji for my end of life option to the fact that i would never fly properly again, and am faced with replacing a crucial part that costs more than 4 months pension, (if i don't eat.)
If you rich, few problems with dhi, poor, another issue.

(Watch Dan Bilzerian shoot down over a dozen matrices and phantom 4 drones with shotguns and machine guns, just for fun.
Girls in bikinis help him tremendously, but that's the good life.

Anyway, battery replacement should be assisted by dji to ensure safety, as well as making flying drones an easier thing for destitute beggers, like me.

For your own safety and others (which is what we really should be concerned about here) please contain the damaged batteries in a fire resistant metal container until they can be recycled properly.

All the money I could muster up could only afford a Mini, being a senior I certainly could not afford any credit card interest.
Good luck with what your involved in, I hope you find a better head space, stay safe.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you can spin it on a flat surface, it's beginning to swell.
This is my fool proof method, in fact sometimes you can get it to spin a lot if it swelled up pretty well.

Just read all the comments. One of my three batteries has some minor swelling. Yes, during the spin test, it will spin without a doubt while the other two will not spin at all. All three batteries were purchased when I got my drone in January of 2019, but manufactured in October of 2018. The swollen battery has 56 charges and reads 4.21V on all four cells with overall 16.8V. The other two have 57/58 charges and read 4.23V/4.25V on all four cells with overall 16.9V/17.0V respectively. Strange (or not) that the battery with least charges is the problem one.

From what I read here it sounds like even little swelling should be taken seriously and the battery should be replaced. This is what I am planning to do as it's better to be safe than sorry. Last is there a preferred "Days to discharge" setting when it comes to batter battery life or avoiding the swelling issue? Thank you for all the good info.

Hi. I am very sorry that you had such a problem. Pay attention to two important factors that affect the bloating of batteries; 1.this is the use of a battery with a load at high ambient temperatures. 2. when loading on a battery when there is little battery left in it. I would also recommend monitoring the operating temperature during the flight through the DJI Go 4 application, and if you see that the temperature is high, then try to give less load in flight and then I’m sure that the battery will last for a long time. I have batteries since 2018, and no problems are observed. I also recommend storing the battery at a temperature from 18C to 25C maximum.
Good points. One additional complaint against DJI is their failure to log Battery temperature of flights made with the Smart Controller. Normally AirData will allow you to review a flight and see the battery temperatures. Unfortunately DJI had an update some time ago which broke that logging, at least for the Smart Controller. I understand that using an iPhone as the controller still works. Anyone know what past GO4 version worked for battery data logging?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61