DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery swelling?

as i have mentioned before in threads about battery swelling ,it does seem to be the case that 4 cell batteries seem to be more prone to swelling, than the 3 cell ones in the original mavic pro and platinum, although there should not be any difference in the chemical make up of both batteries ,perhaps someone with more knowledge of lipo construction will be able to enlighten us on the subject

Thanks everyone for the great theories and explanations, I am watching all these threads as this battery thing is a show stopper for my purchase of a M2x so far. I have a Spark with about 75 charges each on my two batteries and no issues whatsoever. I do pay attention to best practices.. so my gut on this M2 battery issue is a manufacturing defect combined with a little mis-management. Will keep reading. I want to upgrade, and preferably stay with DJI, but there are other products now which dangle the carrot so to speak... If the "intelligent" batteries were not so dang expensive, I'd not care so much.

as i have mentioned before in threads about battery swelling ,it does seem to be the case that 4 cell batteries seem to be more prone to swelling, than the 3 cell ones in the original mavic pro and platinum, although there should not be any difference in the chemical make up of both batteries ,perhaps someone with more knowledge of lipo construction will be able to enlighten us on the subject
It's simply a matter of a bad batch of cells produced 7-8/2018 and nothing to do with number of cells.
Even within that 2 month period, I believe there were more than one different manufacturers of the cells.

they mostly swell if they are allowed to get too hot ,and if you try to charge them before they have cooled down after use, i have one battery with the build date 2018 -10 and have had no problems ,my first 4 batts have over 40 charges each and are still perfect, it is more important to store them correctly and not let the cell voltages get to low, also the same with charging them to 100% and leaving them for to long, just keep a careful watch on them and you should not have any problems, but by the same token do not become paranoid over them, we are lucky in the UK we dont get the extreems of hot or cold that happen abroad

Check your batteries now. I'll bet they've swelled. My three swelled batteries were manufactured 08/2018. I'm a snowbird in the desert and can certify that a wetsuit here is as useful as jewelry on a pig.

Our research shows that the Batteries our very susceptible to moisture do to the power buttons being on top.

This means Rain/ Snow / Fog and Moisture can compromise your batteries.

How scientific of research did you conduct? Because I can guarantee you that results would vary. There are some users that NEVER fly in rain/snow/fog but yet their batteries swell up.

And there are those polar opposite that fly in those constant conditions (like myself) who "knock on wood" for some reason have never had swollen batteries.

Reactions: everBit
How scientific of research did you conduct?

It was more marketing research rather then scientific;)

Have seen a lot of batteries which were long time subjected to the water immersion as ones taken out from the drones after landing in the river (flying on ActiveTrack very close to the water surface).
Some batteries were already damaged by corrosion but none of them were swelled!

Reactions: dronepilotbob
as reported in GO 4, of 2018.08 and earlier.

What is GO 4?
and where do you find the production date? I have 3 batteries and one is now bulging. I think I'm going to have to toss it, as it can easily pop off the Mavic.

as reported in GO 4, of 2018.08 and earlier.

What is GO 4?
and where do you find the production date? I have 3 batteries and one is now bulging. I think I'm going to have to toss it, as it can easily pop off the Mavic.
The newer app that replaced DJI GO for use with newer aircraft. Since you are not familiar with it, I assume you must not be flying the Mavic 2 to which the above statement applies.

Stupid me. I thought there was some website. Not thinking that the App displays the production info.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3