DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery temperature 45,8 C / 114 F when not flying

Mirlo36

Reactions
No flying yet, but for 10 minutes had drone powered on at the kitchen table and went through Fly settings...

And it was surprisingly hot, when I turned it off. With zero experience with drones and/or LiPos, just sounds weird...
Normal?

(no charging today, all day at normal room temperature)

Reactions: old man mavic
@Mirlo36 its a good idea to have a small fan blowing over the drone during such a procedure that way the drone gets some air movement over it to help dissipate some of the heat

Thank you both for your information and advice!

Never knew that just blinking two leds would generate so much heat from the battery...

Reactions: old man mavic
It’s not just blinking two LEDs though, is it? When powered up the GPS is active and searching for satellites, the IMUs are tracking motion, the camera could even be recording. Even just sat on the bench, when powered up the CPU is still doing a fair amount of work.

Yes, you have it absolutely correct. And now I feel myself stupid...

List of devices is surprisingly long: gimbal motors, infrared light, altitude, data sending etc.
A lot of going in that small package.

Thank you, now I'm a little bit wiser.
Don't feel bad about it. I thought the same thing the first time I felt my MA2 after doing an update. Then it occurred to me that everything was running and drawing a ton of power other than the motors. The same is true with the MM and Mini2 but wow what a wake up call on a bigger bird. I can't imagine how hot a M2 would get.

the larger mavics do have a built in cooling fan, but even those are best served by the external fan method i mentioned ,this is even more so in hot climates ,because that air movement also helps to keep the battery cooler as well ,the thing to remember is that during flight the air is often cooler at altitude and also the props are keeping some airflow over the drone as well
also be aware that when you are hovering within a couple of feet of the ground the air temps can be several degrees hotter from the radiated ground heat so be mindful of that

Reactions: Mirlo36
the larger mavics do have a built in cooling fan, but even those are best served by the external fan method i mentioned ,this is even more so in hot climates ,because that air movement also helps to keep the battery cooler as well ,the thing to remember is that during flight the air is often cooler at altitude and also the props are keeping some airflow over the drone as well
also be aware that when you are hovering within a couple of feet of the ground the air temps can be several degrees hotter from the radiated ground heat so be mindful of that
This is one of the many reasons I love seeing your name on posts OMM. You always have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to knowledge and a giving heart in regards to that info that's even larger. Thank you

This is one of the many reasons I love seeing your name on posts OMM. You always have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to knowledge and a giving heart in regards to that info that's even larger. Thank you
thanks for your comments,i try to give a none technical answer to help others ,if i can,and i enjoy posts where i learn something from others ,for me its part of what this forum is about

Reactions: Mirlo36
Thanks for the info on cooling the bird when trying to set everything up. Had the same thought that something was going wrong when I was doing the same. As a new pilot I want to make sure all the settings are correct before flight. With more practice I got quicker on checking the settings then took off hopping I didn’t skip something.
Now when I do some in-depth looking at any adjustments or using simulator mode I will put a fan close by.

Thanks for an eye opener.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldh02111