DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery ??

In my experience wity LiPo's, both DJI and other none smart batteries, they DO NOT HAVE A MEMORY AFFECT, and do not need a full charge/discharge cycle to "reset". That info goes back to NiCd days and does not apply now. That being said, they do have their own specific maintenance procedures. Storage is rule number 1, do not store them fully charged or fully depleted. Half charged is safe.
Rule 2, they are multicell batteries and need to be balance charged, some do this automatically and some don't, those that don't need a charger capable of balance charging.
Rule 3, they are very temperature sensitive and should only be charged at room temperature.
Rule 4, they do adapt to usage paterns, frequent use and proper care tends to see them perform more efficiently and longer than infrequent use.
Rule 5, and this rule is most important, never ever begin a flight without a freshly, fully charged battery. No exceptions.

Read the online manual and didn't see answer .

When flying , after returning to take off area, I sometimes fly around immediate area very close to me till battery gets very low. Is there any harm in bringing battery level to under 10%

I also started using a higher watt charger adapter and batteries charge MUCH quicker. It's the same one I use for my iPhone and comes from Apple. I can charge a battery in 45 minutes. Any harm in that ?
Extra bat tires are always a good investment.
You miss to many great opportunities with just on battery.
If you had 3 batteries and it only takes 45 min to charge you could fly all day😊

Reactions: 3rdof5
I go thru Batteries flying my air 2s daily. I think this year I will probably go thru 10 or so> I have not heard of the completely discharge after 30 cycles thing but I have always been told to never let a battery get to zero. so I don't, I have always used a fast charger not 45 min fast but 1hr. 20 min is normal, never had a batt go bad from a fast charger. I fly my batts down to around 12 percent or so I try my best not to break the below 10 percent self implied rule but it happens and I see no shorter life from the batts that i have gone critical with.
I store my batts at 60 percent--Charge them to 100 the day I use them, and change them at 12 percent-- I see 200 cycles give or take, from a battery before they die then I throw them in a big bucket of salt water for a day and then toss them.

Last edited:
and do not need a full charge/discharge cycle to "reset"
Actually DJI told me that it is good for the batteries to do a full discharge/charge once in a while, around every thrre months. Charge it fully, discharge it until the drone stops, and charge it back to 50-60% for storage. The important step is to not store it when it is discharged, charge it up immediately when it has cooled.

The next new battery I get I will try full discharge thing and see if my number of useful cycles goes up. I usually get my batteries from a guy who gets them O.E.M. unboxed by the case for 45 bucks apiece He sells on eBay too Brand new direct from DJI is a bit pricey

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw