DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery ??

minipro3

Reactions
Read the online manual and didn't see answer .

When flying , after returning to take off area, I sometimes fly around immediate area very close to me till battery gets very low. Is there any harm in bringing battery level to under 10%

I also started using a higher watt charger adapter and batteries charge MUCH quicker. It's the same one I use for my iPhone and comes from Apple. I can charge a battery in 45 minutes. Any harm in that ?

Reactions: SeaPig and GFields
Read the online manual and didn't see answer .

When flying , after returning to take off area, I sometimes fly around immediate area very close to me till battery gets very low. Is there any harm in bringing battery level to under 10%

I also started using a higher watt charger adapter and batteries charge MUCH quicker. It's the same one I use for my iPhone and comes from Apple. I can charge a battery in 45 minutes. Any harm in that ?
None that I'm aware of.

Reactions: SeaPig
Not so fast: I would avoid taking any Lithium based battery (like these LiPo's) below 10%...even 20% if possible. If you do, I would immediately charge it up (at least) > 30% (you don't want to heat it up too much either).

Sidebar: Just got an answer from DJI on long term storage charge for best battery life. I had always thought 30-35% was optimal. DJI stated it is recommended to charge it until it is 60% before storage. They also said a 70% to full charge battery will automatically discharge on the 9th day to about 60%. They also recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every 3 months to improve battery performance.

Reactions: Capt KO and Yaros
Not so fast: I would avoid taking any Lithium based battery (like these LiPo's) below 10%...even 20% if possible. If you do, I would immediately charge it up (at least) > 30% (you don't want to heat it up too much either).
According to DJI, the Mini3 uses Li-Ion, but I still generally agree with you. For phones or other electronics, battery lifespan and power falloff aren't that big of an issue, but with drones I think it's best to keep the batteries as healthy as possible, and part of that is staying within their optimal output charge range.

Is this a personal opinion or based on any expert advice? If you have a resource for this statement, please share it.
Read this article by Northeast Battery

Pro-Tip: After every 30 charges, allow your lithium based battery to completely discharge before recharging.

Sidebar: Just got an answer from DJI on long term storage charge for best battery life. I had always thought 30-35% was optimal. DJI stated it is recommended to charge it until it is 60% before storage. They also said a 70% to full charge battery will automatically discharge on the 9th day to about 60%. They also recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every 3 months to improve battery performance.
OP question was not about storage levels but you're correct with the info you have.

Is there any harm in bringing battery level to under 10%
Yes, it reduces the cycle count after which the battery will stop performing good and you will have to change it.
Battery performance degrades overtime, that's unavoidable, but if you fly your batteries down to 10% or less, that will make the process much faster, and after 150 or so flights with the battery, it will be not very safe to use, the internal resistance will be much higher, and cell voltages might drop randomly, which might initiate auto landing even at 90%, that almost happened to me.
I land my batteries at around 20%, however once I flew to 0%. Don't recommend flying the battery below 20% if you plan to use it for a while. DJI batteries are not cheap to replace, however they will last long if you take care of them.

That means:
- Don't leave them fully charged or fully discharged for more than 72 hours
- For long term storage (more than 1–2 weeks) leave them at 50% or so.
- Don't stress the batteries right away, especially in cold conditions, that means no sport mode until a couple of minutes into the flight. Do not use sport mode your first couple of flights with the battery (when it is brand new).
- Check battery performance occasionally uploading your logs to Airdata website, or use their mobile app to auto sync logs.
I can charge a battery in 45 minutes. Any harm in that ?
That's pretty fast. It shouldn't do any harm instantly, but as is with the case above, it does do some long term damage, that will become apparent as your batteries age.
Fast charging is convenient, but should be only used when necessary, as charging a battery faster produces more heat, and slowly damages the battery.

Reactions: minipro3
Yes, it reduces the cycle count after which the battery will stop performing good and you will have to change it.
Battery performance degrades overtime, that's unavoidable, but if you fly your batteries down to 10% or less, that will make the process much faster, and after 150 or so flights with the battery, it will be not very safe to use, the internal resistance will be much higher, and cell voltages might drop randomly, which might initiate auto landing even at 90%, that almost happened to me.
I land my batteries at around 20%, however once I flew to 0%. Don't recommend flying the battery below 20% if you plan to use it for a while. DJI batteries are not cheap to replace, however they will last long if you take care of them.

That means:
- Don't leave them fully charged or fully discharged for more than 72 hours
- For long term storage (more than 1–2 weeks) leave them at 50% or so.
- Don't stress the batteries right away, especially in cold conditions, that means no sport mode until a couple of minutes into the flight. Do not use sport mode your first couple of flights with the battery (when it is brand new).
- Check battery performance occasionally uploading your logs to Airdata website, or use their mobile app to auto sync logs.

That's pretty fast. It shouldn't do any harm instantly, but as is with the case above, it does do some long term damage, that will become apparent as your batteries age.
Fast charging is convenient, but should be only used when necessary, as charging a battery faster produces more heat, and slowly damages the battery.
Personal opinion or do you have an expert source? If you have an expert source, please share. Thanks

Reactions: Yaros
Pro-Tip: After every 30 charges, allow your lithium based battery to completely discharge before recharging.
That is NOT good advice.

This was the case with older batteries which had BMS that needed “calibration” every so often, but with modern battery controller boards that is no longer the case.

You should NEVER fly the battery down to 0%, there is even a risk of it not working never again, actually this happened to my friend's Air 1 battery.
Ideally land at around 20-25%, never below 5%.

Reactions: StantonZ
That is NOT good advice.

This was the case with older batteries which had BMS that needed “calibration” every so often, but with modern battery controller boards that is no longer the case.

You should NEVER fly the battery down to 0%, there is even a risk of it not working never again, actually this happened to my friend's Air 1 battery.
Ideally land at around 20-25%, never below 5%.
These guys to this for a living. I'm inclined to believe them

Also, check this article from DJI:
DJI website doesn't say anything about under 10% except to say avoid 0%

I'm not here to argue. I have provided legitimate information to answer the OP's question. Therefore, I will not be responding to any more comments other than any that need to be moderated.

I think there has been enough information provided for anyone to make their own decision.

Reactions: minipro3 and Yaros
Yes, that is what DJI told me after I asked them. Battery life will improve if you follow that advise. The important step is to NOT store the battery in discharged state. Charge it up to 60% shortly after discharging.

Reactions: GFields
So I generally fly my mini 3 pro every 3 days or so. I like to keep them available at a moments notice cause I'm not always sure when I'm taking it out. So if the batteries are fully charged and 3 days later I'm out the door to fly, should I use the batteries as is or top them off first. My impression so far after reading all the posts is to just use them as is even though they may have discharged a little ??

So I generally fly my mini 3 pro every 3 days or so. I like to keep them available at a moments notice cause I'm not always sure when I'm taking it out. So if the batteries are fully charged and 3 days later I'm out the door to fly, should I use the batteries as is or top them off first. My impression so far after reading all the posts is to just use them as is even though they may have discharged a little ??
It is always best to begin a flight with a fully charged battery. Not to be confused with Storage levels.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661