DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 batteries, keep uncharged, or charge immediately?

RAILSHOT

Reactions
I recently ran into an extraordinary deal on a never opened Mavic 2 Fly More Kit, but I already have 4 batteries that I have been using in a regular rotation.
Should I just leave these never charged batteries in the bag as I got them, or should I at least charge them once and add to my rotation?
The thought never crossed my mind until now.
Thanks in advance.

The batteries are in hibernation mode, that means they have a much longer shelf life than batteries that have been activated. But they can not be hibernated forever, so I would fully charge them and discharge (use) them a few times, then store them at 60%. And let them join your rotation.

You should find the production month and year of the batteries somewhere, on mine it was on a sticker on the box. It was a year old when I bought it, and I left it 5-6 months before I charged it. It was in perfect shape.

Reactions: Cafguy
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.
It makes sense to add it to my rotation as that would lessen the use for the others and possibly extend their usefulness.

I did have one battery from way back that had over 110 charges logged on it from when I only had one battery.
I gave that one to a guy I met that needed one, and he is still using it, so either I got lucky, or they are built quite well.

I did have one battery from way ;)back that had over 110 charges logged on it from when I only had one battery.
I gave that one to a guy I met that needed one, and he is still using it, so either I got lucky, or they are built quite well.
All Lithium battery types are affected by how "deeply" they are cycled and the temperatures they are exposed to (especially during charging). You don't say what climate you live in or how you cycle your batteries (I don't deep cycle and store them @50%), but I suspect you were more smart than lucky.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry.
It makes sense to add it to my rotation as that would lessen the use for the others and possibly extend their usefulness.

I did have one battery from way back that had over 110 charges logged on it from when I only had one battery.
They are built that well. I have 3 Mavic Pro batteries that date back to November 2016, but they only have about a hundred cycles each. I can still get around 20 minutes of flight time with each of them after all these years.

All Lithium battery types are affected by how "deeply" they are cycled and the temperatures they are exposed to (especially during charging). You don't say what climate you live in or how you cycle your batteries (I don't deep cycle and store them @50%), but I suspect you were more smart than lucky.
I live in a cold climate, so flying is limited between November and April. Heheh, I may have spoke too soon. I tried to charge the new batteries, and one did fine, but the other..... nothing.
I tried it on two different slots that I know are good because they just charged my old batteries at the same time, and nothing.
No big loss, but I thought it was funny how I was bragging about battery life, and well, there you go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972