DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 2 Zoom battery problems

ncolej

Reactions
I put my M2Z battery on the charger yesterday to bring the cycle count to 5. The charger immediately got fried when I plugged it in. Following that strange event, I realized the battery would not turn off by any means. The lights on the battery would register with the button press, but strangely enough, the fan, sensors, transmission, and gimbal were all still powered. The only way to kill power to the drone was to take the battery out. I don't really like doing that due to fear of damaging my drone, which I just got back from repair.

Today I flew the drone for around half an hour and got the battery down to 1%. If I attach the battery to the charger but don't plug it into the mains, the charger lights up, as strange as that may sound.

Any thoughts on a fix?

I put my M2Z battery on the charger yesterday to bring the cycle count to 5. The charger immediately got fried when I plugged it in. Following that strange event, I realized the battery would not turn off by any means. The lights on the battery would register with the button press, but strangely enough, the fan, sensors, transmission, and gimbal were all still powered. The only way to kill power to the drone was to take the battery out. I don't really like doing that due to fear of damaging my drone, which I just got back from repair.

Today I flew the drone for around half an hour and got the battery down to 1%. If I attach the battery to the charger but don't plug it into the mains, the charger lights up, as strange as that may sound.

Any thoughts on a fix?
What charger?
What do you mean by the "charger got fried" and how can you be subsequently using it?
Do you routinely run the battery down to 1%?

Reactions: DougMcC and shb
What charger?
What do you mean by the "charger got fried" and how can you be subsequently using it?
Do you routinely run the battery down to 1%?
I've never run the battery down more than 25%. I only ran the battery down purposefully to test out if it would charge in an exhausted condition.

Sorry, I should clarify. The charger won't charge when it's plugged into an outlet. But when the plug is not in an outlet, and the battery is attached, the battery is providing power to the charger...somehow. Which I assume is the case when I see the charger light come on. I've tried multiple outlets that are known to work, so most likely it's a charger issue. (See attached photo)

Attachments

• IMG_9044.jpg
    IMG_9044.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
Is there a particular reason for the aftermarket charger?

Do American wall plugs have fuses? If so have you checked it?
UK wall plugs for such a device would probably use a 3 Amp or 5 Amp fuse but American plugs might need double those ratings.

I'll most likely just buy a new charger and maybe a new battery. That way I could eliminate any problems and just focus on flying safely. Appreciate your responses. Have a great week.

Do American wall plugs have fuses?

It varies by product, but generally no, the vast majority of the time. Fuses are usually mounted in the product body, cords being more often than not removable these days.

You didn't mean the wall outlet did you? No in that case too, although we have GFCI outlets that are required by regulation in some locations, bathrooms for example.

Do American wall plugs have fuses? If so have you checked it?
UK wall plugs for such a device would probably use a 3 Amp or 5 Amp fuse but American plugs might need double those ratings.
No, US plugs are connected to a circuit breaker box. Generally speaking, standard wall plugs are 15 or 20 amp.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I have that same charger and I highly recommend it.

The M2 batteries have been known to fault to the ON position and power on the aircraft any time they are inserted into the aircraft. I had one do this and upon landing the aircraft I "smelled hot plastic". I knew that there was some type of internal error and I discontinued that battery immediately. That's been a few years now.

Keep in mind that the battery is a SINGLE FAILURE POINT and you do not want anything questionable to be a SINGLE FAILURE POINT. When in doubt, toss it OUT!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1