DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battling aggressive seagulls

Andyc240

Reactions
Anybody have a good way to deter seagulls etc as in knysna sa and there crazy down here and nearly taken me down 3 times already lol

Seagulls are really aggressive but I'm not sure how far they will go as far as attacking the drone. The thing is there are generally so many of them and they all lift into the sky at once. I'm not sure how high they want to fly. Altitude could help. We have Ravens here in the Southern California desert which are about the same size or larger but they just give you an indignant look and move along. Noisy as they are, I love the darn things and it would destroy me to injure one.

Really close today hiflyer back home in Ireland there not as bad and there was only 1 lol got some footage but took sports mode and some strange flying to shake it lol and again I would hate to injure 1 as I see myself as the alien in the sky taking over there natural habitat

Reactions: Gindra
Yeah, that's about all you can do. If they are aggressive toward your AC, all you can do is move on to another place until they settle, or are gone.....

Reactions: Andyc240
they are very aggressive birds ,they either see a drone as food or a threat, they will gang up and try to scare away much bigger birds as themselves even more so if they are breeding and you happen to be flying close to the cliffs where they have their nests,they have been known to bring an albatross a very large seabird ,down in the sea which is very sad for the albatross as it is unable to take off again from the water

Anybody have a good way to deter seagulls etc as in knysna sa and there crazy down here and nearly taken me down 3 times already lol
I've had a few instances where my Mavic Air was attacked by birds, and sudden climb to about 200 feet seems to always work for me. They seem to loose interest and fly away. This might or might not work for you since gulls are high flyers. Try it anyway, see if it works. Take care and happy flying.

Thanks for the replies folks took it out this morning again and was terrible lol 3 ganged up couldn't even get over 80ft they had it pinned down so will give up for now moving away from sea in a couple of days so will maybe get some nice vineyard shots etc

I've had some success turning the drone--Mavic Air-- into them, or just stopping it suddenly into a hover. They can't duplicate the maneuvers, and (so far) they have veered away. The resultant video looks pretty strange, though.

I've had some success turning the drone--Mavic Air-- into them, or just stopping it suddenly into a hover. They can't duplicate the maneuvers, and (so far) they have veered away. The resultant video looks pretty strange, though.
Tried that but these guys meant buisness this morning swooping down and me and the wife when I had the drone in my hands lol

• Wow
Reactions: Gindra

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird