DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bay Area - Where have you flown recently (recreation) and is it okay there?

pelagic_one

Wind-Blown Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Bay Area - Where have you flown recently and is it okay there? (recreation rules)

Yes or No + comments appreciated please:

- Altamont Pass Road - aerial shots of the windmills

- Pacifica Pier - I know Pacifica is mostly a red NFZ, but the end of the pier looks clear to fly. Thoughts, feedback, please?

- Vista Point, upper Sharp Park Road - Appears clear to fly, but can you fly downhill and above Pacifica Pier, flying over Pacifica’s red zones? The answer may be quite obvious.

- Point San Pablo - Can you drive out to the point and fly around The Brothers islands?

- Emeryville Marina Park - Can one fly legally from there to get views of the Bay Bridge?

- Foster City - There’s this tiny sliver of land that is neither SFO or San Carlos. Can one fly here low, even though it’s Final to SFO? If so, am I only allowed to fly over the water to the NE to E directions?

46DEBD4C-1B79-4FAB-8674-3A39160DB38C.jpeg

-

Okay, so I took the last ten days to fly at a few of these places:

- Altamont Pass Road - aerial shots of the windmills
[Nearby parking areas are Regional Preserves, but there are places to turn off and ly off Altamont Pass Road].

- Pacifica Pier - I know Pacifica is mostly a red NFZ, but the end of the pier looks clear to fly. Thoughts, feedback, please?
[I went out there to fish, brought my Mini, but could not fly due to 18 mph+ gusts)

- Vista Point, upper Sharp Park Road - Appears clear to fly, but can you fly downhill and above Pacifica Pier, flying over Pacifica’s red zones? The answer may be quite obvious.
[One clear afternoon, I was about to fly over all those houses, then down the long hill to Pacifica Pier. But I checked UAV Forecast app that displayed strong, gusty winds in the afternoon. Maybe another morning.)

- Point San Pablo - Can you drive out to the point and fly around The Brothers islands?
[Two spots to fly are the rather desolate Point Molate Beach and a rocky shoreline just a half-mile north of Point Molate Beach.]

- Emeryville Marina Park - Can one fly legally from there to get views of the Bay Bridge? [I flew at both Emeryville and Berkeley Marina, at parking lots adjacent to the water. Police drove past me at each Marina, looked up in the sky when they realized I had something aloft, then continued on.]

- Foster City - There’s this tiny sliver of land that is neither SFO or San Carlos. Can one fly here low, even though it’s Final to SFO? If so, am I only allowed to fly over the water to the NE to E directions?
[Asked & Answered: It’s in SFO final approach, so NFZ, no matter what Air Map says]

Last edited:
Reactions: Frokilin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent