DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be a big spender on your Mavic.

Have you tried Litchi?
I find the display a lot better than using GO.
I've been considering Litchi. Is it true that in order to use it one must uninstall GO?

Also, would I be able to easily transfer it to another device?

I've been considering Litchi. Is it true that in order to use it one must uninstall GO?

Also, would I be able to easily transfer it to another device?

As long as they're both the same OS (apple or droid) you can.
You don't uninstal go - just disable it.
You can choose which you want to use at start up.

Reactions: Prospero
As long as they're both the same OS (apple or droid) you can.
You don't uninstal go - just disable it.
You can choose which you want to use at start up.
One more question: Is Litchi fully compatible with the Air?

It says so when you go to download it.
Type it into your phone/tablet and you'll see it there.
Weird. It does mention Air compatibility when viewing the play store on my phone, but not on the computer.

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Later... Downloaded and installed and briefly tested. It looks far superior to GO. It also looks like rain tomorrow, so I won't be doing much flying.

Last edited:
Having a modern device increases your odds of success

I am an Android flag waver, supporter and user. Samsung Galaxy x.x model I update every two years. BUT I use an iPad Pro 10.5 dedicated display for my MPP. I did a LOT of reading before I bought my first drone, a LOT of problems were from older devices and the fewest problems seemed to be from IOS displays.

My wife had an older iPad Air so I tried it. It was reliable but a bit slow and the screen brightness wasn't great. I found a used iPad Air 2 and it was better but it crapped out after 3 weeks. I did some research and it seemed the iPad Pro was a good stable platform. The majority of my flying is well out of the reach of cellular so I found a 2018 for a bit under $400. I wanted Silver but it was $200 more expensive than Gold. Guess what color I have ;). Outside of the Marco Polo, the Pro is a great investment.

IMHO what @msinger said hits the nail on the head about as square as you can hit it, Again, IMHO

... The majority of my flying is well out of the reach of cellular...
What is the relevance of cellular availability to flying the drone? I'm rather new at this. :/

These updates slowly decrease the operability of older devices. It’s an endless cycle that can be broken by keeping your craft offline. Don’t update and or firewall your Android device to prevent DJI GO4 from calling home.

Reactions: Former Member
These updates slowly decrease the operability of older devices. It’s an endless cycle that can be broken by keeping your craft offline. Don’t update and or firewall your Android device to prevent DJI GO4 from calling home.
Good point, but going that route has its pros and cons.

I specifically bought mynote 8 for mavic. With a 1200nit screen it's at least twice as bright as most other screens and once I'm done flying, it goes back to being a phone again

You don't need it I always fly in flight mode and Litchi recommend it in their tutorial.
Make sure you watch the free videos at Litchi Flight School.

By “flight mode” do you mean airplane mode? I am currently using airplane mode for the first time while on vacation and my MP is flying like a charm. I have practically no cell service as I am in Jamaica and opted out of their international service. Really didn’t feel like talking to anyone. I use my phone WiFi connected to the resort to check email and iMessage. Go4 has worked perfectly on airplane mode with zero issues. If you do not mean airplane mode that can be used without cell service and Litchi has a flight mode, then I may try that too. I have refrained from litchi for about 2 years after loosing my MP to connectivity issues with my phone at the time. My MP did not return home. I lucked out months later when someone found it on a roof top a mile or so from my home point. Since then I’ve flown Go.

You have taken the plunge. You have spent $1000 or more on your drone. You get it home and want to fly right away. You charge it up, head for the outdoors, and are ready to soar into the wild blue yonder. You start everything up, connect to your device, and... nothing. No video, no connection. No joy. Why?

Could it be because you didnt look on the list of approved devices and are having a compatibility problem? In the past few weeks I have seen a number of posts of people who can't connect, connections are lagging, or are disconnecting frequently. Many are from new pilots who are trying to use older devices to run their state-of-the-art drone. OK, some are due to software and firmware, but the majority are from people who are just trying to use a cheap or older device to run their expensive drone.

The Mavic is a mechanical and technological marvel. To get that much technology in a device smaller than a loaf of bread is just amazing. DJI has done their part to bring you up to and into the future, so why stay in the past using an old device? I have found that I have to replace my device every 2 years to keep up with DJI's cycle of innovation. If you are trying to run a device that's more than 3 or 4 years old, try not to expect too much from your drone. Some older Apple devices might be able to keep up, but I have found that android devices need to be replaced more often.

I also believe you should treat your Mavic like a lady. Don't you want your lady to look beautiful? You can keep her looking that way if you show her respect. One of my pet peeves is people using glue instead of replacing a part. Glue might work in emergency but it's unsightly and sometimes will cause you more problems than it will solve.

Self repair is another way to save money, but sometimes by trying to fix one thing you end up breaking another. More complicated repairs should be left to professionals who know what they're doing and will return your drone to you in flyable condition. I'm not using this to self promote, but to discourage amateurs from attempting the complicated repair that could cost them more in the long run.

My whole point is if you want to fully enjoy this hobby you should think about spending a little bit of money up front. One thing would be adding a contemporary device to operate your Mavic if you don't already have one. If you are professional it is really not an option to try to capture customers footage with an inferior device.

Another thing is drone damage insurance. Why take the risk of something bad happening when you could easily buy DJI refresh or get a drone insurance policy from an Insurance company. These policies are readily available and quite reasonably priced.

Every time I do a repair or sell a drone I mention all of these things to my customers. Most listen and enjoy the additional input I give them and wonder why they didn't think of it sooner.

Thank you for reading this long post and I hope you're making the most of this great weather we are having in the USA.

Best regards,

Rob
Thunderdrones
As always, quality information and well written posting from Thunderdrones.

What is the relevance of cellular availability to flying the drone?
If you have a cellular connection, you'll be able to use features that require being connected to the Internet. For example, you could download the maps in real-time or stream your flights live to Facebook/YouTube. Those features can be nice to have items, but they are not required for flying.

Reactions: MAVA4
You have taken the plunge. You have spent $1000 or more on your drone. You get it home and want to fly right away. You charge it up, head for the outdoors, and are ready to soar into the wild blue yonder. You start everything up, connect to your device, and... nothing. No video, no connection. No joy. Why?

Could it be because you didnt look on the list of approved devices and are having a compatibility problem? In the past few weeks I have seen a number of posts of people who can't connect, connections are lagging, or are disconnecting frequently. Many are from new pilots who are trying to use older devices to run their state-of-the-art drone. OK, some are due to software and firmware, but the majority are from people who are just trying to use a cheap or older device to run their expensive drone.

The Mavic is a mechanical and technological marvel. To get that much technology in a device smaller than a loaf of bread is just amazing. DJI has done their part to bring you up to and into the future, so why stay in the past using an old device? I have found that I have to replace my device every 2 years to keep up with DJI's cycle of innovation. If you are trying to run a device that's more than 3 or 4 years old, try not to expect too much from your drone. Some older Apple devices might be able to keep up, but I have found that android devices need to be replaced more often.

I also believe you should treat your Mavic like a lady. Don't you want your lady to look beautiful? You can keep her looking that way if you show her respect. One of my pet peeves is people using glue instead of replacing a part. Glue might work in emergency but it's unsightly and sometimes will cause you more problems than it will solve.

Self repair is another way to save money, but sometimes by trying to fix one thing you end up breaking another. More complicated repairs should be left to professionals who know what they're doing and will return your drone to you in flyable condition. I'm not using this to self promote, but to discourage amateurs from attempting the complicated repair that could cost them more in the long run.

My whole point is if you want to fully enjoy this hobby you should think about spending a little bit of money up front. One thing would be adding a contemporary device to operate your Mavic if you don't already have one. If you are professional it is really not an option to try to capture customers footage with an inferior device.

Another thing is drone damage insurance. Why take the risk of something bad happening when you could easily buy DJI refresh or get a drone insurance policy from an Insurance company. These policies are readily available and quite reasonably priced.

Every time I do a repair or sell a drone I mention all of these things to my customers. Most listen and enjoy the additional input I give them and wonder why they didn't think of it sooner.

Thank you for reading this long post and I hope you're making the most of this great weather we are having in the USA.

Best regards,

Rob
Thunderdrones
I already have. It's an amazing machine..Crystal Sky monitor, 6 batteries, etc.. .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas