DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be a big spender on your Mavic.

I understand the point, but I had been flying my MPP with my Google Pixel XL since February. The Pixel XL is not I. The DJI list of approved devices but it worked perfectly, even better than my iPad 4 Mini...until the last Go 4 app Android update. It has rendered the Pixel XL unusable and the DJI's tech support simply falls back to the "your device is not on the approved list" position. Infuriating!!!

I agree, however...
I think a follow post should be titled When To STOP Spending Money On Your Mavic.
While I have not been excessive in accessories, I have otherwise become a DJI fool.
I have TWO Mavics (couldn't resist Alpine White, used, excellent condition, good price), a crystalsky ultra (before the price went up), and the goggles (used, good condition)
All of this is great equipment, however, I do not intend to make any money, so these are sunk cost expenses.
My computer handles 2.7K editing well, but the monitor is 1080. So, I'm considering buying an Apple computer.
Ordinarily, I am reasonable in my spending, but this drone hobby has made me feel like a fool. All for the sake of videos only I'm interested in watching, as far as I know.
When will it ever end? The $buck$ stops here. Wait, what's that? Mavic Pro 2...uh oh.

Reactions: Dizzy1971 and JDawg
My phone is not on the supported list and it works great. Huawei Ascend XT2. I'm also lucky in that I don't need a lot of the new features DJI offers in their updates, so I don't update. IMO 9 out of 10 times you update, something will be broken.

My phone is not on the supported list and it works great. Huawei Ascend XT2.
I've had no trouble with my Huawei Ascend XT2 either. It's a good option if the budget is tight. The only downside I found is it loads a bit slower than my other more expensive devices (e.g. iPad Mini 4).

This upgrade cycle to maintain compatibility is vicious. I say get a working device/tablet and keep it off line after getting everything running. I’ve had good apps on iOS that were rendered useless after Apple’s updates and developers failing to update the apps for compatibility.

Agreed. Nothing’s worse than firing up an expensive machine only to have it hindered by software.

forget all of the fancy expensive phones and tablets and get a pair of dji goggles and and all of your problems are solved because i have been through all of the them. its a pain to fly with any connected device no matter what it is. goggles are the way to go. you can see everything right in front of your eyes. i have done things with goggles that i never would have done before. you still have to use dji go 4 at first just to login using goggles but after that you can disconnect it all together and lift the flight restrictions. i still fly my mavic line of sight sometimes but use my goggles for everything else. they work really good. i got tired of having frustrating image transmission issues with multiple devices over and over again. none of them worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone on
By “flight mode” do you mean airplane mode? I am currently using airplane mode for the first time while on vacation and my MP is flying like a charm. I have practically no cell service as I am in Jamaica and opted out of their international service. Really didn’t feel like talking to anyone. I use my phone WiFi connected to the resort to check email and iMessage. Go4 has worked perfectly on airplane mode with zero issues. If you do not mean airplane mode that can be used without cell service and Litchi has a flight mode, then I may try that too. I have refrained from litchi for about 2 years after loosing my MP to connectivity issues with my phone at the time. My MP did not return home. I lucked out months later when someone found it on a roof top a mile or so from my home point. Since then I’ve flown Go.
Yep meant airplane mode.
My Tab A is for my drones only so I dont have any other apps in it apart from the ones google instal.

Last edited:
I have been using china made phones for a few years already. They work fine. For Phantom Std 3, all no problem with the video taking.
I upgrade to Mavic, my android 4.2 china phone cannot install GO as it is too old. I use Ramos android 5.2, ok to fly all around but the video is jerky and horrible. The video in the SD card is fine and nice.
Now I have a new china phone POWER S3, the video on the phone is beautiful. I cannot afford or willing to pay those phone on DJI list, they are too expensive. I know my Mavic is also expensive, but since I am not a professional photographer, I do not mind a little grade below these professional. My Mavic is for flying enjoyment, So I am happy with the so called none in the list products.

Reactions: Former Member
Could it be because you didnt look on the list of approved devices and are having a compatibility problem? In the past few weeks I have seen a number of posts of people who can't connect, connections are lagging, or are disconnecting frequently. Many are from new pilots who are trying to use older devices to run their state-of-the-art drone. OK, some are due to software and firmware, but the majority are from people who are just trying to use a cheap or older device to run their expensive drone.
Thunderdrones

I've had my Mavic Pro for well over a year now, have used it for pleasure and a few commercial applications. It has not had a crash and is still using the original props.

I started flying with an LG G4 which was not on the approved device DJI list yet performed flawlessly. When I needed to replace that handset, I specifically chose a newer device on the approved list, an LG V20. I was comfortable with LG's software implementation and my successful experience with the older LG hardware led me to think that, if anything, my new phone would be even better. For one thing, the G4 micro USB charge/synch port had seen significant use and the new USB 3 port on the V20 was unworn and rated for a much higher number of cycles.

Since switching to the V20 last summer, I have not had a single flight with the Mavic where the DJI Go 4 app didn't close during flight. I've turned on USB debugging, reboot the phone, switch to airplane mode, force stop unnecessary background apps. I've also tried the bottom port on the controller and a few different cords. The cords work fine for charging and synching files and the port works great with my OTG adapters. Both of my handsets were from the same network carrier and are similarly configured.

All I can say is that any advice to rely on the manufacturer's approved list is completely baseless. I am not the only one who has posted about G0 4 crashes with the V20 here and on other forums. DJI should post suggested minimum hardware standards for processor, memory and free space or explain under what circumstances their approved harware actually worked, assuming they even tested it once.

Since flying with the V20, I only fly when and where I don't need a video feed from the Mavic to abort and safely return. The app usually reconnects promptly so I can usually finish or redo a take but I no longer have the confidence inspired by a solid connection.

I would gladly have selected a different Android phone if DJI had listed one as having been tested but it seems they blindly list a gaggle of semi-recent devices without any suggestion as to how to ensure optimal stability of their app on any hardware.

I've had my Mavic Pro for well over a year now, have used it for pleasure and a few commercial applications. It has not had a crash and is still using the original props.

I started flying with an LG G4 which was not on the approved device DJI list yet performed flawlessly. When I needed to replace that handset, I specifically chose a newer device on the approved list, an LG V20. I was comfortable with LG's software implementation and my successful experience with the older LG hardware led me to think that, if anything, my new phone would be even better. For one thing, the G4 micro USB charge/synch port had seen significant use and the new USB 3 port on the V20 was unworn and rated for a much higher number of cycles.

Since switching to the V20 last summer, I have not had a single flight with the Mavic where the DJI Go 4 app didn't close during flight. I've turned on USB debugging, reboot the phone, switch to airplane mode, force stop unnecessary background apps. I've also tried the bottom port on the controller and a few different cords. The cords work fine for charging and synching files and the port works great with my OTG adapters. Both of my handsets were from the same network carrier and are similarly configured.

All I can say is that any advice to rely on the manufacturer's approved list is completely baseless. I am not the only one who has posted about G0 4 crashes with the V20 here and on other forums. DJI should post suggested minimum hardware standards for processor, memory and free space or explain under what circumstances their approved harware actually worked, assuming they even tested it once.

Since flying with the V20, I only fly when and where I don't need a video feed from the Mavic to abort and safely return. The app usually reconnects promptly so I can usually finish or redo a take but I no longer have the confidence inspired by a solid connection.

I would gladly have selected a different Android phone if DJI had listed one as having been tested but it seems they blindly list a gaggle of semi-recent devices without any suggestion as to how to ensure optimal stability of their app on any hardware.

Yes, you are very right
DJI should post suggested minimum hardware standards for processor, memory and free space or explain under what circumstances their approved harware actually worked, assuming they even tested it once.
We are just blindly trying out others and hoping the non listed products work well.

Since switching to the V20 last summer, I have not had a single flight with the Mavic where the DJI Go 4 app didn't close during flight.

How many flights have you had since last summer? Anyone else use the V20 with or without any problems? If I just bought a new device to fly my drone, and the app crashed twice in 2 flights, the phone would go back.

How many flights have you had since last summer? Anyone else use the V20 with or without any problems? If I just bought a new device to fly my drone, and the app crashed twice in 2 flights, the phone would go back.

I've run 80 battery cycles with an average of nearly 2 crashes per flight since the new phone. I've had short hops of under 10 minutes without a crash but those have been rare. If the phone were warranted to work with the app, I might have considered returning it. Unfortunately, it's DJI that asserts the claim.

I have searched rcgroups and this forum about V20 crashes with Go 4 and have found I am not alone. About 2 months ago I acquired a refurbished G4 for this flying season. I installed Go 4.1.3. It works. No crashes.

I've run 80 battery cycles with an average of nearly 2 crashes per flight since the new phone.

You must have the patience of a saint. :)

I have searched rcgroups and this forum about V20 crashes with Go 4 and have found I am not alone. About 2 months ago I acquired a refurbished G4 for this flying season. I installed Go 4.1.3. It works. No crashes.

Glad to hear you found a device that works flawlessly.

About 2 months ago I acquired a refurbished G4 for this flying season.

I live one flying season to the next, more like one day to the next when it comes to devices to fly Mavics. You never know when a device will be removed from DJI's list, and/or stop working due to a Go update or a device update.

End your agony.
Buy an Apple device. The DJI products are meant for Apple, and here's why...

Other evidence: Back of Mavic Pro box...source of image

Mavic pro box back.JPG

Reactions: Former Member
You must have the patience of a saint.

You must not have detected my disgust with the lack of good concise and accurate information provided by DJI.

I've flown RC for over 40 years and respect what DJI have accomplished. The controller has never crashed and by flying within my self imposed limits, the intermittent loss of video feed and camera settings is more of a nuisance than a deal breaker.

My G4 is factory clean with no SIM, no extra installed apps other than what I consider a known good version of Go 4 and those built in apps that can't be removed. I've kept the LG G4 permanently in airplane mode so it can't check for updates. I get a nag about no fly zone database update that I dismiss when I start the app. Incidentally, my original G4 always reported failure to complete the no flyzone update. I don't use maps since they add nothing to line of sight flying for photography or videography.

I am absolutely disgusted with DJI's lack of transparency. For example, the misinformation and resulting conjecture about obstacle avoidance limitations is a disservice to all operators. The Mavic can "see" a vertical 2" cable at 10 feet. At 45 degrees from vertical, the Mavic sees that same cable as 14.1' away. When the cable is horizontal, the cable appears to be infinitely far away. It is a physical limitation of the hardware implementation that DJI can't be bothered to explain. The same can be said about the information about flying over water and release notes regarding firmware and software updates.

As an RC flier, being able to turn off the GPS would be a boon in environments where one is subject to intermittent signal loss. This is enormously exacerbated when flying in proximity to magnetic disturbances and anomalies. Having some information about these issues would forewarn and forearm a reasonable user to enable them to fly safely.

Bottom line, it is possible to fly the Mavic safely but DJI makes it near impossible for the less informed public to do so. They give vague warnings about obstacle avoidance, water and flying indoors to escape liability but no reasonably accurate information to allow users to make informed decisions.

DJI have completely failed to meet my expectations for information and transparency, presumably under the guise of protecting intellectual property. Lucky for me, my accumulated experience and knowledge and a degree of serendipity and prudence have made the Mavic a reasonable selection for my somewhat circumscribed applications.

End your agony.
Buy an Apple device. The DJI products are meant for Apple, and here's why...

My wife and I own and have owned several Apple devices including computers, audio players and handsets and I find they inadequately fit into my ecosystem and philosophy. The deliberate slowdowns of hardware, obstensibly to preserve battery life, is the kind of lack of transparency I've come to expect and experience from DJI. I can see how a person who is satisfied with abdicating choice and control might see a fit between Apple and DJI.

I have no agony. I'm peeved that DJI misdirected me in selecting a handset but now have an inexpensive device that can serve as a back up phone should either my wife or I destroy our current devices. A simple SIM card transfer and software restore and we're up again. It also runs my selected version of Go 4 flawlessly. I agree that Apple devices appear to have a good track record with the Mavic and would be a reasonable choice for people who can accept and tolerate Apple's way.

Please tell me in what way the DJI product called Crystalsky meets your generalization as being "meant for Apple."

Reactions: j.r.r.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78