DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be gentle with me please !

warpfactor55

Reactions
I have found most people on this Forum extremely helpful and I am always very grateful for that but as a newbie, who hasn't even purchased his drone yet, I am asking if someone can help me get my head around the display option please ? Firstly I am going to buy a Mavic1 if I can call it that for the moment. It may be a Platinum, I haven't made my mind up yet. Almost certainly it won't be a Mavic2. But my concern is that, because my 'phone is steam driven, i.e. it's not any kind of iPhone because I only use it for calls and texts, I have to buy a display screen. I would rather buy something with a larger screen than a 'phone.

I understand that an mini iPad4 is a good option but what I'm not sure about is that some seem to be cellular, and some aren't. Am I correct in thinking that if I get one that can be connected to a cellular network that I will be able to use GPS on my drone but if it doesn't have the cellular option then I am limited to wi-fi ?

I want to buy a drone because I am a rural dweller who has lived and worked in the countryside all of my life and I have in mind a project to document all the changes that have taken place within say a 5 mile radius of where I live during my lifetime. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector to edit videos and while no expert I am reasonably proficient in it's use.

And finally, I did read somewhere that DJI have an intention to produce and sell drones with a display option similar to what I am thinking of doing. Why oh why hasn't this already happened ?

The ipad with cellular has a gps chip The ipads without cellular do not.
Either will work almost exactly the same as far as flying goes.
The Mavic has its own GPS.
You will not get live real map updates in the GO 4 app without cellular, so you have to get them loaded via a hotspot wifi connection to the ipad. It also will not let you take off, walk a mile away and then rest the homepoint to the new spot without that connection. Some tracking features wont work without the connection.

Edit; *SLAP!* Just because I dont want to be gentle! :D

Reactions: warpfactor55
Thank you for that quick response. I think I understand what you are saying. I presume that if I connect a wi-fi iPad to my router then I can download map and software updates ? I presume that if I buy a cellular iPad then I have to put my sim in it each time that I want to fly. That in itself isn't a problem except that my network always warns me that I have swapped devices. Does cellular have greater distance than wi-fi as far as controlling the drone is concerned ?

Thank you for that quick response. I think I understand what you are saying. I presume that if I connect a wi-fi iPad to my router then I can download map and software updates ? I presume that if I buy a cellular iPad then I have to put my sim in it each time that I want to fly. That in itself isn't a problem except that my network always warns me that I have swapped devices. Does cellular have greater distance than wi-fi as far as controlling the drone is concerned ?
It makes NO difference in normal flight.
You can usually get an IPAD on a cell account pretty cheap. I think it added $10 to add an ipad connection to our account. (not including buying the ipad itself)
With the wi fi version, if you can ste your phone up as a wifi hotspot, then connect the ipad WIFI. You will get the same result.

Thanks again. In view of what you have written and to keep things simple I think a wi-fi iPad will do what I want it to. I shall never ask it to follow me and I won't be moving from launch point so RTH shouldn't be an issue ?
EDIT. Worth enquiring about sticking the iPad on the account though.

Rth will be fine.

I like the full size ipad just for the screen size, but then you need a mount for it, it makes the remote/tablet kind of awkward to handle. But most mounts include a neck strap that supports the assembly pretty nice.

Yes, I had thought about the full size iPad, my Wife has one, but mini looks a bit handier. I think I should investigate the difference in image size between the mini and the full size. Thank you for your continued help.

The mini 4 is super cheap right now and has worked flawlessly. .. And it fits in the controller no problem .. But so does my Note 8. But I purchased the mini as a dedicated device and only use it outside of my Mavic Pro 1 as an internet surfer in the evenings before I charge it up for tomorrows flight.

The mini 4 is super cheap right now and has worked flawlessly. .. And it fits in the controller no problem .. But so does my Note 8. But I purchased the mini as a dedicated device and only use it outside of my Mavic Pro 1 as an internet surfer in the evenings before I charge it up for tomorrows flight.
That's exactly what I thought I might do. I am a desktop man really. I like the mouse and keyboard, both cordless in my case, and the bigger screen. But we do have a CCTV system here and it would be useful to pick that up when I'm watching TV or something like that like my Wife does on her iPad.

Welcome! What is your situation with respect to Internet connectivity? If you have a solid connection via a desktop or laptop, take a look at DJI Assistant for updating the firmware for your remote and drone.

Yes, but my questions are pretty elementary and some people who are totally conversant with these issues might take issue with my naievety.
Yeah, There are a WHOLE BUNCH of them here too! Glad I "headed them off" :D

That's exactly what I thought I might do. I am a desktop man really. I like the mouse and keyboard, both cordless in my case, and the bigger screen. But we do have a CCTV system here and it would be useful to pick that up when I'm watching TV or something like that like my Wife does on her iPad.

I didnt want to have anything to do with Ipads till I got one. Use it all the time. Forum viewing, and ebay and Amazon browsing. My cable provider has an app that allows me to watch every channel I pay for via my WiFi, so the ipad is like a shop or Bathroom TV too! :D

Welcome! What is your situation with respect to Internet connectivity? If you have a solid connection via a desktop or laptop, take a look at DJI Assistant for updating the firmware for your remote and drone.
I have a desktop hard wired to the router which is 1 metre away from it. Thank you for that.

Yeah, There are a WHOLE BUNCH of them here too! Glad I "headed them off" :D

I didnt want to have anything to do with Ipads till I got one. Use it all the time. Forum viewing, and ebay and Amazon browsing. My cable provider has an app that allows me to watch every channel I pay for via my WiFi, so the ipad is like a shop or Bathroom TV too! :D
Sorry but whenever I try the Wife's iPad it drives me round the bend. It is her only access to the Internet and she loves it but I much prefer all the other goodies that a decent speedy desktop can offer. But I can see certain attractions when I want Internet access when sitting in the lounge. Plus the fact that as I see it the view of the drone camera would be much better than a 'phone when flying. Does anyone know anything about a DJI proposed product that has it's own screen ?

In terms of a "DJI proposed product that has it's own screen," it is rumoured that the Mavic 2 series will have a controller with a built-in screen.

But, if you are looking for something available now, you have two options: (1) DJI CrystalSky, usable on any DJI drone, or (2) Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 with upgraded remote controller. Both have screens that are at least two times brighter than an iPad.

In terms of a "DJI proposed product that has it's own screen," it is rumoured that the Mavic 2 series will have a controller with a built-in screen.

But, if you are looking for something available now, you have two options: (1) DJI CrystalSky, usable on any DJI drone, or (2) Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 with upgraded remote controller. Both have screens that are at least two times brighter than an iPad.
Now that is very useful info. Thanks very much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone