DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beach Flying Tonight!

drone_dh

Reactions
After work, have a cooler with a couple of sandwiches, and yes, my M2Z! We live very close to the beach and this time of year is epic, not many people around (tourists are gone) and the sunsets are incredible. I doubt I'll fly over the water, still too scared about losing my new drone, but I am DEFINITELY going to get some spirals, dronies, and other vids of us on the beach tonight. Can't wait, sorry to brag!

So, we went to the beach last night... wind was whipping to the south, which would have taken my new, expensive drone out to sea if it malfunctioned... so, I did not fly it. Beautiful evening watching the sunset, not a cloud in the sky, but I chickened out. I think it would have been ok in the wind, and if it were blowing inland or any direction BUT directly out to sea, I would have launched it. Dangit!

After work, have a cooler with a couple of sandwiches, and yes, my M2Z! We live very close to the beach and this time of year is epic, not many people around (tourists are gone) and the sunsets are incredible. I doubt I'll fly over the water, still too scared about losing my new drone, but I am DEFINITELY going to get some spirals, dronies, and other vids of us on the beach tonight. Can't wait, sorry to brag!
Yes I get where you are coming from. I live by the ocean in Stuart FL, and I have been flying my Mavic Air over the water for a long time now without any problem. I just purchased the M2Z two weeks ago and already went over the water.
I have been photographing a new building going up now for over a year and its across the street from the ocean. Using the M2Z now and even with 25 MPH winds this thing just sits still. It is always better to fly out against the wind for a number of reasons
to come back with it, but the speed built into this drone even without sport mode is great to counter those kinds of wind speed. I should say the first time I went to fly over water, I went to some nearby lakes. I stayed 10 feet above and
flew up down and around, and all readings were as if over ground. Why I did it there first made no sense because it is alligator infested anyway, so If it went down it would have stayed there. Fly safe and enjoy, most of the nerves will go away.

Thanks! I flew one of my first flights from my driveway and the wind was gusting pretty hard and it was unbelieveably steady. I just had this image in my mind of my drone doing a "Shannon is gone awaaaaay, she's drifting out to sea...." I waited a long time to get this bird, I simply chickened out.

The mavic 2 is good with wind. Just FYI. Would maybe not have flown over ocean, but land... I would not have worried. 15 mph winds I take off no problem. Use an app to check current wind conditions. Sometimes you think it’s lore than what it is.
Good luck on the flights.

Reactions: drone_dh
I was at a beach last year with my M2 where it was a bit windy. I almost didn't fly. It did quite well though. Right after I finished, someone flew their P4. I spoke with him. If it weren't for my flying going OK, he would have decided not to fly.

As I said, I would have thrown it up had the wind been in any direction other than straight offshore.
I get it. Wind direction has changed my flight plans more than once. That was with the Spark though, somewhat less competent in wind than the M2. Still, I agree with your reasoning. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead