DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beach Towel as Landing/Launching Pad—Good idea or bad idea?

dronerat

Reactions
If you are launching and landing on a sandy beach, is it a good idea to use a beach towel ontop of the sand as a landing pad?

Does a towel offer enough protection?

Is there any way that using a beach towel as a launch/landing pad is a bad idea?

You do not want the props hitting the towel. Especially if they catch. That means you want the landing area to be as level as possible.

Maybe you could level off some sand, put the towel down, and then bury the edges of the towel with sand so it doesn't catch in any breeze. I guess at that point the central area might be sand-free?

A hard surface would be better.

Reactions: YVRGUY
J'utilise un tapis réfrigérant pour chien, ils en existent de différentes tailles qui sont pliables, de couleur bleu entre autres et suffisamment lourd.
A+patc45 de France!

Beach towel is fine, much better than nothing. As mentioned make sure you anchor the ends. I personally just bring the WPLS (Wife Portable Landing/Launch System) ;)

Attachments

• Drtonelanding.jpg
    Drtonelanding.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 18
Get a drone pad, they're cheap and simple to use. Agree with TruGreen, a corner is likely to blow up and get tangled in a rotor blade at which point, you may not know if there is subtle damage done to the prop

Reactions: YVRGUY
I use a carpet remnant. Stable and and downdraft from the props doesn't move it around.

Reactions: mereflyer
I fly frequently from beaches, always from below high tide mark on damp but firm sand and have had no problems. You are going to blow sand around on dry sand, not a good situation. Don't get too close to the sea as the odd rogue wave will drown your drone.

Agreed. Once I started hand launching/landing I never stopped.
Me, too. No less safe than using a saw, which I'm sure many here do.

EXCEPT in wind. A sudden gust of wind can be problematic if it happens right at landing time. Ask me how I know.

I use 4 substantial pieces of cardboard about 3x2 with target images downloaded from the web for a linear arrangement to practice landing on each one. When I place all 4 together it makes for a large landing area and all four are easy to carry.
When I see videos of flyers landing on gravel or dirt I wonder how much material gets in the motors. I have been flying for a couple of years and have never done a landing by hand which would seem the best method around sand. I would have a real concern if the landing missed the pad and landed in the sand.
I also bought archery targets to place on a spare car mat but it is awkward to handle.
Archery targets are quite large which makes landing easier on windy days. : )

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead