DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Beaver Creek Falls in the Oregon Coast Range

AlanL

Premium Pilot
Reactions
A shot of Beaver Creek Falls in the Siuslaw National Forest near Mapleton, Oregon. I normally shoot falls like these with a shutter speed of around 1/4s with my DSLR to smooth out the water flows but with the drone I used burst mode to grab 5 rapid captures. The drone exposure was 1/15s so I used 3 shots to simulate a roughly 1/4s shutter speed.

Comments and critiques always welcome.

Last edited:
This tuned out well. Will you try it again with a neutral density filter attached? There are in National Forest just 3 hours away. I hope to shoot photos and video next Spring after the nd filters become avail for the Mavic 3 Classic.

Reactions: AlanL
This tuned out well. Will you try it again with a neutral density filter attached? There are in National Forest just 3 hours away. I hope to shoot photos and video next Spring after the nd filters become avail for the Mavic 3 Classic.

Thanks - I would be more inclined to go for a higher f/stop before installing ND filters. I use ND filters for my DSLR on a tripod only if I have to and have never used them for still images with my Mavic 3. My understanding is that the ND filters are primarily for video work to control frame rates.

Awesome, Very nice!

Reactions: AlanL
Good idea to blend multiple images!
Using Median Blending mode on the stack is a trick often used for waterfall images with a DSLR when you don't have a tripod. Turns out it works well with our drones too :)

Using Median Blending mode on the stack is a trick often used for waterfall images with a DSLR when you don't have a tripod. Turns out it works well with our drones too :)
Do you only blend the moving water or the entire picture? The leaves and surrounding areas are still focused very well.

Do you only blend the moving water or the entire picture? The leaves and surrounding areas are still focused very well.
I blended for the entire image. Burst mode is very quick in grabbing the captures which minimizes motion artifacts but just in case I do an auto-align in Photoshop prior to creating a smart object out of the layers. I then use Layer>Smart Object>Stack Mode>Median Blending to finish the process.

I blended for the entire image. Burst mode is very quick in grabbing the captures which minimizes motion artifacts but just in case I do an auto-align in Photoshop prior to creating a smart object out of the layers. I then use Layer>Smart Object>Stack Mode>Median Blending to finish the process.
Great information! Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147