DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner Advice/Tips for selling drone footage

2434Rose

Reactions
Aloha,

Hope that your day so far is going well.

I have been flying my drone recrationally for the past two years, however I want to start dipping my toes into selling my drone footage as stock footage. I live on the islands of Hawai'i, which I feel like is full of different opportunities for different shots.

This is my first time ever trying to do something like this, so any/all advice would be most appreciated! Knowing where to start ( licenses/permits to grab, sites to sell footage at) is where I need the most help.

I'm currently studying in university, and want to get some pocket money without worrying about being commited to a full time job, as I can focus on my academics while filming while I can.

Please let me know! Thanks!

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

One of the first things you will need to do is earn your Part 107 Drone Pilot's License.
Secondly, I recommend creating an online portfolio of your work.
Thirdly, you will need to do some market research to see what's out there in the way of image needs and competition.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 2434Rose
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

One of the first things you will need to do is earn your Part 107 Drone Pilot's License.
Secondly, I recommend creating an online portfolio of your work.
Thirdly, you will need to do some market research to see what's out there in the way of image needs and competition.

Good Luck!
Greetings!

Thank you so much for responding, this is really helpful c:

Does it vary by state on if you can sell drone footage or not? I tried doing reaserch via my local goverment and aviation agency but non really specified it.

Secondly, do you have any sites you recommend for selling drone footage?

Thanks again to responding to my post!

…Does it vary by state on if you can sell drone footage or not? I tried doing reaserch via my local goverment and aviation agency but non really specified it.….
Aloha from a former islander, and I wen’ UH!

FAA has near-exclusive authority over airspace, states (Hawaii) would typically have laws related to trespassing, privacy, and harassment.

However, with as many military installations as there are on Oahu there will be lots of places you can’t fly, with/without photographs. For example, the beach at Bellows is technically Air Force, though it’s open to the public it may not be open to drone flights.

The other big carve out is National Parks.

@GFields recommendation that you get your Part 107 Certificate for any flights where you intend to sell photos/videos is solid and a legal requirement across the US.

You could look at pilotinstitute.com for info on what a Pt. 107 Certificate is about, they also offer a prep course that many people like.

Here is a rundown of Hawaii requirements:

Reactions: 2434Rose
Aloha from a former islander, and I wen’ UH!

FAA has near-exclusive authority over airspace, states (Hawaii) would typically have laws related to trespassing, privacy, and harassment.

However, with as many military installations as there are on Oahu there will be lots of places you can’t fly, with/without photographs. For example, the beach at Bellows is technically Air Force, though it’s open to the public it may not be open to drone flights.

The other big carve out is National Parks.

@GFields recommendation that you get your Part 107 Certificate for any flights where you intend to sell photos/videos is solid and a legal requirement across the US.

You could look at pilotinstitute.com for info on what a Pt. 107 Certificate is about, they also offer a prep course that many people like.

Here is a rundown of Hawaii requirements:
Thanks! This is really helpful.

Aloha,

Hope that your day so far is going well.

I have been flying my drone recrationally for the past two years, however I want to start dipping my toes into selling my drone footage as stock footage. I live on the islands of Hawai'i, which I feel like is full of different opportunities for different shots.

This is my first time ever trying to do something like this, so any/all advice would be most appreciated! Knowing where to start ( licenses/permits to grab, sites to sell footage at) is where I need the most help.

I'm currently studying in university, and want to get some pocket money without worrying about being commited to a full time job, as I can focus on my academics while filming while I can.

Please let me know! Thanks!
You may want to join, for free, www.pond5.com
This is a stock video company that will allow you to upload your footage and sell it. I joined it and have submitted many clips, but have yet to sell anything yet but it's worth a try.

Dale
Miami

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Madejow95