DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner drone recommendation

Hello to everybody.

As a beginner to drone flying, but regular model and fpv flyer I would like to ask for you recommendations.
I am looking for drone with:
Good stability and very easy flying
Longest control/video range available
Decent quality of video/pic.

I decided for DJI mini 2.

What do you think, is this good decision for hobby/relax flying, mostly for FPV operation and some video pic making?

Many thanks and I wish you all the best guys!

Tomas

It all depends on what “decent quality of video/pic” means to you. I looked at the Mini 2, Air 2 & 2 Pro. Based on specs and YouTube reviews, I decided to go with the Air 2 as my first flying camera. There are pros and cons to each and my primary purpose for the drone is still camera work.

I am a member of a serious camera club and am used to shooting with some very capable gear and competing with others with similar gear. Based on that, my evaluation of ”decent quality” may differ from yours. I balanced the value equation and decided the mini was out based on the camera capabilities. Further, while the 2 Pro has a better camera, it’s literally twice the price of the Air 2 and as a beginner at the drone world, I did not want to throw that much money at a drone. There are limitations to the Air 2’s camera, primarily its fixed 2.8 aperture and sensor size, so it will be noisier than the Pro 2, but I decided FOR ME at this time, the 2 Pro was not worth twice the price. Now, in a couple years, if I like the drone world and as a then-experienced drone pilot, the then-current 2 Pro replacement that meets the Category 2 requirements may join my stable - time will tell.

In the end, it comes down to what you can afford and what you need. If you are looking for a quality drone to build time and the capabilities of the Mini 2 camera are acceptable to you, that is where I would go. If you are saying, “I can get either the Mini 2 fly more combo or the Air 2 without the combo”, unless the camera quality is of paramount importance, I would get the Mini 2 with the combo. I would also suggest purchasing the DJI Care package for your first drone - I did. While I would prefer not to need it, I realize there are good odds that I might need it and it will relieve much of the sting if I do.

FWIW, if not having to register the drone is important to you, the Mini is the way to go. However if you use it for part 107 ops, you will be required to register it. Good luck with your decision and have fun flying it.

I'm loving my Mavic Mini 2. As above, I have to pay attention to where I am taking it due to limited sensors, and I am taking some risks due to the low price point. I have the Care thing, but am not sure I am going to get to use it if things go pear shaped, as I am attracted to water and the bush.

Whatever you get among the recommendations above, I don't think you'll regret the purchase.

I didn't read all the replies, but yes, the Mavic Air 2 is a drone you can grow into. But I noticed that you are from Bratislava, which I presume is in Europe. European countries have more strict rules about registration, licensing, etc. A lot of folks go for the smaller drone because it bypasses a lot of the (unnecessary IMO) bureaucracy and restrictions in the UK, EU and Canada. But the US seems to be catching up quickly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143