DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner needs help please

Flyer 2010

Reactions
Just bought the Air and therefore just joined the forum as a newby!

Last weekend I tried to use my drone in an area where their was no mobile phone signal in the UK.

I have a few begginer questions please.

1. Can you operate the Air without a mobile phone signal?
2. If yes, then can you view the camera on your phone for compositon etc?
3. What features do you lose? Return to home etc?
4. Does your phone still need GPS to keep the drone stable? if so can you get this without a phone signal.

Sorry about all the stupid questions but cant find the answers to this on the web.

I am based in the UK

Cheers and thank you

Flyer2010

Can you operate the Air without a mobile phone signal?
Yes.

If yes, then can you view the camera on your phone for compositon etc?
Yes.

What features do you lose?
You won't be able to use any of the features that require an Internet connection. For example, you won't be able to download the DJI GO maps in real-time or stream your flights live to YouTube.

Does your phone still need GPS to keep the drone stable?
No. The drone uses GPS data from its internal GPS receiver.

Based on your questions I have a sneaky suspicion that you may not have read up on how to use your new ‘toy’. Toy it is not!

I (and most others in this forum) strongly recommend that you read the online manual and other information available at the following DJI info site:

Mavic Air– Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Reactions: Prismatic
you can fly without a phone signal and still get 99% of features. all you don’t get is maps (which shows where your drone is over streets, etc.) and live streaming which you will probably never use. Without phone signal you can still use return to home, the drone is still very stable, and you can still see live camera feed. Basically, you should have no problems whatsoever flying without phone signal. I hope you enjoy the mavic and the forum!

If you know you will be flying where there is no signal make sure you look at the location in the CAA Drone Assist App before you go to location and confirm there are no restrictions or hazards you need to be aware of and ideally log a flight plan, if for nothing else than to be a responsible flyer. Good luck.

If you know you will be flying where there is no signal make sure you look at the location in the CAA Drone Assist App before you go to location and confirm there are no restrictions or hazards you need to be aware of and ideally log a flight plan, if for nothing else than to be a responsible flyer. Good luck.
Also you can download the maps for the area your flying in so you can use the maps offline. Lots of people use tablets without data for flights (I do too, but tend to tether it to phone)

Where in the UK are you? If nearby I can give you a quick 401

Also you can download the maps for the area your flying in so you can use the maps offline. Lots of people use tablets without data for flights (I do too, but tend to tether it to phone)

Where in the UK are you? If nearby I can give you a quick 401
Thanks I live in Beverley in East Yorkshire

Thanks for all your feedback and yes maybe I need to read the manual, to be honest I have been watching you tube clips so maybe I need to look at the very basics. Thanks everyone

Thanks for all your feedback and yes maybe I need to read the manual, to be honest I have been watching you tube clips so maybe I need to look at the very basics. Thanks everyone
Bummer, absolutely miles away. Oh well.

Based on your questions I have a sneaky suspicion that you may not have read up on how to use your new ‘toy’. Toy it is not!

I (and most others in this forum) strongly recommend that you read the online manual and other information available at the following DJI info site:

Mavic Air– Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads
Excellent suggestions! I read the DJI documentation front to back, before the drone even arrived, and that was just a starting point. The best way to learn is by doing, but you can accelerate your learning by reading forums like this, and learn from the experience of others. Watching YouTube videos can be very helpful too.

One suggestion from me: always fly with your mobile device’s screen capture ON. This is independent of the recording on the drone. I do it all the time and review after every flight. The overlay includes tons of info, much of which you will miss during the flight. The screen capture lets you see what you did right, and what you did wrong.

I always fly my MA in Aeroplane mode i.e no mobile phone signal no wifi. no problems so far.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98