DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginning to wonder about Crystal Sky

My CS UB is dying after 5mths, it's got the dreaded flicker up, so it's just a matter of time.

Looks like the heat issues are cumulative eventually all CS UB's will die

Last edited:
Bugga Ken... send it back and get a new one or a new inside. They turn them around pretty quick about 2 weeks. They are giving you express post back & forth.
What speeds it up if you take a video of the problem. YouTube or Dropbox

Bugga Ken... send it back and get a new one or a new inside. They turn them around pretty quick about 2 weeks. They are giving you express post back & forth.
What speeds it up if you take a video of the problem. YouTube or Dropbox

Thanks for the advice Marty, it was the Amazon Litchi that triggered it, turned it on for 2 minutes to test Litchi and it became super hot, shut it down but the damage was done.
My take is not to try the Amazon Litchi on any Crystalsky, it runs super hot for some reason.

I think I just want to get another 5.5

I use the i pad 10" and love it. also use the hoodman with the mavemount. A lot of the times
i use just the i pad without the hoodman. I have never had a problem with useing the i pad.

Really strange phenomena, after having the unusable flicker problem which a factory reset on the day could not fix.

I decide to run the the CS UB today to the point of backlight failure so I could return it for a refund, but strangely when I turned it on from a cold start, the flickering is all gone and the panel is back to normal and evenly lit across the screen. I ran it flying with the P4P for 1 hr on full brightness and sound and there was surprisingly no problems at all, it is again functioning according to spec. High temp reached was on the panel at 40c and around the ports at 38c, the fan did not come on at all.

This is a bit perplexing given the amount of flickering and uneven backlight issues a few days ago.
The only difference now is the factory reset has removed the Amazon app store and the Litchi app associated with it. The only thing I can see is that the Amazon Litchi caused it to overheat very quickly and that the issues were related to the CS being too hot at the time.

I am now stuck with a potentially failing CS UB, that is running normally when I use DJI Go 4 4.2.6, this will be hard to explain to support.

Last edited:
Hey Ken,

You might have a good one

Lol

I have a looser one, prefer it to be faulty or working, not something in between that is different from one day to the next LOL.

Reactions: Forestjim
I have been thinking about the CS Ultra with an evolution 4d mount but most of the forums are replete with descriptions of backlight failures, overheating, software glitches, slow performance and lack of tech support and that's just to name a few.
Now I need something to work in bright situations at the beach etc and of course, this would be the best tool for the job. I ma thinking that DJI or perhaps some aftermarket company will come up with something that will be better suited and error free. I asked DJI about any updates to the precut and was only told to keep checking their website. In sum, I think DJI released this before it was quite ready for the rigors of its intended use. Since I am new at this, has anyone here had any insight to how quickly DJI creates fixes for their issues? To me, these issues don't much look like software updates but rather a complete re=working of the product due to the screen failures and other "mechanical" complaints. Am I being unreasonable? Is there any reason to expect that an aftermarket device will be available at some point?

Thanks
Ray
I use Mav mount with my CS ultra. I place it on a tripod, which takes the weight off, and brings the monitor up to eye level, so no neck strain looking down all the time. This combination works great.. If you use a tripod be sure to turn the CS 90 degrees to the wind so that it doesn't act like a sail and catch the wind would could cause it to fall over. Also, if you use a tripod, buy a long USB cable so you are not glued to the monitor, but watch your step so you don't kick the legs of the tripod.
I've never had an issue with CS. Good luck.
I have also use a long Hoodman like sunhood, and it worked great and MUCH less expensive. However, having my head buried in the sunhood the entire flight was a PITA. If this could be set up on a tripod, so that you it's at eye level this could be a viable alternative, and much less expensive. I think the trick would be to keep the sunhood up and not droop over.

I use Mav mount with my CS ultra. I place it on a tripod, which takes the weight off, and brings the monitor up to eye level, so no neck strain looking down all the time. This combination works great.. If you use a tripod be sure to turn the CS 90 degrees to the wind so that it doesn't act like a sail and catch the wind would could cause it to fall over. Also, if you use a tripod, buy a long USB cable so you are not glued to the monitor, but watch your step so you don't kick the legs of the tripod.
I've never had an issue with CS. Good luck.
I have also use a long Hoodman like sunhood, and it worked great and MUCH less expensive. However, having my head buried in the sunhood the entire flight was a PITA. If this could be set up on a tripod, so that you it's at eye level this could be a viable alternative, and much less expensive. I think the trick would be to keep the sunhood up and not droop over.
Hi Drone On
I’m keen to see a picture of your Tripod setup. Any chance you could post it pic ?
Cheers
Marty

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580