DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Below freezing Flying

Ok now flew with my galaxy S8 at -10 degrees celcius. Everything was fine. Flew for 20 mins. Apple crap phones shut down very quickly. M2P fine, S8 fine, Iphone 6S and X crap. Just make sure the air is dry and realise the air is much colder high above ground level.

Aircraft was fine, even with the wind chill at 200 meters altitude.

Wind chill has no effect on this. Wind chill is a measurement of the rate of heat loss from your body when you're exposed to low temperatures combined with wind. It has nothing to do with inanimate objects. It's 8'F here in northern Canada and the MPP is flying... no problems.

Has anyone flown there Mavic 2 in cold weather yet? If so, did everything go ok?
I prefer using my IPad mini 4, but it freezes up very quickly around 0 degrees C. My iPhone 7 does much better. I seldom use RTH. I just maneuver the drone until distance is getting lower and zoom it on back until I see it, usually 200 feet or thereabouts.

What gives the Mavic 2 the edge is because the M2 batteries have self-heating capability, which the older ones did not...so they are still able to dispense the proper amperage for safe flight in those colder temps.
The self heating feature was introduced with the enterprise version of the mavic, was this feature added to the pro and zoom models with a firmer update?

Just wanted to report that I flew my M2P in -7.5 C for two hours without any problems today. I wanted to grab some crisp and frosty images before we get heaps of snow. I kept my batteries warm in the car, and swapped them out when they where down to around 20% (= around 22 minutes of flight time on each battery). Good fingerless gloves are a must though.

Cheers,
Eivind

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S