DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best 3 manouvres for videoing a wedding

How About Just A Low Blood Pressure Candid Video When Entering The Church, And When Exiting. I Would Use A Zoom Mavic Set It To Where You Can Go 24mm To 96MM In Settings, So You Can Be Far Away And Still Get A Great Video , Without Them Being Distracted By Prop Noise. Just Let Everyone Have Fun, Do Their Thing, You Can Edit Out What You Dont Like Later, It Will Be Great ! God Bless...

you won’t replace any standard camera shots with the drone... rather use it as sort of a novelty accent; a quirky addition to the normal, separately.

Last summer I filmed a wedding, but I knew I had to keep the drone far out of sight as I didn’t want it to be a distraction... and naturally, of course, I didn’t want to fly over any people.

It was up in the mountains... open Class G space... I keep the M2P above 150ft and I filmed the outdoor wedding reception from an angled distance... I got lots of shots of the scenery, the setting, the buildings etc...

I launched from another part of the property out of sight of the guests, and only flew the perimeter of the property (which was uninhabited forest), never over anyone directly. ...sort of a ‘panoramic’ approach.

I did a couple of hyperlapses which they loved... one was of the people milling around, dancing etc at the reception (from an angled distance, not overhead) and one of clouds rolling through the nearby mountain valley at dawn. I did a chunk of the filming of the property in the early morning, before anyone had arrived.

No one knew it was up there... even when I was in the reception itself with the controller.

The couple and the venue too loved it... it was a fun addition to the usual type of wedding video. It was the drone video they sent around to friends days after the wedding.

The drone footage is going to be more of a "B" roll type footage. Used for the video intro, getting the venue down before guest arrive., and maybe some pull back shots of B/G, and Wedding Party after the wedding maybe.
The best thing to get is a good handheld gimbal/camera setup, most of the footage would come from that, with the UAV footage as "B Roll", and with stills stragically placed in the "right spots" of said video...

Hey, maybe laws are different in Canada, but here, you are allowed to fly over people as long as they’re part of your group, so if flying at a wedding, you can fly over everyone that is part of the wedding party or that you have been asked to film. And is a knowing participant.

This falls right in with a recent experience my wife and I had. We shot an outdoor wedding and I used my Mavic pro prior to the wedding to "set the stage" in the video; that is, give the viewer an insight of the venue, the outdoor setup and the scenery around the venue. I mentioned that, of course I wouldn't run the drone during the ceremony.

However, in accordance with the phrase "What were you thinking?", they (bride and groom) asked a friend to shoot it with his drone. And, to his credit, he was careful about overflying people and actually produced some pretty good shots. My wife and I used our Canon video cameras during the ceremony as we always do.

Unfortunately, the couple elected not to use a sound system so since we operated a fair distance from the couple, it would have been a challenge to capture good audio even if everything went perfectly.

The drone guy was operating sometimes as low as 15-20 feet just outside the group. So when we reviewed our video to start the editing process.... you guessed it; you could hear very little of the ceremony over the constant whine of the Phantom. They are not going to be happy with losing almost all the verbal interaction of the wedding.

To reinforce what one poster said earlier (I believe it was BigA107), don't even think about flying a drone during a wedding ceremony! You could see people looking up with anger in their faces. They certainly have their place, but not during the ceremony. And, of course, flying one during any kind of inside wedding would be totally insane.

The only good thing about that experience; Phantom batteries only last for about half of that ceremony.

I hesitate to criticize the drone operator. After all, he was asked by the couple to do this, and he was careful and legal during his flight. However, I would have clearly explained to them that you need to hear the drone, consider the disruption of the ceremony and think again. If necessary, think again after that.

Reactions: Mossiback
I agree with you, the drone is distracting. I use to organize weddings but I'm a wedding photographer as well. I don't use the drone at the wedding. I have a Canon and I take perfect pictures only with the camera and the clients are satisfied. To be honest, there is no need for a drone at the wedding, it is used for bigger events such as concerts or stuff like that. At the wedding better to spend money on a good sound system or lighting effects. I used to work with truesoundhire.co.uk, they have all the equipment is needed for a wedding. Anyway, everyone is free to decide how to organize the wedding and what to spend money on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25