DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best 3 manouvres for videoing a wedding

Great point about the ability to manipulate the camera on a pole, independent of the drone position. Even better than hand held gimbal, especially with the Mavic 2 zoom. I have a light gardening pole that gives 3 meters of length, plus a lume cube to light properly.
I am thinking of dive bombing the party if it starts getting boring, but otherwise, probably best used with engines off.

Is the Rocket Quickshot function a violation?

If your aircraft flies over ANY part of a person then YES it violates the FAA's ~107.39.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi all, a friend has asked me to video her wedding with my drones this Saturday. Unfortunately,i don't know what I'm doing. I have a few years flying, with about 1000 hours logged, and have the Mavic pro, zoom, even the tello. Also, the bebop 2 power, as well as the spark.
They all have some auto shots, but i would be grateful if the more serious minded and skillful pilots could suggest what their 3 best video, or photo, manouvres are, so i can appear to have some clue of what to do. Thanks
Recommend limiting the fleet.

Reactions: Bebopperoo
I just find it odd they would put in a function that clearly violates the rules.
It's designed IMHO to fly over YOUR head not over the heads of others. The manufacturer doesn't know how YOU intend to use it.

Reactions: Thomas B
A drone wedding video Google search will give you all sorts of examples and advice. The video examples are probably what the bride is expecting so unless you are experienced in video and audio editing it would be best to just tell her so and back away. If you do go for it, my advice would be:
  • Look at videos to see how the pros do it
  • Arrive early and get shots of the venue
  • Assuming they have hired a photographer, coordinate with them
  • Stay as far away from people as you can and use the camera to zoom in as much as you can
A buzzing drone will distract the guests from the bride and the ceremony and will expose you to liability if something goes wrong. Since you have no experience and no time to practice it is probably best to leave the drones at home and enjoy your friends wedding.

Hi all, a friend has asked me to video her wedding with my drones this Saturday. Unfortunately,i don't know what I'm doing. I have a few years flying, with about 1000 hours logged, and have the Mavic pro, zoom, even the tello. Also, the bebop 2 power, as well as the spark.
They all have some auto shots, but i would be grateful if the more serious minded and skillful pilots could suggest what their 3 best video, or photo, manouvres are, so i can appear to have some clue of what to do. Thanks

Since this thread has pretty well covered the Rules pertaining to this sort of flight I would take a minute to give my opinion regarding the original question. I do a bit of video work and have shot a couple weddings in the past but they're not really what I like to do but; if I were tasked to do one again, I would approach it like any other event where people are involved. If the subject (or subjects) are people, I would automatically know there are going to be close shots where a drone of any type is impractical. If I needed to get a shot close in from slightly above, a crane would be the right tool so; right off the bat you would have two types of shots that are specifically not from a UAV.

The only shots I would consider using a drone at a wedding would fall into the B-roll category, and are essentially establishing shots of the venue or grounds, church, what have you. These could all be done within the rules framework.

A well done video draws you in and takes you through it without the viewer thinking about what tools were used to get the shot. Also keep in mind that sometimes people who are not photographers or videographers do not fully grasp what is involved in getting a certain shot. When dealing with clients don't be afraid to tell them when and why, something isn't practical

This is how i use drone most of the time for weddings.

Very different style from U.S. since we don't have speeches.

Nice vid, i think I'll just composite my friends faces and use it.
Was the drone directly above them at about 3:18? If so, nice shot. Holding the veil out stretched like the groom did gives a great opportunity to do some extreme fpv flying, using the bride and groom as obstacles.
Appreciate all the input. There is actually a great deal of wisdom that has been given too, thanks.

Absolutely and 100% WRONG and a direct violation of ~107.39

People can not CONSENT to you breaking a federal regulation. They can sign papers, make promises, pinky swears and everything else but only the FAA can "Waiver" the restriction of Flights Over People (~107.39)

Please don't spread this bad information around! Someone might mistakenly believe it and unknowingly get into hot water over it.

^^ this is the truth.

With that said the regulations state that you have to be directly above a person to be in violation, from what I've discovered.

You could have a bridal party circle around the drone (maybe each person 5 feet from it) and send the drone up. That would be a cool shot to get them all in a circle under the drone.

A drone wedding video Google search will give you all sorts of examples and advice. The video examples are probably what the bride is expecting so unless you are experienced in video and audio editing it would be best to just tell her so and back away. If you do go for it, my advice would be:
  • Look at videos to see how the pros do it
  • Arrive early and get shots of the venue
  • Assuming they have hired a photographer, coordinate with them
  • Stay as far away from people as you can and use the camera to zoom in as much as you can
A buzzing drone will distract the guests from the bride and the ceremony and will expose you to liability if something goes wrong. Since you have no experience and no time to practice it is probably best to leave the drones at home and enjoy your friends wedding.

All of this ^^^

Wedding photographer of 10 years here with 150+ weddings under my belt. I always cringe hard whenever a videographer brings a drone.

Talking to the photographer and coordinating with them will go a LONG way to not making the photographer hate you forever and blacklist you.

So let me tell you a story. We do these things called first looks where the bride sees either the groom or her father for the first time in her dress before the ceremony. It's meant to be an intimate moment. Even as a photographer I kinda feel bad doing them and taking the photos, and try to be as unobtrusive as possible, shooting from far away with a 200mm lens.

So anyway, a friend of mine was the actual videographer and brought his Inspire. Right in the middle of the first look he powers on the motors like 10 feet from the couple and starts flying it. All you hear is the loud buzzing. The bride and groom were more focused on the drone than on each other.

Needless to say it led to a very heavy worded chewing out and an eventful falling out of our friendship for quite some time.

Sometimes, as both photographers and videographers we need to understand that, while great photos and video are nice, the couple needs time together without a camera or drone in their face.

Another time a videographer brought a Mavic into a Catholic church and FLEW it from the second floor balcony over all the guests during the wedding. Most of the guests rather than being focused on the bride, groom, and preist were too busy pointing UP and murmuring through the whole thing. Not only did it it RUIN their wedding it ruined my shots of the guests, and lead to the priest deciding that no one was allowed up on the balcony ever again (not even us still photographers). I've since been to that church 4 times and am still not allowed up there, nor any photogapher for that matter. One dummy ruined it for everyone. When couples meet with me and ask who I recommend for a videographer, guess who I tell them to steer clear of?

Wow....got tired of reading the same thing over and over. Everything I did read is easily solved by flying the M2Z.

Wow....got tired of reading the same thing over and over. Everything I did read is easily solved by flying the M2Z.
So, what 3 manouvres would you do with the m2 zoom?, as i have one.
I was contemplating a hyperlapse of the bride walking down the aisle,
dolly zoom of the ring going on,
5x slow mo of the guests arriving.
Feel free to add, thanks

So, what 3 manouvres would you do with the m2 zoom?, as i have one.
I was contemplating a hyperlapse of the bride walking down the aisle,
dolly zoom of the ring going on,
5x slow mo of the guests arriving.
Feel free to add, thanks

Much of that can be done with a regular camera , but you can enhance it with the Drone.

Here is what I would do.

Do all your drone footage when no people our at the church.

First shot - do a fly thru from a distance right into the the church , have someone open the doors so you can fly into it.
Than I would hand walk it thru the Church to the Pew and make a slow turn very slow. Add Camera Shots of Audience and Wedding , First set up.

Second Shot - Do a fly out from the Church out to the Parking lot : Add Camera Shots of Limos and such.

Third Shot - Do a vertical flight up in front of the Church : Reverse the flight add Camera Shots of People coming out of the Church doors.

This will add some creative flow and allow you to keep everyone safe , and not distract from the Wedding itself.

Everything else I would do with a Nice Camera :
If you dont have one pick up the Lumix G9 beautiful slow motion 180 frames.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm.

Coal

Example of drone shots that work. Heritage Wedding Barn Videos - Drone Scapes

Flying during ceremony is very disruptive (Noise). So, make sure it is absolutely requested by wedding couple.
Never, would you ever want to fly directly over the wedding party and/or attendees. It is a horrible shot and in violation Part 107 rules

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard