DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best advice for starting a business in photography/aerial photography

BSauce955

Inspire or be Inspired
Approved Vendor
Reactions
I know there are a few threads about starting a drone business and the answers there vary but I thought it would be convenient to get everyone's "two cents" in one place so any advice on this topic, post it here. Also, it's sort of my excuse to reap in this knowledge because I've wanted to start a drone business for about 3 years now. I've just become of age, and am studying (still) for the Part 107 test. Anyway, enough about me, post away!

Reactions: MavicMustang
I know there are a few threads about starting a drone business and the answers there vary but I thought it would be convenient to get everyone's "two cents" in one place so any advice on this topic, post it here. Also, it's sort of my excuse to reap in this knowledge because I've wanted to start a drone business for about 3 years now. I've just become of age, and am studying (still) for the Part 107 test. Anyway, enough about me, post away!

I would advise anyone in your shoes to keep in mind: For the most part, no one is going to pay you to fly a drone - they are going to pay you for the pictures or video you capture - you will be a photographer or videographer. In light of that, consider opening up your vision to encompass more than just a drone. A drone is but one tool that holds or places a camera.

If I had a son or daughter that wanted to get into aerial imaging, I would strongly suggest taking a course in photography first. The same principle's, methods and skill sets that apply to photography and video on the ground, also apply to drones, so don't limit yourself to only learning from what you find online in a drone forum. ;)

• A) Get really good at something more than "just flying a drone". We are to the point where a monkey can be trained to fly the drone so you need to stand out from the crowd or you'll fail miserably. Niches make Riches. . .
  • B) Save and start the business without any debt (real debt or hidden debt with a family member).
  • C) Decide how to differentiate yourself from all the MANY other Drone Operators completely saturating the market.
  • D) Become an accomplished PHOTOGRAPHER before you do anything else.
  • E) After you become an exceptional photographer learn the Ins & Outs of starting and operating a business long term. Think a couple of years out not just next week.
  • F) Take the time to build a fully detailed Business Plan before you spend one penny on the business because it could change your direction.
  • G) Join the Commercial Drone Pilots forum and spend some time reading some of those threads as they are sometimes more informed in regards to business and experience.

Become a really good photographer.

Build a spectacular portfolio, and develop a client base that will highly recommend you.

The field is very competitive. Everybody has and uses smartphones and drones. Clients who are buying imagery for significant $ will have many choices. They will select a provider by looking at previous work and evaluating its merits in terms of their needs. They will also want to check with previous clients to see what kind of track record you have.

Photography is a tough business because there are so many people just willing to do it for nothing. Clients are rarely educated in good photography until you get into the big league, smaller companies got rid of their expertise otherwise known as overhead a long time ago. As said above, if this is what you want to do, first become a really skilled photographer in a particular field, specialize with eyes open for opportunities. Be prepared to work really hard, it’s not a 9 to 5 job. And remember that running a business is about establishing a network, it’s about having people trust u, it will become your family.

To add to what @Ralph thompson said, being a business owner takes a LOT of time especially for the first few years.

Here is a great quote from Lori Greiner on 'Shark Tank.'"Shark Tank"/ABC:

"Entrepreneurs are the only people who will work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"

The caveat is you have to also find a way to balance personal life/health with business life and sometimes it's VERY difficult to do. Especially on the start up of the business you're spend a LOT of time (day/night & weekends usually) doing various things to build and tweak your business. It's a GRIND at first but after a few years you should see a huge improvement in time allotment but even several years in we still spend a lot of time doing "business stuff" but it's a lot less than initially.

Many people have come on the forum asking the same question. If you are looking to make money with a drone and photography to me real estate is the last place to look. Construction, and agriculture both pay fairly well and you don't need to be a professional photographer, however you should have video and photography basics down.
Also power companies are beginning to hire drone pilots. Take a course on inspecting cell towers I understand there is some good money in that.

The right time to do this was 10 years ago when it wasn't common, it often required building your own rigs, as such there was little offer and competition and when you met a client it was "wow that's awesome, always dreamt about getting such images and now it's possible" and they were all happy. Now it's "there are 20 other guys doing it in the region, some of them are cheaper, why should I work with you" and you have to try to explain your photography skills make a difference to someone who doesn't understand or even care... not fun anymore, at least not for me.

For myself, I started with a Business plan and worked that into getting the Tools for the Business. I developed the Mission statement and worked everything from that point out. Took me about 6 months to work the business into an LLC. After the plan, I purchased both the Mavic 2 Pro and a Mini 2, worked my Photography equipment into a useable package, and went with a website, business cards, and now am in the process for the Weather to cooperate so I can build a usable portfolio. Networking is another suggestion, do you have anyone extended family or otherwise in business, you can work together promoting yours and their Business at the same time? check on Local Real Estate Developers, City Engineers, or local Business Developers for Opportunities to become involved in promoting your community (they love that). Those are just a couple of ideas from me and I'm just learning. I plan on going in this direction after I retire from a full-time job of 16 years this next spring. Best of luck to anyone and everyone who wants to make this work. I see news Channels every day using Drone Footage and Movie shots that I say to myself, I can do that!

For myself, I started with a Business plan and worked that into getting the Tools for the Business. I developed the Mission statement and worked everything from that point out. Took me about 6 months to work the business into an LLC. After the plan, I purchased both the Mavic 2 Pro and a Mini 2, worked my Photography equipment into a useable package, and went with a website, business cards, and now am in the process for the Weather to cooperate so I can build a usable portfolio. Networking is another suggestion, do you have anyone extended family or otherwise in business, you can work together promoting yours and their Business at the same time? check on Local Real Estate Developers, City Engineers, or local Business Developers for Opportunities to become involved in promoting your community (they love that). Those are just a couple of ideas from me and I'm just learning. I plan on going in this direction after I retire from a full-time job of 16 years this next spring. Best of luck to anyone and everyone who wants to make this work. I see news Channels every day using Drone Footage and Movie shots that I say to myself, I can do that!

Very well stated and that's a great path for success in terms of building your business.

As someone who has previously shot for TV stations I can say this... they now use In-House people for UAS Operations rather than hire it out. It makes a lot more sense to train up existing employees to ALSO do UAS shots rather than hire a Drone Specific talent who isn't cross-over able.

A Side note - You need to be more than "just" a Drone Operator unless you have some VERY sought after Drone skills. For instance most Realtors/Developers want to make one phone call and get Drone, Ground/Ext, Interior shots along with Floor Plans, Video, and Virtual Tours. Be able to offer a FULL LINE of SERVICES so you make more $$ on a single trip.

As someone who has previously shot for TV stations I can say this... they now use In-House people for UAS Operations rather than hire it out. It makes a lot more sense to train up existing employees to ALSO do UAS shots rather than hire a Drone Specific talent who isn't cross-over able.
Yup same here, we used to do a lot of shoots for TV but at some point they're always going to realise that when they're hiring you so often it makes sense to have their own crew, plus in a company of this size there's always going to be one guy who's interested in drones and will push for it so he can be the one playing with some on company time.

It's how it was for us, we knew one of the guys was annoyed everytime we were on a job cause he had a drone himself and wanted to be the one doing it. Took a couple of years for him to get through but he did. We still got called a few more times when they crashed it and needed someone to save their prod until they understood they needed multiple machines and the guy likely got more experience but it eventually stopped.

We kinda moved on a couple of years ago since it became more about the annoyances of running a business than the fun doing the jobs.

A Side note - You need to be more than "just" a Drone Operator unless you have some VERY sought after Drone skills. For instance most Realtors/Developers want to make one phone call and get Drone, Ground/Ext, Interior shots along with Floor Plans, Video, and Virtual Tours. Be able to offer a FULL LINE of SERVICES so you make more $$ on a single trip.

This is exactly right. As an example, my wife is a photographer (full time) that does a fair bit of real estate work along with events such as wedding and family portraits and so forth. She's been providing the Aerial image capability for many years which is where I come in, to support her business.

It is important to note that it is the ground photos that are the priority, while the aerial shots are the exception. In other words: she will be contacted to get her typical shots from the ground and within the home, and on some of those occasions, they will ask for the aerial to be added. Rare is it that she is called for 'drone only' shots, there has only been one (1) occasion in six years where she was called for ONLY aerial shots.

Granted this is the direction she has taken her business because she likes to do weddings and other events but; for visual reference how all this stacks up, I made a pie chart that will give you an idea as to why it is important that you 'bulk up' on your capabilities beyond just drone imaging if you want to go into business yourself. As noted above, real estate photography is very tough, with razor thin margins, and having all the other capability (like making sweet pie graphs) 😆 is so important.

Photgraphy.jpg

Last edited:
Take the Pilot Institute "Drone Business Made Easy" course. I just started it today, having already completed the 107 course, and the Maneuvers course, both of which were excellent.

The Business course is focused on drones, but it covers all the things you need to do to start ANY business. Market research, business plan development, the whole enchilada. Once I finish the course, I'll start doing all of the step-by-step items.

The 3-course "Business Bundle" is exactly what I needed!

:)
:)

TCS

@Ty Pilot Excellent points. I will have to say, I get several calls a month for "Drone Only" but that's because we've been labeled as Subject Matter Experts in terms of Drone Photography and some of the local "Full Package" photographers can't/won't shoot some of the more difficult shots or they don't want Drone Only so they refer us. Due to this we get some very "technically difficult" shots that the others just refuse to do. If I'm not soaked with sweat after those shots I've not done my job LOL!

I think one of your comments really hits home "It is important to note that it is the ground photos that are the priority, while the aerial shots are the exception."

While most of us are "partial" to Aerial Shots and they are attention getting they get boring very quickly. A photography package of Aerial Only isn't going to WOW the clients at all. Ironically the best picture is usually an Aerial it's very hard for Aerial to stand on it's on for a whole package.

I enjoyed your graphic and I need to sit down and do one for our company just for fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder