DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best app or website for extended weather forecasts for planning sUAS missions?

Earthman

Reactions
What app or website do you use for planning sUAS missions 7 to 14 days out? I like to know the forecast of the following: wind speed, temperature, the chance of rain, sunny or cloudy, and barometric pressure trend. I currently use The Weather Underground website (link), which provides a nice graphic like the following:

WU.jpg

Does anyone use anything similar or better than this as an app?

What app or website do you use for planning sUAS missions 7 to 14 days out? I like to know the forecast of the following: wind speed, temperature, the chance of rain, sunny or cloudy, and barometric pressure trend. I currently use The Weather Underground website (link), which provides a nice graphic like the following:
View attachment 74618

Does anyone use anything similar or better than this as an app?

IOS app:
Being that we fly in the Rain every day, I rely on the app Dark Sky shows the forecast but also let me know when it going to rain right up to the minute :oops:

That being said it wont tell us when its going to downpour so no matter what that is always a surprise.

For those of us that fly in the Extreme weather this app offer the down to the minute alert.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in and out of the Storm.

Attachments

• IMG_6758.PNG
    IMG_6758.PNG
    193.2 KB · Views: 6
What app or website do you use for planning sUAS missions 7 to 14 days out?
In addition to flying drones, I also write weather software. That has exposed me to a lot of different weather data sources. I've never seen any forecasts that were accurate 7 to 14 days out (especially for rain data).

Reactions: MavicFlyer
In addition to flying drones, I also write weather software. That has exposed me to a lot of different weather data sources. I've never seen any forecasts that were accurate 7 to 14 days out (especially for rain data).
IOS app:
Being that we fly in the Rain every day, I rely on the app Dark Sky shows the forecast but also let me know when it going to rain right up to the minute :oops:

That being said it wont tell us when its going to downpour so no matter what that is always a surprise.

View attachment 74627View attachment 74628View attachment 74629

For those of us that fly in the Extreme weather this app offer the down to the minute alert.

Phantomrain.org
View attachment 74630
IOS app:

View attachment 74627View attachment 74628View attachment 74629

Phantomrain.org
View attachment 74630
IOS app:

Thanks for the info. Dark Sky looks interesting. I’ll give it a try!

I agree about the accuracy of weather forecasts 14-days out, but they are better than nothing, and no one has done better, so I don’t bash the weather folks. Also, shorter-term forecasts seem reasonably reliable.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Dark Sky is a great app if you're interested in seeing when it's going to rain within the next hour. I use it on my iPhone. You can access the same data for free here on their website:

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
One "MUST HAVE" weather app, IMO, is Windy for iOS - tons of great info all in one place, and it's FREE (though they ask for donations) - I've seen paid apps that don't give you so much weather data.
You can also find them at www.windy.com. I believe there's an Android app, too.

Last edited:
Been using dark sky for about a year. For the most part it’s excellent and typically forecasts accurate to within 15 minutes.

One "MUST HAVE" weather app, IMO, is Windy for iOS - tons of great info all in one place, and it's FREE (though they ask for donations) - I've seen paid apps that don't give you so much weather data.
You can also find them at www.windy.com. I believe there's an Android app, too.
Yes, I agree about Windy. Great app; however, it appears to report winds based on satellite and pressure gradient data, which is fine. But, I’ve noticed that it doesn’t seem to take into account local changes in wind speed due to solar heating; i.e., the winds are less intense than Windy (and maybe other apps) reports before the ground heats up like just before/just after sunup, near and just before sundown; I.e., during twilight. If Windy is forecasting high winds, I find that I may still be able to fly because the winds are less than forecast. Still, Windy is a go too app for me.

Last edited:
+2 on uavforecast.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast