DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Legal Flying Areas near (or in) NYC

JordieShapiro

Reactions
Hey guys,
Just curious if any NY'ers have preferences for legal sites for flying within 50 miles or so of NYC. I will be going out with a friend who needs to log practice hours so he can fly for his company. So, we need to find places that are actually official, not just super safe. His supervisors will review his flight data.

I know there's lists out there of where to fly. I'm just curious of your favorites. Thanks all!

I ended up going to Flushing Meadows park, the site of the World's Fair. I thought that would make for some interesting scenery. It sort of did, but to fly legally you are confined to a fenced in pen about the size of a city block. Good place to meet other flyers, but also anxiety producing as multiple drones cross the sky in close quarters.

I don't highly recommend, and I don't plan to return

I ended up going to Flushing Meadows park, the site of the World's Fair. I thought that would make for some interesting scenery. It sort of did, but to fly legally you are confined to a fenced in pen about the size of a city block. Good place to meet other flyers, but also anxiety producing as multiple drones cross the sky in close quarters.

Isn't Flushing Meadow Park within five miles of that little airstrip called
Hey guys,
Just curious if any NY'ers have preferences for legal sites for flying within 50 miles or so of NYC. I will be going out with a friend who needs to log practice hours so he can fly for his company. So, we need to find places that are actually official, not just super safe. His supervisors will review his flight data.

I know there's lists out there of where to fly. I'm just curious of your favorites. Thanks all!
If he's going to fly for his company sounds like he'll need to be licensed as a commercial operator. Isn't that small airstrip nearby, oh, LaGuardia within 5 miles of Flushing Meadow Park? If so, and if his supervisor pays any attention to his log he might notice the location and know the FAA regs.

§1-04 Prohibited Uses : NYC Parks

e. Aviation No person shall voluntarily bring, land or cause to alight within or upon any park, any airplane, balloon, parachute, hang glider, or other aerial device, except that certain areas may be designated appropriate landing places for medical evacuation helicopters. For the purposes of this subdivision (e), voluntarily shall mean anything other than a forced landing caused by mechanical or structural failure of the aircraft or other aerial device.

The best parks to fly your drone in NYC (without getting a ticket) | New York Post

I fly at my club...
Welcome to flySRW.com, home of the Seaview Rotary Wings!

Actually went over to the RC Flying Area in Flushing Meadows and found a very prominent sign at the entrance that stated "only control line model aircraft, no free flight model aircraft, balloons or kites allowed." Oh well.

Go back to #5 I posted...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54