DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Mavic Air 2 accessories?

jkollitz

Reactions
Looking to see what the best accessories were for the Mavic Air 2, just got it today and have already been looking at prop guards, Payload delivery systems, and custom landing gear. Also wondering if they are any great 3rd party propellors to reduce noise and maybe some that improve efficiency?

I purchased prop guards but only use them when flying along the river, lakes, or buildings that may have birds present. Sometimes they can be aggressive and if they nick a prop, gravity takes over. I use them to protect my bird and the other ones flying around me.

Since I fly around the water at times, I did purchase a wet suit and a rescue jacket from one of the sites vendors.

All Products | Phantom Rain 2/2

The one accessory I use every time I fly are the strobe lights, day or night.

They help me acquire the location and orientation of the aircraft in the sky or below the tree line when the aircraft blends into the background.

20221229_052055.jpg

The strobes are Firehouse ARC V's.

The mounts are also from one of the vendors of this site.

I usually hand launch / land my MA2 and didn't purchase landing gear but I do have a pad that I use as a clean area to prepare for a flight.

I also purchased a case to safely stow the stuff when not in use.

Have fun shopping. :)

Looking to see what the best accessories were for the Mavic Air 2, just got it today and have already been looking at prop guards, Payload delivery systems, and custom landing gear. Also wondering if they are any great 3rd party propellors to reduce noise and maybe some that improve efficiency?

I have an A3, used to have an A2 which I loved but I crashed it.

Things I bought that I used:
Strobe lights - Firehouse are great but Vifly are cheap and almost as good.
Mount to use an iPad instead of my phone - and extension cable.
Small backpack to carry everything in.
Range extending Yagi antennas. YMMV but I got a nice, modest increase in range and stability.

Things I bought but almost never used:
Prop guards
Payload airdrop system
Landing gear
Spotlight mounting systems - tried several of these
Extra camera mounts

Other:
I don't recommend the aftermarket props. They barely reduce noise, mostly just shifting the tone and can be brittle.
The landing pads can be a nice accessory.
The wetsuits sold by phantomrain.org (a member here) are very cool if you ever want to fly in the pouring rain.

Depending on your Weather, have to recommend the Air 2 Wet Suit to negotiate the Rainy days.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Last edited:
If you are a casual user, who doesn’t have a social media channel or job that requires drone aerial photography then:

Would you upgrade your Mavic Air 2 to the Mavic Air 3 ?

I do have the funds but don’t really see the need. It’s like throwing money into something with limited benefit, except for the remote ID.

Many thanks your your replies.

If you are a casual user, who doesn’t have a social media channel or job that requires drone aerial photography then:

I do have the funds but don’t really see the need. It’s like throwing money into something with limited benefit, except for the remote ID.

So, the Mavic Air 2 actually has RID, once the RC and the drone are both updated, when you go into the app while all connected, you should be able to tap on the top of the screen where the flight mode/sensor status indicator is and it should show your RID number. I just got mine all set up and registered

I have an A3, used to have an A2 which I loved but I crashed it.

Things I bought that I used:
Strobe lights - Firehouse are great but Vifly are cheap and almost as good.
Mount to use an iPad instead of my phone - and extension cable.
Small backpack to carry everything in.
Range extending Yagi antennas. YMMV but I got a nice, modest increase in range and stability.

Things I bought but almost never used:
Prop guards
Payload airdrop system
Landing gear
Spotlight mounting systems - tried several of these
Extra camera mounts

Other:
I don't recommend the aftermarket props. They barely reduce noise, mostly just shifting the tone and can be brittle.
The landing pads can be a nice accessory.
The wetsuits sold by phantomrain.org (a member here) are very cool if you ever want to fly in the pouring rain.
Do the range extending antenna actually work? I found a mixed bag of reviews if they worked out not. And the payload drop system would just be a kind of for fun thing. I really do need to get a tablet to use with this instead of my phone, would probably be able to see a lot better haha

Reactions: marnat3
Thank you for the links! I'll definitely have to look into that stuff, luckily the guy I bought it from had a nanuk waterproof hard case for it all so covered there. I mainly just wanted prop guards as a nice safety net if I bump into something since I seem to fly in a lot of tight spaces! And since the air 2 doesn't have sensors on the top, I'm afraid I'll fly up into something and I found some prop guards that curve up over the top of the props

Reactions: MA2 317

Here's a screenshot from within the app on the Mavic Air 2 RC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224-214231~2.png
    Screenshot_20240224-214231~2.png
    497.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: Panagiotis Kassavos
Do the range extending antenna actually work? I found a mixed bag of reviews if they worked out not. And the payload drop system would just be a kind of for fun thing. I really do need to get a tablet to use with this instead of my phone, would probably be able to see a lot better haha

For the antenna, here's the post I made about it when I had an MA2:

I've tested this a few times and get similar results each time. My test was to just fly in a particular direction until first signal loss without, then with each extender, and without again. I replicated the path as closely as possible using the app map. I tested with and without limiting the controller to the band being tested.

In each case, it added about 500 feet, from ~2800 to ~3300. Not much, but significant and in line with the 10% - 15% results from other Amazon reviewers. I fly with the 5.8Ghz attached since the 2.4 is a very tight fit with my phone.

I use these . Best landing gears I ever purchased. They folds up with no issues and got orange props from MasterAirScrew

Attachments

• IMG_4633.jpeg
    IMG_4633.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4634.jpeg
    IMG_4634.jpeg
    700.1 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: Dbez1
The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is a UV filter for the camera PGYTECH. It's not so much a "filter" as it is protection from scratching the (actual) camera lens...which wouldn't be good.
The other thing was the Yagi-Uda extender antenna from STARTRC (which has been mentioned).

I use these . Best landing gears I ever purchased. They folds up with no issues and got orange props from MasterAirScrew
I would like to add to the above a tablet holder and aftermarket gimbal cover (as shown below for my Air2S). The ribbon is there so I don’t forget to remove it before turning on the drone. I use the same leg extensions as antonebear and MAS props ( but that’s a contentious topic). The difference in pitch (tone) has been enough to convince me. I notice no discernible difference in efficiency.image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: marnat3
Reactions: Dbez1
I would like to add to the above a tablet holder and aftermarket gimbal cover (as shown below for my Air2S). The ribbon is there so I don’t forget to remove it before turning on the drone. I use the same leg extensions as antonebear and MAS props ( but that’s a contentious topic). The difference in pitch (tone) has been enough to convince me. I notice no discernible difference in efficiency.View attachment 172939
I've got the fly more bundle so it has the little snap on gimbal cover, and i was looking at the MAS props, I know they claim an efficiency percentage but never knew how true it was, bur quieter would be cool

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned is a UV filter for the camera PGYTECH. It's not so much a "filter" as it is protection from scratching the (actual) camera lens...which wouldn't be good.
The other thing was the Yagi-Uda extender antenna from STARTRC (which has been mentioned).
I've got Variable ND filters from Moment but seem to make the video quality way too dark on 4k 60fps, might look into just a basic UV filter. But for sure I am gonna look into the antenna

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks