DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

best Mavic for roof and HVAC inspections

earthflute

Reactions
Hi
I am a building services engineer, carrying out HVAC and roof hardware inspections on commercial properties. There is a requirement to take photos of areas on roofs, which are unsafe to physically access. Drone time!

Any drone needs to be robust to fly stably in medium winds, sometimes gusting especially around the equipment on a high roof. I think all Mavics would fit this requirement?

However, THE primary requirement is a great telephoto and resolution ability.
We record defects up close, similar to tower inspections, so need lots of detail resolution to zoom into the photo. We also need to record nameplates on equipment. Currently, where I can see defects and nameplates from afar, I use a 16mp camera with 24x optical zoom lens which works really well.

A great telephoto capability on a drone would de-risk jobs substantially, allowing many sites to be flown, that are just too sensitive to fly now. It would allow me to standoff an area as much as possible, reducing the possibility of crashing into expensive HVAC units. The JSA risk rating would then drop either into yellow-medium, or better, green-safe!

Which Mavic would suit these requirements? Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 3 Pro, other..?

However, THE primary requirement is a great telephoto and resolution ability.
Which Mavic would suit these requirements? Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 3 Pro, other..?
The only consumer drone that fits your needs is the Mavic 3 pro.
The old Mavic 2 Zoom has a small sensor and limited zoom range - it doesn't even get into the telephoto range.

Here are some examples of the range covered by the three cameras of the Mavic 3 pro.

Reactions: CadrePilot
Yeah, the Mavic 3 Pro.

As for the Mavic 2 line, the Pro actually provides greater detail than the Zoom, in the research I did before buying the Pro.

I've since upgraded to the 3 Pro and love it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much demand for insurance work with it.

The only consumer drone that fits your needs is the Mavic 3 pro.
The old Mavic 2 Zoom has a small sensor and limited zoom range - it doesn't even get into the telephoto range.

Here are some examples of the range covered by the three cameras of the Mavic 3 pro.
Great zoom and still with good resolution at the distance required. Mavic 3 Pro it is then!

Oh, and the Mavic 3 Pro flight time is a really nice upgrade.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deluxone