DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 vs Pro 2 for photo inspection of a house roof?

zimm

Reactions
I'm about to get my FAR Part 107 license and get a Mavic for inspecting house roofs that are too steep or dangerous to walk on. What's the best model for this? Is the air 3 good enough? Or should I get the heavier pro?

I think I want the telephoto lens for getting up close pics of gutters, shingles, and chimneys. I'm wondering if the Air will be good enough or will the larger pro handle wind better? The pro is over double the cost.

My only personal experience flying is the tiny DJI Ryze Tello which is way too small to fly over roofs, or even outside on most days.

The Air 3 is more than enough drone , and you will make good use out of the Extra battery time. I would also consider getting the Rescue Jacket for landing on the roof as well as the Wet Suit for Negotiating the Rain.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly Your Air 3 in the Rain and Land on the Roof Tops.

Reactions: MotoSavy and zimm
In my view the Air 3 with its 70mm equiv. tele lens is perfect for these jobs.
You rarely, if ever, need the longer tele lens on the Mavic 3 Pro, and the quality of the small sensor and mediocre lens is not good enough. You probably will get better results by cropping an image shot with the 70mm.

I'm about to get my FAR Part 107 license and get a Mavic for inspecting house roofs that are too steep or dangerous to walk on. What's the best model for this? Is the air 3 good enough? Or should I get the heavier pro?

I think I want the telephoto lens for getting up close pics of gutters, shingles, and chimneys. I'm wondering if the Air will be good enough or will the larger pro handle wind better? The pro is over double the cost.

My only personal experience flying is the tiny DJI Ryze Tello which is way too small to fly over roofs, or even outside on most days.
Try and get a Mavic 2 Zoom, there are some bargains to be had. Great camera and handles higher winds and steady as a rock.

Try and get a Mavic 2 Zoom, there are some bargains to be had. Great camera and handles higher winds and steady as a rock.
I don't agree with the term "great camera" on the Mavic 2 Zoom. Actually I think it is mediocre, and then I am kind.
The Air 3 is in a different league, and the longer focal length will also be a big advantage for roof inspection.

As long as the air is a "good size" that will work for me. The only reason I was thinking about the mini 4 pro was that it would be quieter, but I'd rather have the zoom and wind stability.

Reactions: CrystKen

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13