DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Night lights that meet FAA requirements

Firehouse ARC XL

X2....or the ARC II's.....White strobe at the tail.

I also use CREE for nav lights in the standard configuration. A CREE Red on Port (left) CREE Green to Starboard (right)

Standard Nav Lights.jpeg

Using the Standard Navigation Configuration makes it readily recognizable to the greatest audience and also aids in easily recognizing orientation. Get mounts for your lights made for your aircraft at: Aerial-Pixel

I have a set of: ARC II white, CREE Green and CREE Red. I bought mounts for my Typhoons, M2P and MA1. 1 set of lights I can use on all of my aircraft.

If you're going to go with something as large as an ARC XL, then the TOPSUN strobes are another one to consider. They are brighter than ARC lights, so they should exceed most people's needs.

1592562184270.png

Here's what they look like on a Mavic 2 (so you can compare the size):

1592562390377.png

1592562464891.png

Info.

X2....or the ARC II's.....White strobe at the tail.

I also use CREE for nav lights in the standard configuration. A CREE Red on Port (left) CREE Green to Starboard (right)

View attachment 105187

Using the Standard Navigation Configuration makes it readily recognizable to the greatest audience and also aids in easily recognizing orientation. Get mounts for your lights made for your aircraft at: Aerial-Pixel

I have a set of: ARC II white, CREE Green and CREE Red. I bought mounts for my Typhoons, M2P and MA1. 1 set of lights I can use on all of my aircraft.
I like this one. Didnt know that there is standard for lights in uav. Il take note of thus in my drone

I like this one. Didnt know that there is standard for lights in uav. Il take note of thus in my drone

I don't think there is a "Standard sUAS" lighting setup.....I was referring to the "Standard Navigation Lighting" that is used for aviation and nautical. They're both the same universally recognized: Port Red, Starboard Green, Tail white. There are slight variations with additional strobes, landing lights, and such, but the basic 3 light setup is what the greatest majority of people recognize readily.

And it's easy to determine orientation:

Red on left followed by white: Moving right to left. 0 0. (black=white)
Green on right followed by white: moving left to right. 0 0
Green on left, white, red on right: coming at you. 0 0 0
Red on left, white, green on right: moving away from you. 0 0 0

This can vary by orientation, angle of view, etc....but that's the basic idea of it. Works best nautical, but with a little thought aviation comes through as well.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a "Standard sUAS" lighting setup.....I was referring to the "Standard Navigation Lighting" that is used for aviation and nautical. They're both the same universally recognized: Port Red, Starboard Green, Tail white. There are slight variations with additional strobes, landing lights, and such, but the basic 3 light setup is what the greatest majority of people recognize readily.

And it's easy to determine orientation:

Red on left followed by white: Moving right to left. 0 0. (black=white)
Green on right followed by white: moving left to right. 0 0
Green on left, white, red on right: coming at you. 0 0 0
Red on left, white, green on right: moving away from you. 0 0 0

This can vary by orientation, angle of view, etc....but that's the basic idea of it. Works best nautical, but with a little thought aviation comes through as well.
thanks for the info

If you're going to go with something as large as an ARC XL, then the TOPSUN strobes are another one to consider. They are brighter than ARC lights, so they should exceed most people's needs.

View attachment 105258

Here's what they look like on a Mavic 2 (so you can compare the size):

View attachment 105259
View attachment 105260
I like the idea of 5 LEDs in a strobe, but am a little leery of the ones where the "backbone" is the printed circuit board. I have a couple of ARC2 strobes, and I suspect that I may have pressed too hard with one of them when attaching to the bottom of my MA - only 2 of the 4 LEDs light up.

Do you think the ARC XL is too big for Mavic Air? One thing I like about it is that it's in a housing, and I'm assuming you don't have the situation where you're putting stress of the PCB, when attaching / removing - I use 3M Dual Lock low profile.

Do you think the ARC XL is too big for Mavic Air?
Probably. It's pretty large for even the Mavic Pro/2.

One thing I like about it is that it's in a housing, and I'm assuming you don't have the situation where you're putting stress of the PCB, when attaching / removing -
3D mounts (like these) won't put stress on the lights either.

Probably. It's pretty large for even the Mavic Pro/2.

3D mounts (like these) won't put stress on the lights either.
I think these kind of mounts are the best way to go, but I don't know of any out there for the new Firehouse V strobe...it's still early. My preference is for something that clips onto the MA body - like a U shape, and points the strobe down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54