DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best night shot settings for video in low light

jabster123

Reactions
Need a bit of advice on the best settings to shoot some video in a low light situation at night. Aswel if anyone could recommend any settings for a clear photo of a normal daylight photo as when I take a photo it seems like the quality is very low compared to video and even a but blurry. Thanks in advance for any help.

if anyone could recommend any settings for a clear photo of a normal daylight photo as when I take a photo it seems like the quality is very low compared to video and even a but blurry. Thanks in advance for any help.
Where are you getting your stills from?
Are you downloading them from the SD card?

Where are you getting your stills from?
Are you downloading them from the SD card?
To be honest I have only seen my photos which were downloaded straight to my phone. I have just got a high speed memory card and have not tried stills on thay but the video from the sd card looks a lot better!

Might be good to mention I only just got the drone and it's my first drone and only flew it now about 3-4 times

To be honest I have only seen my photos which were downloaded straight to my phone. I have just got a high speed memory card and have not tried stills on thay but the video from the sd card looks a lot better!
Unless you get the stills from the SD card, you are just looking at low-res cached versions of the stills, not the actual stills.

Reactions: Porky
Unless you get the stills from the SD card, you are just looking at low-res cached versions of the stills, not the actual stills.
Thanks for the help I will make sure to just get them off the sd card then

Might be good to mention I only just got the drone and it's my first drone and only flew it now about 3-4 times
To get good low-light video, the appropriate settings will depend on how much light is in your scene.
Try setting your camera to Aperture Priority and let the camera calculate an appropriate shutter speed.
If things are quite dark, setting the aperture to f2.8 is the way to go.
Keep the ISO value as low as you can to give an acceptable shutter speed.
If things are very dark, and you have to set a high ISO value, you will get more noise (graininess) than with lower ISO values.

Reactions: Porky
To get good low-light video, the appropriate settings will depend on how much light is in your scene.
Try setting your camera to Aperture Priority and let the camera calculate an appropriate shutter speed.
If things are quite dark, setting the aperture to f2.8 is the way to go.
Keep the ISO value as low as you can to give an acceptable shutter speed.
If things are very dark, and you have to set a high ISO value, you will get more noise (graininess) than with lower ISO values.
Really appreciate the advice mate gona use it tonight

If you are shooting video at night you basically work from the bottom up, raising ISO last, until you reach your desired exposure.

If you need to find things to get your shutter speed up to 1/60 or whatever you use, start by removing any ND filters and using the naked lens. Still need more light? Use maximum aperture (F2.8) if you are OK with the image quality you get from it. Still need more light? The only thing left to do is raise the ISO, but leave that as your last resort as that will degrade the image quality the most and reduce your available dynamic range.

I would suggest not using aperture priority, because then the drone has free reign over the shutter speed which you do not want assuming you want even/sharp footage. Shoot in full manual to keep everything under your control. Same thing happens if you use shutter priority - the drone gets free reign over the aperture and you probably don't want that either, though if you're shooting at night it will very likely always keep it at F2.8. If you want to use one of the "auto" modes at night, I would use shutter priority and let the drone pick the aperture, which will probably be F2.8 the whole time if it's dark.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
espinafre