DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best places to fly.

I have the same question and please share if you get any update on areas if any to fly legally .. and yes the above mentioned is correct since I believe you can fly over Lake Lanier..

This is from a Gainsville Times article dated in 2018. It basically says that we cannot not launch from Corp Property. (i.e., shoreline, etc.) Have to start from private property.

“Our position has been as long as you operate that drone responsibly from the private property, we will allow you to do that and not necessarily address it until it becomes a safety issue for the public or until you start harassing people with that drone,” Baggett said.

Baggett said the corps has received some complaints about drones on beaches, with some people feeling their privacy had been violated. Drones can also be distracting to boaters, Baggett said.

People who are on corps property cannot operate a drone without permission. Anyone who is standing, swimming or boating on the lake would also need to submit a request because they are on corps property, Baggett said.

Anyone found to be operating a drone on corps property without permission would be approached by a ranger and asked to stop. Depending on the situation, the operator could receive a verbal warning, a citation asking them to go to court or a fine, Baggett said.

Anyone with questions about the policy or application process can contact the corps’ local office at 770-945-9531.

Reactions: Sudevan
This is from a Gainsville Times article dated in 2018. It basically says that we cannot not launch from Corp Property. (i.e., shoreline, etc.) Have to start from private property.

“Our position has been as long as you operate that drone responsibly from the private property, we will allow you to do that and not necessarily address it until it becomes a safety issue for the public or until you start harassing people with that drone,” Baggett said.

Baggett said the corps has received some complaints about drones on beaches, with some people feeling their privacy had been violated. Drones can also be distracting to boaters, Baggett said.

People who are on corps property cannot operate a drone without permission. Anyone who is standing, swimming or boating on the lake would also need to submit a request because they are on corps property, Baggett said.

Anyone found to be operating a drone on corps property without permission would be approached by a ranger and asked to stop. Depending on the situation, the operator could receive a verbal warning, a citation asking them to go to court or a fine, Baggett said.

Anyone with questions about the policy or application process can contact the corps’ local office at 770-945-9531.
Appreciate your time and reply !!

I just got my first drone and I'm about 10 minutes from the lake. So we can only launch from someone's house and not from someone's dock or house boat?

The US Army Corps of Engineering says we need special use permits to fly there. I'm not sure how hard it is to get one but I bet it isn't easy. :-(
So I emailed the park management for seeking permission to fly the drone inside the park and they said it’s fine. But now I believe I can land and launch inside the park but cannnot fly on top of the water.. am just assuming. Or else the person emailed it’s Ok to fly may be wrong !!

So I emailed the park management for seeking permission to fly the drone inside the park and they said it’s fine. But now I believe I can land and launch inside the park but cannnot fly on top of the water.. am just assuming. Or else the person emailed it’s Ok to fly may be wrong !!
Not sure the park management knows. They can give you permission to fly inside the park area but probably not above the lake water since the US Army Corp of Engineering managements it. I left a message for the project manager of the USACE to find out when the special use permit is needed. I'll post it when I find out.

Project Manager and Lake Lanier Sign An Agreement

Not sure the park management knows. They can give you permission to fly inside the park area but probably not above the lake water since the US Army Corp of Engineering managements it. I left a message for the project manager of the USACE to find out when the special use permit is needed. I'll post it when I find out.

Project Manager and Lake Lanier Sign An Agreement
That would be really helpful. Please keep us posted. All I know is you have to provide certain date and time for about 30 days prior (I don’t know, may be it’s gonna take 30 days to approve)

That would be really helpful. Please keep us posted. All I know is you have to provide certain date and time for about 30 days prior (I don’t know, may be it’s gonna take 30 days to approve)
I hope it is that easy. I don't see any drones when I'm at the lake so I'm thinking they are going to make it really hard to get permission to fly it on the lake. Not sure what the requirements will be. I'll post when I find out.

I talked to the Project Manager at the US Army Corp of Engineering and he emailed me the forms to get permission to fly at the lakes (one is for recreational use and the other non=recreational).

The forms requests contact information and date, time, location (attach a map) of the flight and UAS Reg. Number (if application). Turnaround time currently is about a week.

Here are the requirements of the Recreational Use form:

Permit Conditions:
- Must be in compliance with Section 336 of Public Law 112-95
- Must be flying for hobby or recreational purposes only
- Must register your UAV if it weighs more than .55 lbs (250 grams) and less than 55lbs (25kg)
- Must fly within visual line of sight
- Must follow community based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community based organization
- UAV must weigh less than 55lbs. unless certified by a community based organization
- Must not fly near other aircraft
- Must notify airport and traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport
- Must not fly near emergency response efforts
- Must stay at least 100’ from vessels and docks.
- Must not operate from dusk to dawn.
- Must not be operated above altitude of 400’
- Permit must be available during flying activities.
- Must not be operated within 500’ of Operational Areas
- Must operate in accordance with applicable state and local laws and FAA regulations.
- Pilot must wear safety vest or otherwise be visibly identifiable.
- UAV operators are liable for damage to private and public property, including USACE property, resulting from operating their UAV or any other activity associated with operating their UAV

Here are the requirements of the Non-Recreational Use form:

PERMIT CONDITIONS:
- Must be in compliance with 14 CFR 107
- Must have Remote Pilot Certificate from FAA
- sUAS must be registered as a “non-modeler”
- Aircraft must weigh less than 55 lbs. including payload
- Must fly in Class G airspace
- Must fly at or below 400’
- Must fly during daylight or civil twilight
- Must fly at or under 100 mph
- Must yield right of way to manned aircraft
- Must not fly directly over people
- Must not fly from a moving vehicle or vessel

I talked to the Project Manager at the US Army Corp of Engineering and he emailed me the forms to get permission to fly at the lakes (one is for recreational use and the other non=recreational).

The forms requests contact information and date, time, location (attach a map) of the flight and UAS Reg. Number (if application). Turnaround time currently is about a week.

Permit Conditions:
- Must register your UAV if it weighs more than .55 lbs (250 grams) and less than 55lbs (25kg)
- Must follow community based safety guidelines and fly within the programming of a nationwide community based organization
- UAV must weigh less than 55lbs. unless certified by a community based organization
- Must notify airport and traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport
- Must operate in accordance with applicable state and local laws and FAA regulations.
- UAV operators are liable for damage to private and public property, including USACE property, resulting from operating their UAV or any other activity associated with operating their UAV

PERMIT CONDITIONS:

Permit Conditions:

PERMIT CONDITIONS:
Thank you so much for the post. Saw it today.. can you share the email ID and how much time will it take for appproval, was it a tedious progress. From the above I can see it’s just the rules. What all other details that we need to provide them.. any update would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for the post. Saw it today.. can you share the email ID and how much time will it take for appproval, was it a tedious progress. From the above I can see it’s just the rules. What all other details that we need to provide them.. any update would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
My bad, you said already it will take a week. But would be helpful if you can share the email to get these forms.. thanks again.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580