DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Pricing On a Mavic Pro Bundle

The Kid

Reactions
In the bundle package, I am looking for the one that has 2 or 3 extra batteries, the VR goggles, etc.

I am moving over from my 3DR SOLO. Primarily because I want object avoidance, which is a non happening function on the SOLO. No flying complaints, what-so-ever. I have 3, 2 flying and 1 new in box, all with gimbals. Going to sell them, but I will post them over in the 3DPilots forum.

I have one other question about the Mavic, about its OA, but I suspect this is not the correct sub-forum to be asking technical questions...If someone would direct me to the correct forum, I will ask over there...

Thanks!

The Kid

Last edited:
In the bundle package, I am looking for the one that has 2 or 3 extra batteries, the VR goggles, etc.

I am moving over from my 3DR SOLO. Primarily because I was object avoidance, which is a non happening function on the SOLO. No flying complaints, what-s-ever. I have 3, 2 flying and 1 new in box, all with gimbals. Going to sell them, but I will post them over in the 3DPilots forum.

I have one other question about the Mavic, about its OA, but I suspect this is not the correct sub-forum to be asking technical questions...If someone would direct me to the correct forum, I will ask over there...

Thanks!

The Kid
Howdy from Wyoming @The Kid , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. You are in the right forum to post questions regarding the mavic and it's OA.

If obstacle avoidance is the only reason you want to switch for a Mavic Pro, you're spending quite a bit of money for technology that is still in the early stages. There are a number of caveats.

If obstacle avoidance is the only reason you want to switch for a Mavic Pro, you're spending quite a bit of money for technology that is still in the early stages. There are a number of caveats.

And....

I'm waiting for those caveats...........

So Amazon, is the best deal?
Amazon is not always the lowest price, but I find the prices are often equal to DJI or lower. There are lots of authorized DJI dealers selling on Amazon too. And if Amazon ships the package, you'll benefit from their 30-day money back guarantee (good to have if something doesn't go as expected with the delivery/unboxing) and their shipping is superb.

Does DJI ever run any 'specials'?
DJI does run sales sometimes. The same sales are usually then offered by authorized DJI dealers.

Try eBay. If you can wait. Occasionally, they have 20% tech discount. But just make sure you buy from authorized DJI dealers.

And....

It's forward facing only, dependent on correct lighting conditions, isn't the greatest at detecting tree branches and other non-solid objects and is limited to speeds under 22mph.

In short, I wouldn't attempt to do anything with OA that I wouldn't with OA off. It's an "oh s%$t" feature that might save you, not something I would count on.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
It's forward facing only, dependent on correct lighting conditions, isn't the greatest at detecting tree branches and other non-solid objects and is limited to speeds under 22mph.

In short, I wouldn't attempt to do anything with OA that I wouldn't with OA off. It's an "oh s%$t" feature that might save you, not something I would count on.
So...Maybe I should reconsider the Mavic pro, and go for the Phantom 4 Pro instead, eh wot?!!

So...Maybe I should reconsider the Mavic pro, and go for the Phantom 4 Pro instead, eh wot?!!

I don't think the P4P is that much better, I believe the additional sensors have quite limited functionality. I'd hold out and see what the MP2 has to offer, but I think we're at least a generation or two away from OA being a truly "I'm buying it for this" feature.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
And....

I own two complete 3DR Solo setups, and just bought a Mavic Pro with 4 batteries and a lot of extras on eBay a few weeks ago.

My experiences so far...

I fly the Mavic in Sport mode much of the time - this disables the collision avoidance. I do this because the collision avoidance causes the Mavic to stop or behave oddly when flying into the sun in the morning or evening. The collision avoidance does not work with small tree branches in front, and definitely not to the sides or rear. For me, it has not kicked in even once - except for one time when I tested it by trying to slowly fly into a large obstacle. I think that small tree branches are the most likely obstacle that drones collide with.

One of the main things I like about the Mavic vs. the Solo is the more precise position holding - especially at low altitude. This is because of the optical flow sensors on the Mavic. The Solo has the possibility of getting optical flow also (it has firmware support), but it will be a fairly expensive add-on.

The other thing I like about the Mavic is the range. The range is fantastic - but only when using the DJI Go 4 app. For some reason that I have not been able to figure out - the video range is TERRIBLE when using Litchi. Constant video freezes if I try to fly more than 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. The Solo actually does much better. (especially with the upgraded WiFi cards I put into one of my Solos)
But using DJI GO 4, I can fly a couple of miles with clear like-of-sight. Awesome! But, very disappointed with Litchi so far.

So, why am I trying to use LItchi?
I bought Litchi because I wanted to use the Litchi mission hub to fly pre-programmed missions. I really like flying pre-programmed missions and was using the Tower and the missions add-on to Solex with my Solo's. DJI GO 4 does not support preprogrammed missions. Litchi mission hub seems very powerful, but I really feel uneasy about flying the missions in Litchi when I'm getting video lock-ups so readily. I'm really hoping I can figure this out because longer pre-programmed missions was one of the major reasons why I added the Mavic to my fleet.

I still love the 3DR Solo. It handles the wind better and the Solo app and Solex aren't constantly nagging you about updating firmware. The video from both drones is very good, but the Mavic gimbal is smoother - especially when flying fast. The Solo gimbal is crippled by an overly stiff HDMI cable.
It's very hard to find spare Solo parts now, but you can still buy new Solo smart batteries at $30 a pop. I only wish Mavic batteries (which are much smaller) were as inexpensive.

MP is $849, $799 with promo code, right now at frys.com. Don't always trust Amazon for the lowest prices. Christmas time there were a number of offers in this range.
No doubt. Prices sometimes change daily, so it's a good idea to check around the day you decide to buy.

What *IS* Mavic Air, exactly?

Thanks for putting up with my dumb questions..HEH...if I am going to potentially spend a grand, I want to *know* what I am buying!

Thought I did right with my 3DR products (IRIS +, and then the SOLO's) Got burned there. As I said, my SOLO's are good, but I have had 'mishaps' with branches, birds etc. I was lucky in that I never 'lost' a bird, meaning 'destroyed'. Minor damage and flying again, sometimes 10 minutes after recovery. (WHEW!!)

But..it *IS* time to move up. I read the mention of a version 2 of the Mavic Pro. Any word on when, or is it just wistful thinking?

T.K.

What *IS* Mavic Air, exactly?

I read the mention of a version 2 of the Mavic Pro. Any word on when, or is it just wistful thinking?

You can see a comparison of features here.

The MP2 hasn't been officially announced. There has been a rumor that such a thing could pop up in the next few months, but I don't think anyone knows for sure at this point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spshow