DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Range Extender for Mavic 2 Pro

Why would you ever need to go farther than the M2P goes with standard controller? It flies way past line of sight with stock antenna? I can fly 4 or 5 miles easy without any signal loss. Don't get why anyone would need any upgrade to Ocusync 2?

Reactions: Thomas B
Why would you ever need to go farther than the M2P goes with standard controller? It flies way past line of sight with stock antenna? I can fly 4 or 5 miles easy without any signal loss. Don't get why anyone would need any upgrade to Ocusync 2?
Above is true IMHO and testing in the rural AZ deserts confirmed it. Also note that the stock antennae are close to omnidirectional from the log flat sides.
Also consider that all extenders, powered and passive, rely on a much more focused (ie narrower) control beam. I have experience with the Alienware antenna. If you elect to fly beyond VLOS this can make flying very tedious at best as you work to direct your control beam.

Reactions: anotherlab
Not all countries have a VLOS in their drone code, I have flown 11km legal flights in Macedonia and Albania, neither of which have VLOS rules or 120metre height restrictions due to almost no light aircraft or helicopter traffic.

Why would you ever go farther than a few miles anyway. If you go over what occusync can give you, you won't have enough battery to get back. No need with M2P to add range extenders. No reason.
Not all countries have a VLOS in their drone code, I have flown 11km legal flights in Macedonia and Albania, neither of which have VLOS rules or 120metre height restrictions due to almost no light aircraft or helicopter traffic.

I really don't understand why anyone needs range ext? I can fly as far as I want, with enough battery to get back home. With Ocusync u don't need them. Waste of money in my opinion. I can fly 5 miles and barely have enough battery to get back without any range ext.
I recently purchased 4Hawks Raptor SR range extender for my Mavic 2 Pro. For all my past DJI drones I've always used DBSMods Range extenders which produced amazing results. I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical before purchasing this brand but can definitely say I'm more than impressed with it's performance and build quality. Inside the box, range extender is provided with everything to get the job done to include tools. The only thing not provided was the 1.5mm Allen key which is definitely needed for the initial screws to get the RC open. Install was definitely a bit nerve wrecking but all worked out. RC was actually not hard at all to open but you have to pay attention before opening the RC as there are very small ribbon cables to unplug. Also while opening, do not and I repeat do not stick any screwdrivers inside the RC to pry open as a board or contacts can easily be scratched to include easily ripping a ribbon cable. Install took all of an hour and 15mins. I'm located here in Miami, FL and haven't done a full test as of yet but can say that there a big difference from stock antennas where I use to get disconnecting issues with RC to aircraft. For those looking for a great range extender, 4Hawks is a great product.

I really don't understand why anyone needs range ext? I can fly as far as I want, with enough battery to get back home. With Ocusync u don't need them. Waste of money in my opinion. I can fly 5 miles and barely have enough battery to get back without any range ext.

It's not just about range, at least for me. A stronger signal also helps if there are obstacles like trees etc.

Reactions: Thanev
So I gather you did the install. I'm interested in a purchase of the antenna but the install video seems a little complicated. Plenty of room for mistakes. What's your opinion?

What you have to keep in mind is that the directional antennas are meant for open space. As soon as obstacles, buildings, trees come into play omni directional antennas (like the original on the remote) are more sufficient.
I have the Raptor SR and it's great - as long as there are no trees between me and the drone. In that case even the stock antenna on the remote or the Smart Controller perform better.
That's why I'm going for the Titan Switch. Gives me both options. Although those whip antennas are crazy long.

Reactions: pelagic_one
The switch, which I have, also comes with a Left Hand Circular panel +5db for use where trees may be a problem, as LHC and RHC are proven to work better in and around trees.

Look at the fifth picture from left, it shows the entire kit laid out, the large rectangular panel is the amplifier, below it is a slightly smaller rectangular panel, that is the left hand circular polarized antenna, it fits onto the front of the amplifier. The third picture from left shows the LHC panel antenna mounted onto the amplifier, and mybad the LHC panel is actually +9db not 5db as I stated earlier

Reactions: MaxHam
Why would you ever go farther than a few miles anyway. If you go over what occusync can give you, you won't have enough battery to get back. No need with M2P to add range extenders. No reason.
No reason in your opinion, however the amount of aftermarket range extenders, increases signal reliability and helps burn through the background radiation at 2.4 and 5.8 ghz created by wifi routers and the like. Also the amount of threads on range extenders and distance flights, as well as interference on all the drone sites i frequent suggest that those of your opinion are in the minority.

Reactions: lolo780
Unless you have the eyes of an eagle, whenever the drone is more than 100' up and 100' away...nobody can keep eyes on a drone. If you have a spotter with bins, he'd better be military sniper trained -- there's no way he could keep up with the drone. Like the guy said previously, use your head when you're flying -- stay away from military installations, airports, police stations, etc and don't use the thing to perv on neighbors.

Unless you have the eyes of an eagle, whenever the drone is more than 100' up and 100' away...nobody can keep eyes on a drone. If you have a spotter with bins, he'd better be military sniper trained -- there's no way he could keep up with the drone.....
Why I use Firehouse strobes... certified to 3.5 miles.... but I get a good 2-2.5 miles VLOS in the desert. 12 second video below:

The way I look at it, I have a car - it can do 120mph -- I never go 120mph, but it's nice to know I can. That's why I'm looking for a range extender worth the money. I don't need to go 5 miles, I'd like to be able to go 2 miles out over the ocean, knowing I could go a little farther if needed. In general I lose LOS after a few hundred feet, even with lights unless there's something for the Mavic to contrast against. My other analogy is you can follow a baseball or a golf ball only so far before you widen out a bit and follow the trajectory -- you can't follow on an ECU all the way without a major bit of luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov