DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best settings for filming videos

Stevee7270

Reactions
Hi all,
I’ve had my mm for a while mainly using for still photos with good results.
I’d like to know how to set the mm up for filming videos and not getting over exposure white-out. It is annoying while some parts of my videos are good and in the same video there are sections of over exposure white-out :(

In the current version of DJI Fly, the only control for video is the exposure value (EV) slider in the lower right corner. To know if you're overexposing, in the settings under Camera -> Advanced Shooting Settings, turn on both Histogram and Overexposure Warning. The Histogram shows the distribution of exposure values from completely dark on the left ("crushed") to completely white on the right ("blown out"), and you can use the EV slider to try to avoid having a big spike on either end. The overexposure warning is also called "zebra striping" because it puts black and white strips over the areas of the image that are over exposed, so you can simply turn the EV down until those are eliminated (or mostly so -- don't worry about small areas that don't have any detail to see anyway). To the right of the EV slider is the AE padlock icon which will disable auto-exposure, locking the EV that you have set, so that won't change as you pan around.

Roger (above) is right on, but if you need a simple and quick solution, just tilt your lens toward the ground and lock the exposure. It’s not as accurate but it’ll come close in a pinch. ?

Reactions: Stevee7270
In the current version of DJI Fly, the only control for video is the exposure value (EV) slider in the lower right corner. To know if you're overexposing, in the settings under Camera -> Advanced Shooting Settings, turn on both Histogram and Overexposure Warning. The Histogram shows the distribution of exposure values from completely dark on the left ("crushed") to completely white on the right ("blown out"), and you can use the EV slider to try to avoid having a big spike on either end. The overexposure warning is also called "zebra striping" because it puts black and white strips over the areas of the image that are over exposed, so you can simply turn the EV down until those are eliminated (or mostly so -- don't worry about small areas that don't have any detail to see anyway). To the right of the EV slider is the AE padlock icon which will disable auto-exposure, locking the EV that you have set, so that won't change as you pan around.
Thanks very much for that info Roger hopefully I can now start to nail some good vids, cheers

Reactions: Oscar van Driel
I find the best setting for video shooting is between -0.33 EV to -0.67 EV.

Fortunately DJI has most probably deliberately chosen not to apply any sort of visible noise reduction, thus the low lights detail remains good and quite usable to boost up to good levels. I find the histogram not very useful because the gamma tend be crushed in the upper highlights, while the graph seems to be affected only by the regular highlights.

Ah... I did forget: 25fps can help with slowing the shutter speed, thus longer exposures and more light to gather. I am going to publish a Mavic Mini video shortly in the dedicated section, most of it is 25 fps sped up to 29.97 which is 1.198 times faster.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman