DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best short right angle Lightning cable for use with iPad mini?

voxelman

Reactions
I am looking for the best short right angle Lightning cable for use with iPad mini that works with the USB A jack. So far the best one seems to be made by Griffin but it is only sold in 10 packs that list for $189.00.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I just bought this one off eBay. Will let you know how I like it. I had a hard time finding one.

6178bfc4ce13fb6139ed4bad572f29a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Last edited:
I'm using this 8" Kanex cable. After removed from its holder, it looks like this:

View attachment 2588
I have been searching for one of these and found the 10-pack (wth?) that Voxelman mentioned. This one is perfect to use with my iPad Mini 4, though Amazon and Kanex's site both list it at 6", which should be even better. Less expensive than the eBay alternatives and I have had good luck with Kanex products (no, I'm NOT trying to sell them), and not so great luck with that kind of stuff when you get it off of eBay!

Not to mention you get a handy little thingie to wrap it around for storage AND a carabiner... you can never have too many carabiners (or UAVs).... :cool:

Reactions: LakeTravis
It kind of cracked me up, and I don't think the one I ordered has it, but there are a few others made by Kanex that are pretty much identical and actually have a fricking bottle opener in one end of the loops. For any beer snobs (like me) who don't drink beer in twist off bottles!!! I just ordered a spare... though I can honestly say, I never drink and fly!!

41ZtWg39OvL._SL1000_ copy.jpg

Reactions: Hauptmann
I ordered one and the length is perfect for my ipad mini, for me the negative is that the USB end is a 90 instead of being straight... and that means it has to be unplugged from the controller every time you want to close its arms.

Reactions: rcheli9
I got one of my Kanex cables yesterday. I'm a little disappointed that the Lightning end of the cable sticks out so far from the base of the iPad. I will probably strip it down to see how much of the plug is really necessary. I'm aware that Lightning connectors contain other electronic components but the size of the Kanex seems excessive.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcheli9
So I performed some surgery on the Kanex Lightning connector. Though it is a long way from being conformal it isn't as bulky as the original. But given my propensities this is probably still a work in progress. What i have in my mind's eye would protrude no more than 3/16 of an inch and wrap around the edge of the iPad.

trimmed Connector 1 small.jpg Original Kanex Connector 1 small.jpg Modified Kanex Cable connected small.jpg

Here is something like what I see in my mind's eye. One image shows an oblique view of the Conformal Lightning Connector model. The other image shows a view of the Conformal Lightning Connector model overlaying the existing modified Kanex

Conformal Lightning Connector Model Oblique.jpg Conformal Lightning Connector Model Overlay.jpg trimmed Connector 1 small.jpg

I hate to post bad reviews like this, but the 8" black Kanex cable recommended to use as a connector between the iPad and controller is quite fragile.
This cable broke after being used about a dozen times. The metal tab of contacts on the lighting connector end pulled out of the cable sheath. This happened when I pulled the cable out of the iPad (grasping it properly by the plug, not the cable). The lightning metal contacts tab stayed inside the iPad and the cable plug sheath now had a hole where the tab used to fit. Unrepairable.

Going to try a similar cable from Drone Valley instead.
DJI Mavic Pro - Custom Data Cable

Reactions: Costo
I hate to post bad reviews like this, but the 8" black Kanex cable recommended to use as a connector between the iPad and controller is quite fragile.
This cable broke after being used about a dozen times. The metal tab of contacts on the lighting connector end pulled out of the cable sheath. This happened when I pulled the cable out of the iPad (grasping it properly by the plug, not the cable). The lightning metal contacts tab stayed inside the iPad and the cable plug sheath now had a hole where the tab used to fit. Unrepairable.

That's a drag, I'm going to go ahead and order the Drone Valley cable as well assuming the Kanex isn't going to hold up for long. Did you buy it off of Amazon and contact them or the manufacturer for a refund? They're usually pretty decent about that.

Reactions: dupuisdaddyo
That's a drag, I'm going to go ahead and order the Drone Valley cable as well assuming the Kanex isn't going to hold up for long. Did you buy it off of Amazon and contact them or the manufacturer for a refund? They're usually pretty decent about that.
Thanks, I didn't know that. I did happen to buy it off Amazon, but it was sold by them through KanexLive.
I'll give the refund idea a try. Any other tips?

I performed a full tear-down of the Lightning end of this cable yesterday. I think that overall the construction quality is typical for the industry. In this application if the connector is subjected to constant flexing as a result of resting the palm against it during use the type of failure you described is to be expected. See the picture below. These core components are standard in virtually every Lightning connector. Note that the portion labeled "Lightning Contact" is a stiff moment arm that is connected to a thin section of printed circuit board, then connected to a wiring harness tab and finally surrounded by a metal shield. Most of the force that is applied to the Lightning cable contact assembly will be focused around what I've labeled the "stress axis" by the surrounding injection molded plastic. This is centered on a 1/32" thick piece of FR-4 fiberglass circuit board material that fractures easily. The conformal design that I've illustrated in a previous post would reduce this stress by reducing the length of the moment arm acting on the stress axis and transfer some of the force directly to the iPad case edge rather than the PCB.
Kanex Lightning Connector Tear-down Labeled.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest