DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Tablet for Mavic.. IS ANDROID SAFE???

Rmwac

Reactions
Hi. I'm an old DJI guy (stoneage Naza M2 homebuilder), but just stepping into the world of RC contollers linked into a Smartphone or tablet via DJIGo4. Put up the Mav Pro today, and my Go4 app crashed twice in one flight. I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S9. Latest Android Update, as well as latest Go4 and aircraft firmware. Very capable cpu, ram, etc on the new Galaxy....I also kill any apps and use Airplane Mode while flying. I'm wondering if had better consider a DEDICATED Apple product (Ipad Mini 4?) before I lose a bird.... ? My Spark also crashes with this phone. I run the OTG cable with both birds... No WiFi. Any wisdom? I suppose I could re-read the side of the Mavic and Spark boxes.... " This product is optimized for use with Apple Products..." I understand that lots of folks use the Nvidia Shield with great success. I think I need something other than a multitasking smartphone to safely fly. I may be forced to buy some Apple product, despite the fact that the Mini 4 is discontinued. Any help is appreciated. Ron

Reactions: JimCanada
Im a dedicated Android person and have used almost every Samsung device to fly for the past few years. I currently use a Tab A, S8+ and S9+ and almost never have app crashes. The 2 S phones are also used as phones and cameras daily, and that still hasnt slowed them down or made DJO Go 4 crash.

How many gb of ram does your S9 have on it? Could it be full with pictures, music or other media?

If I were you, and you are about to give up on the S9 and spend a few hundred on an Apple, I would factory reset your S9, load the apps that you use, and backup any media, etc to another computer or the cloud. Im pretty sure your S9 will run DJI Go 4 without a hitch, no need to go out and buy a different device.

Im a dedicated Android person and have used almost every Samsung device to fly for the past few years. I currently use a Tab A, S8+ and S9+ and almost never have app crashes. The 2 S phones are also used as phones and cameras daily, and that still hasnt slowed them down or made DJO Go 4 crash.

How many gb of ram does your S9 have on it? Could it be full with pictures, music or other media?

If I were you, and you are about to give up on the S9 and spend a few hundred on an Apple, I would factory reset your S9, load the apps that you use, and backup any media, etc to another computer or the cloud. Im pretty sure your S9 will run DJI Go 4 without a hitch, no need to go out and buy a different device.

Thanks for your quick reply! I happen to have a few years old Samsung Tab A T580, 16 gig model. I would like to try to use it as a dedicated device for the drone only. Should I do a factory reset, dump all bloatware, and keep it as skinnied down as possible? I have read and saved the article on preparing android devices for drone use, and will try top incorporate that into the T580 tablet. Another poster said he has had no problems with his, so I'll see how this goes! Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply! I happen to have a few years old Samsung Tab A T580, 16 gig model. I would like to try to use it as a dedicated device for the drone only. Should I do a factory reset, dump all bloatware, and keep it as skinnied down as possible? I have read and saved the article on preparing android devices for drone use, and will try top incorporate that into the T580 tablet. Another poster said he has had no problems with his, so I'll see how this goes! Thanks

It couldnt hurt to try. You might want one of these or other kind to hold the tablet once you are ready to fly. The Tab wont fit in the claws of the controller. @Skyreat

Skyreat mount_003.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-Upgr...-1-spons&keywords=skyreat+tablet+holder&psc=1

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
my Go4 app crashed twice in one flight. I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Look at the instructions in post #2 to configure your phone properly.
Particularly the second point.
I'm wondering if had better consider a DEDICATED Apple product (Ipad Mini 4?) before I lose a bird.... ?
... I may be forced to buy some Apple product, despite the fact that the Mini 4 is discontinued.
There's a common myth about the app running best on Apple devices.
Despite the number of times it gets repeated, it's still a myth.
There are many users that fly Android tablets with no worries at all.
" This product is optimized for use with Apple Products..."
That's Apple's marketing spin.
In simple English it just means: This software works on Apple Products (just like the Android version runs on Android tablets).
I understand that lots of folks use the Nvidia Shield with great success. I think I need something other than a multitasking smartphone to safely fly.
The Nvidia Shield was good in its day, but that was long ago and the app has put on weight since then.
If you are looking for something new for a flying tablet, you can't go past the Huawei M3 or M5.
They are outstanding.

Tesco HUDL 2 and Google nexus 2nd gen.Have used both and not once gave a problem with Phantoms or now with Mavic Pro .
Also cheap to pick up.

i have an HUAWEI mediapad T3 use the app for my phantom 3 and the new app for my MPP never had any issues no crashes the secret is to dissable all apps not required and con fig USB port mine is android 7.0 running snapdragon 425 and on full brightness is perfect with a sun shade it was a very reasonable £109 from currys had it for some 8 months i would also add that it is a dedicated display for my UAVs and not used for anything else

Last edited:
i have an HUAWEI mediapad T3 use the app for my phantom 3 and the new app for my MPP never had any issues no crashes the secret is to dissable all apps not required and con fig USB port mine is android 7.0 running snapdragon 425 and on full brightness is perfect with a sun shade it was a very reasonable £109 from currys had it for some 8 months i would also add that it is a dedicated display for my UAVs and not used for anything else
csn you tell me more about "config USB port"? thanks. ron

csn you tell me more about "config USB port"? thanks. ron
go to Msingers post #2 on this thread and click on the link it will tell you how to config your android tablet it only needs to be done if you are using the USB port under the controller to connect to your tablet otherwise use the side port where you plug in the charger cable most people use the USB at the bottom because the side port is very easy to damage if you are not carefull when you are constntly plugging und unplugging different cables and this can cause issues with conectivity during use if you just use it for charging you lessen the chance of this happening hope this helps

Hi. I'm fairly new to drones (6 months or so) and definately lack in the area ofInformation technology. I have a Samsung Android Note 5 and a Samsung tablet model SM-T355Y, both a few years old. Downloaded the DJI Go4 app on both for my Mav Pro. Cant get the Note 5 to connect however the pad works perfect and has never given me an issue.. As stated, I am somewhat lacking in the I.T area and have a question that you may be able to assist with. I think the forum is great and as a newbie it has been invaluable to me but I cant figure out how to send a message to ALL on the forum. Sure I can pick certain recipients but struggle on how to send a message / question to the general Mavpilot community. Hope someone can assist

Hi. I'm fairly new to drones (6 months or so) and definately lack in the area ofInformation technology. I have a Samsung Android Note 5 and a Samsung tablet model SM-T355Y, both a few years old. Downloaded the DJI Go4 app on both for my Mav Pro. Cant get the Note 5 to connect however the pad works perfect and has never given me an issue.. As stated, I am somewhat lacking in the I.T area and have a question that you may be able to assist with. I think the forum is great and as a newbie it has been invaluable to me but I cant figure out how to send a message to ALL on the forum. Sure I can pick certain recipients but struggle on how to send a message / question to the general Mavpilot community. Hope someone can assist

You're talking to all of us now.
Albeit in someone else's thread.

You can easily start your own thread.

Hi. I'm an old DJI guy (stoneage Naza M2 homebuilder), but just stepping into the world of RC contollers linked into a Smartphone or tablet via DJIGo4. Put up the Mav Pro today, and my Go4 app crashed twice in one flight. I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S9. Latest Android Update, as well as latest Go4 and aircraft firmware. Very capable cpu, ram, etc on the new Galaxy....I also kill any apps and use Airplane Mode while flying. I'm wondering if had better consider a DEDICATED Apple product (Ipad Mini 4?) before I lose a bird.... ? My Spark also crashes with this phone. I run the OTG cable with both birds... No WiFi. Any wisdom? I suppose I could re-read the side of the Mavic and Spark boxes.... " This product is optimized for use with Apple Products..." I understand that lots of folks use the Nvidia Shield with great success. I think I need something other than a multitasking smartphone to safely fly. I may be forced to buy some Apple product, despite the fact that the Mini 4 is discontinued. Any help is appreciated. Ron

hey bro , i use a Huawei MediaPad M3 i love it , works for my 3 Inspires and my Mavic Pro , plus my Phantom 4 , get 1 if you can find it , or a M5

Mavic pro 1 with Samsung note 5 This is an old phone! It flies without much problem. Also flies well with a Samsung note pro 12 inch tab but it is huge!
The only issue is that the DJI remote will want to charge the samsung's battery every time.
The only other issue is the note 5 is getting too small for my eyes, especially in sunny condition.
I truly dislike all apple product as did swear I will never own one.
After reading many posts about how to set up the android device ... I got fed up with USB debugging, calls coming in while flying, text popping up, setting airplane mode and all the hoops one need to jump through.
I got suckered into buying an ipad when it was on sale $249. It has great battery life and an excellent display.
I never looked back.
Use it with this tablet holder. https://www.amazon.com/SKYREAT-Upgr...kyreat+tablet+holder&psc=1&tag=mavicpilots-20
If I have a choice, I would rather support Apple with my $$$ than Huawei.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu