DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Tablet for Mavic

jmorse62

Reactions
I will be getting a tablet to use with the Mavic and would like some input before I decide which one to buy. Any suggestions on tablet and mounts would be appreciated. I normally use Android a Samsung S7 but am open to an IPad if it is a better option. Thanks

iPad Mini 4 with GSM capability - though it's never seen a SIM card - for the GPS ability. I do have a CrystalSky 7.85 Ultra on order but that's probably at least a month or more out!

Good Safe Flying

I am now having what I think are heat related issues using iPad mini 2 and DJI go 4 app on the mavic. I am looking for alternative now.

I've got and had a bunch of different DJI Drones. When I first got into DJI drones, I asked the same question. The overwhelming response was Apple Ipad. (currently supported at the time). I didn't want to spend that kind of cash and kept doing research. But regardless of which forum I visited, Inspire and Phantom forums Apple seemed to have the least amount of problems compared to all the others,,,

I only use Apple Ipads and have had ZERO issues with them. This is everything from an Ipad Air, Ipad Air 2, Ipad Mini 4, and an Ipad Pro. I've have used them on all my drones, Inpsire, Phantom (3 and 4), Mavic Pro, and Spark. Never issues with updates, or video loss, or anything. I also use a Mavmount with my Ipads. Reason is it allows me to use my different sized Ipads AND a Sunshade...

If you do a little research you can find an Ipad for less than full Apple Retail. Check BestBuy as sometimes they have open boxed items or refurbs. I recommend buying the latest Gen Ipad to ensure the processor will be able to handle processing and be supported into the future.

Reactions: drrjv and Subton
I have an ipad 2 but many of the apps I use (Litchi, Autopilot,...) are crashing too often because lack of cpu resources with Ipad 2. This is very annoying. I'm looking now for an alternative

Last edited:
Reactions: MavicMo
I'm using the Samsung Galaxy S2 8 Tablet with mixed results. I have to obey the order of startup: Controller => Drone => Tablet. That's been working so far, but it gets washed out in the sun. The best part is that it fits into the controller so I don't need an additional holder. I am looking forward to a Crystal Sky Ultra at some point.

Android guy myself. Back a few years ago Dji dropped support for ground station (non pro) app for my F450. I was forced to use my wife's iPad to fly waypoints etc. I ended up getting a refurbished iPad mini 4 with cellular cheap. Best tablet I have owned just wish I bought more storage.

I will be getting a tablet to use with the Mavic and would like some input before I decide which one to buy. Any suggestions on tablet and mounts would be appreciated. I normally use Android a Samsung S7 but am open to an IPad if it is a better option. Thanks

Best Tablet would definitely be an IPad Mini or an Nvidia shield K1 (on Android 6) I am using both trouble free.
(I had to downgrade my shield from android 7 to 6 to have it work again trouble free with DJI Go4)
I also got an old samsung tablet A6 to work with DJI Go 4 as a backup with some special settings ;-)

Look around on the forums. Many people including me have had problems with the app crashing on Android. Been talked to death so I don't have to. I need to move forward and am buying an ipad mini 4 with cellular (for the gps). Super not happy as I have an approved device that is about twice as bright and I am not an Apple fan.
IMHO FWIW.

Reactions: drrjv and murad00
iPad mini 4 wifi version, and I connect the WiFi of tablet to my mobile hotspot.

I am new to the drone world and to the Mavic Pro. Have been using my Samsung Note 5, with little issue.

I have a Samsung Tab S2, Model SM-T813, and have discovered what most are talking about. Have to power off tablet to connect. If plug is accidently unplugged, have to restart. What a pain in the rear. I've looked all over, and see different options. I want it to work as designed, not a special sequence of powering on, etc.

Also, when you google the best tablets, Samsung Tab S2 says it is one of the best for the Mavic Pro. Is that a newer version?

What do you all suggest, as this is not my last drone. We are in the process of also buying thermal imaging and spraying drones.

Last edited:
After years of flying with Nexus 9 (back to P3/P4), I finally picked up a "like new" iPad Mini 4 (128GB, cellular) for $325 on eBay. Works great. I can't figure out why Apple doesn't put GPS in their Wifi models. It's the perfect size, not completely problem-free but better overall than the Android ones I've used. I use it now for my Mavic and Spark. A larger tablet will not fit directly in the controllers and it's nice to not have to carry an extension. If you have the money I have the recommend this tablet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00