DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Tablet for Mavic

I really need the GPS abilities.

Of course. So just don't take the cheap way out and get a iPad Mini 4 Wifi version. You need a cellular model - they have GPS and it works fine. You don't need a SIM card or to pay for mobile data service of course. Just tether from your phone or run without internet pre-caching maps.

I stuck an old unused SIM card in mine to make it stop whining about "No SIM". I heard that if you do that, then disable mobile data, you can then remove the SIM card and get no whining but I haven't tried that.

How Apple can sell a tablet for $400 without GPS is crazy to me. But it is what it is. There are PLENTY of perfectly good used cellular ones available on eBay and other places for much much less than the $529 list price.

I am new to the drone world and to the Mavic Pro. Have been using my Samsung Note 5, with little issue.

I have a Samsung Tab S2, Model SM-T813, and have discovered what most are talking about. Have to power off tablet to connect. If plug is accidently unplugged, have to restart. What a pain in the rear. I've looked all over, and see different options. I want it to work as designed, not a special sequence of powering on, etc.

Also, when you google the best tablets, Samsung Tab S2 says it is one of the best for the Mavic Pro. Is that a newer version?

What do you all suggest, as this is not my last drone. We are in the process of also buying thermal imaging and spraying drones.
Been using my s2 for 10 months, not one crash, just follow the order, fly, have fun.

I have iPad mini 4 16gb cellular it works flawlessly but dedicated to Mav so no extraneous software .. never had a single problem with dji go even when I installed ios11 :)

After years of flying with Nexus 9 (back to P3/P4), I finally picked up a "like new" iPad Mini 4 (128GB, cellular) for $325 on eBay. Works great. I can't figure out why Apple doesn't put GPS in their Wifi models. It's the perfect size, not completely problem-free but better overall than the Android ones I've used. I use it now for my Mavic and Spark. A larger tablet will not fit directly in the controllers and it's nice to not have to carry an extension. If you have the money I have the recommend this tablet.
The ability to process a GPS exists on the motherboard of iPads, the issue is that the GPS uses the same antenna as the cellular signal, and to get that antenna, you have to buy the cellular model.
If you take an iPad apart, the antenna and the way it is implemented is much more than what you'd think was just a piece of wire. They have to, in fact, make a case modification (vs the wifi-only) that creates a break in the aluminum case and allows for a plastic insert along the entire top so that the signal can pass through. I'm not saying that it justifies the huge cost difference, but it is not a simple thing. And there are both left and right antennas. Of course you're also paying for the multimode cell receiver and sim slot.
One might think that all this wouldn't be necessary because it isn't for the wifi antenna....right? But on the ipads, the wifi antenna is the entire aluminum case, which works well for the shorter ranges required for wifi reception.

You can get a good look at what's involved here:
iPad mini 4 LTE Left Cellular Antenna Replacement
iPad mini 4 LTE Right Cellular Antenna Replacement

and this is what the wifi antenna looks like (this is an earlier model, but essentially the same concept -- screwed into the frame. Picture from © www.ifixit.com ):

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 10.02.01 AM.png

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
I really need the GPS abilities.
Apple's AMAZING marketing skills. If you want basic features, you need to spend $100-200 more. They did the same thing with the new iPhones: they state fast charging and wireless charging as one of their features. But to use the fast charger, you need a special wall adapter and special cable, totaling around $60. If you want wireless charging, you need to spend another $60. All that on top of a $1000 dollar phone. At least Samsung includes the fast charger in the box with all of their phones.

T713, never an issue
I've had 713 and have 813 and plenty of issues. For starters it won't even connect to USB without restarting. Many app crashes and restarts mid flight. Compass not accurate. Need to put a different ROM on it to avoid connect issues.

I am happy with 715Y, same processor as 710. So far no problem at all, very solid. It's dedicated for drone use only, so very little apps installed. The only issue is compass in "radar" view not accurate. North relative to the drone is accurate, but drone position relative to the RC is not. It will show the drone as to the left or right of the RC when it is actually dead in front. Not sure if it's the tablet issue or the modded apk issue.

Last edited:
I will be getting a tablet to use with the Mavic and would like some input before I decide which one to buy. Any suggestions on tablet and mounts would be appreciated. I normally use Android a Samsung S7 but am open to an IPad if it is a better option. Thanks
Nvidia shield K1.

Lenovo Tab3 8 Plus, 3Gb RAM, 2Ghz CPU runs G04 with no issues. The WiFi only version has GPS.
Specs: Lenovo Tab3 8 Plus - Full tablet specifications
Asian online stores list it as the Lenovo P8 priced ~$200 (less for the white version).
Downsides are Android 6 only,16Gb ROM (has Micro SD card slot though) and its too wide to fit in the RC arms.
There's also the Tab4 8 plus with the same specs, but Android 7, type C USB, fingerprint reader and a classier case.

old nexus 7 2013 here running android 5.1.1. Only got 3 hours on my mavic but works great, no crashes , runs smooth with just the occasional stutter. Fits in the control perfect too after fitting a right angle short usb cable.

I'm going through a drone training class all next week. Will use an old Galaxy S5 for the class so that my phone is still a phone.

Then I will work on the tablet. I'm thinking an S2 T710?

DragonTouch V10 is working fine for me. Inexpensive ($99 new) and it has GPS and a HDMI output. Careful with some of the other DragonTouch models, many do not have built in GPS.

Shawn

Been using my s2 for 10 months, not one crash, just follow the order, fly, have fun.

I have the S2 Tab, model 813, and you have to go through a strict start up. If it is unplugged during flight, then have to restart and cross fingers to hope it regains connection.

My Ipad Mini 4 has been flawless. Even on max brightness, it outlasts my MP's four batteries by far. That said, I would still upgrade to the large Crystal Sky if it would run Litchi (it won't).

GPPMS,
What tablet mount are you using for your Nvidia Shield K1. I have a dedicated Nvidia Shield K1 for my Inspire 1V2 and another for my P4. I thought a K1 was too big for my Mavic Pro controller.

74CF12C1-C251-4F02-B03E-7F50EC5F76BB.jpeg
After years of flying with Nexus 9 (back to P3/P4), I finally picked up a "like new" iPad Mini 4 (128GB, cellular) for $325 on eBay. Works great. I can't figure out why Apple doesn't put GPS in their Wifi models. It's the perfect size, not completely problem-free but better overall than the Android ones I've used. I use it now for my Mavic and Spark. A larger tablet will not fit directly in the controllers and it's nice to not have to carry an extension. If you have the money I have the recommend this tablet.

This is how I use my IPad Pro with the controller, made a simple acrylic adapter that slides in behind the IPad
I love the pro when shooting video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure