DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best video settings and what filters?

cheers for the advice guys! still dont know what brand of filters to go for but will continue doing home work and figure it out. think im going to start with a 8,16 and 32 and see how that works out.
That should cover your trip pretty well. I have the 4, 8, 16 set and will probably pick up the 32.
The ND4 would be more for a dismal overcast day which you aren't going to have on your trip (;)). The ND64 would be about right for filming someone snow skiing on a sunny day. Dont thing you will see that either.

As far as brand, I have PolarPro and am quite satisfied with them. I am coming from a DSLR background where I found price does make a difference. I am less than a year into drones so I am still learning how it works here. The PolarPros are on the expensive side.
On the non expensive side I have not used but have heard good things about Skyreat, and Freewell. I haven't heard any feedback on the DJI ones.

I personally would not stop the aperture down past F4.5 as the sharpness starts softening after that.

Have a great trip, I always wanted to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randall8686
That should cover your trip pretty well. I have the 4, 8, 16 set and will probably pick up the 32.
The ND4 would be more for a dismal overcast day which you aren't going to have on your trip (;)). The ND64 would be about right for filming someone snow skiing on a sunny day. Dont thing you will see that either.

As far as brand, I have PolarPro and am quite satisfied with them. I am coming from a DSLR background where I found price does make a difference. I am less than a year into drones so I am still learning how it works here. The PolarPros are on the expensive side.
On the non expensive side I have not used but have heard good things about Skyreat, and Freewell. I haven't heard any feedback on the DJI ones.

I personally would not stop the aperture down past F4.5 as the sharpness starts softening after that.

Have a great trip, I always wanted to go.

I think i am going to go for the Skyreat ones. nothing but good reviews on them and i can get a lot more of them ND4-64 in PL and ND for less than the PolarPro ones 4-16. Reviews all seem to say same image quality

I think i am going to go for the Skyreat ones. nothing but good reviews on them and i can get a lot more of them ND4-64 in PL and ND for less than the PolarPro ones 4-16. Reviews all seem to say same image quality
What I noticed on the lesser expensive ones is the amount of color casting they have which can be fixed in post so not such a big deal. Most all seem to have good clarity.

Just a quick one, the 'judder' is probably because you have no motion blur being generated. You can either try using the 180degree rule as a start, or put it in during post (although post wont give you per object, just scene). The judder is because your brain can 'see' missing information, and that is the motion blur. <snip>
The OP didn't specifically mention judder, but instead said that the video was "choppy" at 4K 30 fps. I'm not trying to over-parse his words, but it does make me think his problem may be something other than shutter speed.

One possibility is that the playback software isn't keeping up, something that is quite common with 4K video, no matter what frame rate. The solution is to try a different media player, use faster computer hardware, or play on a TV set that can keep up with 4K data rates.

The other possibility is that 30 fps (which is what he is using), just like 24 and 25 fps, simply isn't fast enough to provide true persistence of vision. You really need to get to 48, 50, or 60 fps for that. With the Mavic 2, this means shooting in HD rather than 4K.

It is true that motion blur can somewhat alleviate the problems inherent in slower frame rates, but larger shutter angles (slower shutter speeds) and the resulting motion blur are normally used to avoid the "strobing" effect you get with high shutter speeds, and can not avoid the judder you get when panning horizontally.

A question related to video settings. I tried setting up video settings on my iPhone without the controller or drone turned on. In some cases I could change the settings but they would not save and in other cases I could make any changes.

Does the drone and/or controller have to be on to change and save video settings or should I be able to change the settings in the app on the iPhone without either being turned on?

Does the drone and/or controller have to be on to change and save video settings or should I be able to change the settings in the app on the iPhone without either being turned on?
The drone needs to be powered on since those settings are stored on the drone.

The drone needs to be powered on since those settings are stored on the drone.

Thank msinger. In all the videos I've watched no one has mentioned that. I guess most people understand that as a given.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661